PDA

View Full Version : Data recovery companies

brasscoe
10-11-2010, 2:20 PM
Anyone know a good local to So-Cal data recovery company? I have a client in need of physical hard disk recovery. It's a 1tb Seagate, its spins up, doesn't click, but is not being recognized by any computer via internal sATA or external USB enclosure. I have an identical drive handy and tried swapping the back-plates (which has worked in the past on occasion) and still no luck.

I know it's going to be expensive but was hoping there may be some local company with a clean room and experience to work with, any advice is appreciated.

sfwdiy
10-11-2010, 3:43 PM
Anyone know a good local to So-Cal data recovery company? I have a client in need of physical hard disk recovery. It's a 1tb Seagate, its spins up, doesn't click, but is not being recognized by any computer via internal sATA or external USB enclosure. I have an identical drive handy and tried swapping the back-plates (which has worked in the past on occasion) and still no luck.

I know it's going to be expensive but was hoping there may be some local company with a clean room and experience to work with, any advice is appreciated.

Where in SoCal are you located? Have you confirmed whether or not it's a mechanical failure? I'd be more than happy to take a look at it for you if you're close enough. If not, I work with one of the best Data Recovery companies in the business and I can get you a bit of a discount on the recovery if you go through them. Send me a PM if you want more info!

--B

JDay
10-11-2010, 3:57 PM
http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/

Kodemonkey
10-11-2010, 4:02 PM
Did you try the freezer method first?

http://www.datarecoverypros.com/hard-drive-recovery-freeze.html

brasscoe
10-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Where in SoCal are you located? Have you confirmed whether or not it's a mechanical failure? I'd be more than happy to take a look at it for you if you're close enough. If not, I work with one of the best Data Recovery companies in the business and I can get you a bit of a discount on the recovery if you go through them. Send me a PM if you want more info!

--B

Sent a PM, I'd like to work with a local company so let me know if I can get the drives to you, thanks.

johnmichle515
10-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Hi !

I have used a data recovery software last week and it works really better for me and i would suggest you to try it because , this software recover lost data due to deleted,formatted,corrupted,damaged,partitioned over a single mouse click. Here is link:: http://www.windowsdatarecovery.com

Thanks

high_revs
10-12-2010, 10:36 PM
does running your own data recovery software make it harder for the clean room guys to extract the data later? kind of like the sign on auto shops saying "xxx more if we fix what you tried to fix.?

if it's business related data, probably best to send to experts/clean-room. it'll be costly. i had to pay for my personal one and they had to to do 2 passes themselves using typical recovery software. had to do it sector by sector or so. not 100% satisfied, but got most of my data just not my images.

just wondering if doing it on your own might make it more expensive for the clean-room folks.

p.s. i thougth the freezer method is only for locked drives? i.e. no spin?

sfwdiy
10-13-2010, 10:43 AM
does running your own data recovery software make it harder for the clean room guys to extract the data later? kind of like the sign on auto shops saying "xxx more if we fix what you tried to fix.?

if it's business related data, probably best to send to experts/clean-room. it'll be costly. i had to pay for my personal one and they had to to do 2 passes themselves using typical recovery software. had to do it sector by sector or so. not 100% satisfied, but got most of my data just not my images.

just wondering if doing it on your own might make it more expensive for the clean-room folks.

p.s. i thougth the freezer method is only for locked drives? i.e. no spin?

It depends on the type of software you use, and it depends on what's wrong with the drive.

Drive failures fall into one of two categories: Mechanical failures and logical failures.

A mechanical failure occurs when some physical part of the drive breaks and ceases to function properly. When the drive won't spin up or the read-write head gets stuck, these are mechanical failures.

A logical failure occurs when the data on the drive becomes corrupted for whatever reason, but is still mechanically functional.

There are a number of different data recovery software products out there that work in different ways. Apps like Spinrite, or Diskwarrior for Mac are used for logical failures. They attempt to rebuild the directory structure of the disk so that the files can be accessed.

Trying to use an app like Spinrite on a drive that is failing mechanically will likely just cause it to die faster. If the heads have hit the platters, any further spinning of the drive is going to continue to destroy data and make recovery more difficult.

If a drive is partially functional there are apps that will attempt to clone the data onto a working drive so that a logical recovery can be attempted.

There are also apps that scan for deleted files and allow them to be recovered without altering the existing data structure on the disk.

The trick is being able to recognize the type of failure you're dealing with and choosing the appropriate tool for the job.

In the case of a head crash or a total mechanical failure clean room recovery is often the only option.

--B

Angel_LAN
11-21-2010, 8:37 AM
Where are you based?

sfwdiy
11-21-2010, 2:31 PM
Where are you based?

Me?

I'm in Los Angeles, Studio City to be exact.

--B

Chipster27
11-21-2010, 2:58 PM
I used DataMechanics in Irvine once. Very reasonable pricing and they fully recovered my drive. I tried software, booting off different machine, booting as a master, as a slave, etc...nothing worked. They are in Irvine and were fast and fair.

http://www.datamechanix.com/

thrasherfox
11-21-2010, 3:12 PM
I have tools whereas I can often recover data from a drive even if the computer doesnt even recognize it. Especialy if the computer gives you the error the drive needs to be formated, I can almost always get data off of it.

In cases where I have not been able to, I used a company called drive savers.

I am one of their clients and I get discounts if I send the drive in.

So if you wanted to you could send the drive to me, if I cannot retreive the data I can send the drive to drive savers, have them give me a quote and then I would give you a quote to see if you wanted to pursue it.

or you can just deal with them directly. I dont know how much if any money I could save you so probably dealing with them directly might work for you best

their web site is:

http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

They are also certified data recover on federal government systems up to Secret. however the last time I talked to them I think they were working on becoming certified for data recover on Top Secret data for the government.

Let me know if I can help (PM me)

Ron