PDA

View Full Version : HK P7 series

45DAVID1
10-11-2010, 12:02 PM
What is so appealing to people with these models? :confused:

redcliff
10-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Very accurate (fixed barrel), very reliable (will extract with extractor removed from the pistol), goes from totally safe to cocked ready to rock with just a tightenning of your grip leaving a nice crisp trigger pull. Also it's a slim pistol for concealed carry, and the low bore axis helps in recoil recovery, as does the gas operated action.

They're pretty awesome if you get a chance to shoot one.

gti_20ae
10-11-2010, 12:26 PM
IMO, it looks really sexy, it is unique, accurate, and the size is perfect. I think it is the best look HK pistol there is.

45DAVID1
10-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Very accurate (fixed barrel), very reliable (will extract with extractor removed from the pistol), goes from totally safe to cocked ready to rock with just a tightenning of your grip leaving a nice crisp trigger pull. Also it's a slim pistol for concealed carry, and the low bore axis helps in recoil recovery, as does the gas operated action.

Ok, I noticed the P7 PSP models go for alot less than the P7M8,10, and 13 models. How do the P7 PSP's compare to the others?

fennecfrank
10-11-2010, 12:28 PM
1. the size. 9mm in a body that's normally for a .38 auto.
2. it's considered to be the handgun that can be drawn and fired the fastest.
3. safety by the squeeze cocker.
4. accuracy. the barrel is fixed on the frame. no movement of the barrel during firing at all.
5. technology of the unique gas-delayed blowback locking system

and

6. HK seized production of P7.................

fennecfrank
10-11-2010, 12:31 PM
P7M8, P7M10, and P7M13 have magazine release on the side, like USP's.

P7 PSP's, on the other hand, have traditional magazine release at the bottom of the grip.... just like P9S. This design, personally, is not as good. You'll need both hands to release the magazine. While you can only use one hand for the other one, which was widely used by most semi-automatic handgun manufacturers today.

45DAVID1
10-11-2010, 12:34 PM
1. the size. 9mm in a body that's normally for a .38 auto.
2. it's considered to be the handgun that can be drawn and fired the fastest.
3. safety by the squeeze cocker.
4. accuracy. the barrel is fixed on the frame. no movement of the barrel during firing at all.
5. technology of the unique gas-delayed blowback locking system

and

6. HK seized production of P7.................

If the gun is so popular why haven't they brought it back or why hasn't someone like Taurus tried to copy the design?

redcliff
10-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Many people prefer the PSP's bottom magazine release to the M series for concealed carry. It's much harder to inadvertently release the magazine while carrying.

The M series have a heat guard in the trigger housing of somewhat dubious effectiveness also.

fennecfrank
10-11-2010, 12:36 PM
also

PSP's don't have that plastic "burning" guard around the trigger guard like P7M8, P7M10, and P7M13.

it's actually a must for this gun. Even for the ones with this plastic burning guard, the gun is burning hot after firing 25 to 30 rounds in 5 minutes.

redcliff
10-11-2010, 12:39 PM
If the gun is so popular why haven't they brought it back or why hasn't someone like Taurus tried to copy the design?

Its a very expensive pistol to build. The P7 PSP's are cheaper than M8's because there is a lot more of them out there, including a number of US and German police trade-ins.

The M10's and M13's are some of the rarest and command higher prices, although many people don't care for their grip width. The K3 convertible calibre pistols are also highly sought after by collectors.

Cyc Wid It
10-11-2010, 12:42 PM

Taurus? Really? ...

45DAVID1
10-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Its a very expensive pistol to build. The P7 PSP's are cheaper than M8's because there is a lot more of them out there, including a number of US and German police-tradeins.

The M10's and M13's are some of the rarest and command higher prices, although many people don't care for their grip width. The K3 convertible calibre pistols are also highly sought after by collectors.

I like the design but can't afford the high price of the M13's. The M8 is
do-able but the PSP would be an easy buy. Of course the heat is a problem but I wouldn't be shooting it excessively and I'm not so worried about quick magazine changes.

Would refinishing or hard chroming a PSP model affect the overall value of a gun like that?

BHPFan
10-11-2010, 12:51 PM
I am anti-HK, but either the P7 PSP or M8 are pistols that I don't mind owning. I used to own one over 10 years ago, but made a nice profit selling it.
Pros:
Slim and compact.
Ultra-accurate that it can put bigger pistols to shame and give a good run for the money to more expensive tricked out pistols.
Not much recoil due weight, low bore axis, fixed barrel and gas system.
Very safe to carry due to that squeeze cocker grip.

Cons:
For a compact carry pistol, it is very heavy.
It gets extremely hot after shooting 20+ rounds.
Parts and accessories are expensive and may be a little harder to find as these pistols are discontinued.

redcliff
10-11-2010, 1:35 PM
I like the design but can't afford the high price of the M13's. The M8 is
do-able but the PSP would be an easy buy. Of course the heat is a problem but I wouldn't be shooting it excessively and I'm not so worried about quick magazine changes.

Would refinishing or hard chroming a PSP model affect the overall value of a gun like that?

Assuming you bought a police trade-in/used PSP I wouldnt think that refinishing it would have any negative impact on its value. A lot of people send their P7's to Robar for refinishing.

powerstrokemike
10-11-2010, 2:26 PM
think there a good lookin gun.. would love to get me a P7M10 :)

fennecfrank
10-11-2010, 2:34 PM
I used to have 2 P7M8's and 1 P7 PSP. Now I'm down to just 1 P7M8.

The police trade-in's are cheaper than the regular one. In order to tell if one's a police trade-in from Germany, just see if the bluing appears "purple". These are mostly P7 PSP's.

For myself, this gun is not a range gun. It's a very nice gun to have, however, it's not a range gun. Like I posted before, this gun, even the M seires, gets so freaky hot after 25-30 rounds within 5 minutes. PSP's, on the other hand, gets hotter even faster.

As for P7M8, it has the signature HK polygonal rifling. I'm not sure of P7M13's, but I'm sure that P7M10's do not have this polygonal rifling, they have the traditional rifling. Keep this in mind if the "polygonal rifling" is important for you.

I think there's someone in the buy/trade forum selling his P7M10's along with 2 P9S'.

virulosity
10-11-2010, 2:36 PM

its a very good design for concealed carry (maybe the best ever?) and there is nothing else like it. I sold mine because I didn't buy it for that purpose, there are more pleasurable to shoot autos for target shooting. Basically, its what James Bond should have carried instead of the Walther. ;)

Saigon1965
10-11-2010, 3:07 PM
Expensive to make -

Too many other design out there that's cheaper to copy -

9mmepiphany
10-11-2010, 4:21 PM
The cheap PSPs you see on the market are like the Sig P6s out there. They are German LE trade-ins that were imported...that's why they aren't on the roster.

I have an original PSP and a M8 that was a NJSP trade-in that I got from Century Arms when the SP changed guns. I actually prefer the PSP more, but I have more trigger time with it as I carried it as my duty gun for a while.

The preferred refinish for the P7 is hardchrome...it is common enough that it doesn't hurt it's value. The favored refinishing companies used to be Tripps and Fords...but Tripp got out of the refinishing business

agent.5
10-11-2010, 4:23 PM
Only p7m8 is on the CA roster.

Squidward
10-11-2010, 4:25 PM
Not in order of importance:
Uniqueness of design
Accuracy
Carries well
Did I mention accuracy?

45DAVID1
10-11-2010, 5:24 PM
Only p7m8 is on the CA roster.

Yes, however I work for a PD and non-roster guns get bought and sold all the time.

agent.5
10-11-2010, 5:30 PM
Yes, however I work for a PD and non-roster guns get bought and sold all the time.

In that case, I recommend a Grade A PSP, as it is cheaper, and in the very very rare event that you do not like it, you will be able to resell it and actually make a profit.

Besides a couple very minor points, a PSP is identical to a m8.

leelaw
10-11-2010, 5:51 PM

It would kill the collector's value, but if someone wants that specific treatment in a PSP, it might be worth it to them. Count on it lowering the resale value of your gun.

fennecfrank
10-11-2010, 5:55 PM
I forgot to mention that PSP is slightly different than P7M8 in frame. For myself, the PSP fits me alot better than the M8. M8 is slightly bigger.

CrippledPidgeon
10-11-2010, 6:26 PM
Basically, its what James Bond should have carried instead of the Walther. ;)

Well he does get to kill that German doctor in Tomorrow Never Dies with one...

And so you guys know, the purple or "plum" bluing is characteristic of pretty much all blued HK guns produced in the 70's and 80's, not just the police trade-ins. You can actually tell an old police gun from not if there's a bit of metal ground off the right side of the slide. This was to obliterate a marking that identified the gun as being a police gun.

Peter W Bush
10-11-2010, 6:32 PM

Help a brother out!!!

9mmepiphany
10-11-2010, 6:54 PM
I forgot to mention that PSP is slightly different than P7M8 in frame. For myself, the PSP fits me alot better than the M8. M8 is slightly bigger.
the major differences are that the M8 has:
1. taller sights, retained with set screws
2. larger trigger guard to allow for use with gloves
3. "winged" mag releases on both sides of the trigger guard
4. protruding striker bushing at the rear of the slide, so it could be removed without the tool
5. polymer shield above trigger to deflect heat transfer
6. different mags to accomodate the mag releases

Heiko
10-11-2010, 7:30 PM
I have a P7 PSP and think it is a really amazing pistol. The design is one of a kind and has never been replicated. It is an expensive gun to produce and has ahead of their time features like the fluted chamber a al MP5, squeeze cock mechanism, and polygonal rifling. It is super accurate and reilable. The bore axis is so low that it feels like wherever your index finger points is where it hits. Also, there is no feed ramp. The magazine and grip angle are perfect for the top round in the magazine to go almost straight into the chamber. It's truly a remarkable piece of German engineering.

I used to carry my P7 which was a trip since they are relatively rare and expensive. People would always be taken aback that my carry gun was a P7. As a carry gun I must say that it was not the best. The gun is very grip weighted so the heaviest part of the gun sat outside the holster. It got a little tiresome. Holsters were hard to find too. I managed to get a couple of good concealment rigs, one from Horseshoe Leather in England! Magazines are expensive too. I found some PSP magazines at the last show AZ and the guy wanted $69 each; they're 8 round magazines. Yikes. I don't even mind the European heel catch magazine.

I personally do not care for the M10 at all. The slide is so much bigger than the 9mm that the bore axis is significantly raised and therefore the gun loses one of its great features. It also got easier in the M10 version.

If you can get a nice M8 or PSP and appreciate revolutionary gun engineering then you've got to have one. Mine is no longer a carry gun and mostly sits in the safe. I shoot it once in a great while but i love it and will probably never sell it.

J-cat
10-11-2010, 7:44 PM
Very accurate (fixed barrel).

It is no more accurate than a Glock, despite it's fixed barrel.

Regulus
10-11-2010, 8:51 PM
And so you guys know, the purple or "plum" bluing is characteristic of pretty much all blued HK guns produced in the 70's and 80's, not just the police trade-ins.

+1

http://yahnet.net//images/hk/P7M8/P7M8_11.jpg

cannon
10-11-2010, 8:55 PM

Have several of each and disagree. The Glock is the close though.

brando
10-11-2010, 8:57 PM
I bought my M13 for $800 in Germany while stationed at Panzer K back in the 90s. To this day, only my GRP give it a run for its money as a fast, accurate pistol. It's really hard to beat how quick and accurately you can dump magazines from this handgun. The only downside is the frames get hot - use gloves.

jdberger
10-11-2010, 9:08 PM
Ditto on the "hot".

Not like Mexican Restaurant "this plate is hot" hot - more like "OMFG! OUCH!" hot (especially when you reholster in an IWB.....

jessegpresley
10-11-2010, 10:03 PM

I own a Glock and a P7M8; I'm much better with the HK. The single action trigger is very nice.

9mmepiphany
10-11-2010, 10:32 PM
I should point out that the P7 doesn't heat up to unbearable temperatures after the first shot.

During firearms qualification periods (36 rounds) it got toasty, but never got too hot to handle. I would estimate it would get seriously uncomfortable after 50+ rounds...that's you signal to put it down, with the slide locked back, and shoot your other one for the next 50 rounds ;)

BTW: the plum colored slides are a function of the heat treatment H&K used on the P7

45DAVID1
10-12-2010, 6:41 AM
Thank you all for the info. I think I will just go with the PSP, wear gloves while shooting her and save a few dollars at the sametime.

J-cat
10-12-2010, 7:19 AM
Have several of each and disagree. The Glock is the close though.

Have you done any formal accuracy testing with them? Published data disagrees with you.

leelaw
10-12-2010, 7:35 AM
Can you link to the published data?

J-cat
10-12-2010, 7:47 AM
Why sure:

www.gunfaqs.org/p7faq/p7inprint.htm

This is a collection of scanned gun magazine articles from the last 30 years.

redcliff
10-12-2010, 9:27 AM
A P7m8 can shoot approximately 1.5" at 25 yards. To me that qualifies as "very accurate", which is what I posted. Not sure why the off-tangent comparison to Glocks came into this thread.

Heres a quote from GunTests which doesn't accept advertising dollars from gun manufacturers:

H&Ks USP series pistols are competent, reliable pistols, in many ways among the better guns available today. Then you come upon the P7s, in this case the P7M8. All steel, compact, ultra-reliable, high tech; It features a recoil reducing system with an internal piston. It didnt really dominate like we thought it would in accuracy, but it still won out. Our break-in sessions featured a wider variety of ammo than most shooters even imagine, and this gun was more accurate with a wider variety of cartridges than any other factory gun in recent memory. The list price is $1,222, but weve seen street prices in Gun List ranging from $1,275 for a nickeled P7M8 (new in box), to $950 for a new gun, to a low of $650 for blued model as new in box.

J-cat
10-12-2010, 9:36 AM
When that gunfaq link starts working again you'll see the P7 is a 2.5" 25-yard gun.

redcliff
10-12-2010, 10:08 AM
When that gunfaq link starts working again you'll see the P7 is a 2.5" 25-yard gun.

By that shooter with that ammo with that gun? I've seen other tests of P7m8's shooting 3.2" at 50 yards.

Seriously, whats your problem with this pistol? Have you ever shot one? I own 2 P7m8's, a P7PSP, and a P7K3 in .22lr and .380. The only Glock I've shot that can shoot as well in my hands is my customized Model 34. A stock Glock 19 doesn't come close. I have several 1911's that can outshoot a P7 also, but so what?

45DAVID1
10-12-2010, 2:39 PM
Would a missing box affect the value of the handgun?

Say the gun (P7M8) without the box is $1099 but has both magazines? Is that worth it

jdberger
10-12-2010, 2:41 PM
You're looking at it wrong.

Each additional item adds to the value.

Carbon scraper, extra mag, Nills grips, Box, Box with original serial number, original receipt, Del Fatti holster, etc.

That said, I disagree with Leelaw regarding "refinishing". With any other gun, he'd be generally correct - but secondary market prices don't seem to bear out the theory that hard chromed (or NP3) P7M8s command a lower price than ones with original blue. These guns are shooters (excepting the Jubilees). They're meant to by used, holstered, shot, etc.

45DAVID1
10-12-2010, 2:47 PM
You're looking at it wrong.

Each additional item adds to the value.

Carbon scraper, extra mag, Nills grips, Box, Box with original serial number, original receipt, Del Fatti holster, etc.

That said, I disagree with Leelaw regarding "refinishing". With any other gun, he'd be generally correct - but secondary market prices don't seem to bear out the theory that hard chromed (or NP3) P7M8s command a lower price than ones with original blue. These guns are shooters (excepting the Jubilees). They're meant to by used, holstered, shot, etc.

Okay, so the more you got the more it's worth. If I were to buy one it wouldn't be to resell (unless I got it dirt cheap). What would a good price for a P7M8 be that is missing the box?

jdberger
10-12-2010, 2:49 PM
A good price would be $800.

A reasonable price would be around $1000.

Settle for something in between.

Then start looking for accessories. Google "Cult of the P7"

xtalpimp
10-12-2010, 2:58 PM
It was interesting to visit Mexico city about six years ago and the local police used the P7m13 as standard issue. Also if you need to be ready to shoot in absolute silence this gun makes noise as you cock it.

DRM6000
10-12-2010, 4:21 PM
Would a missing box affect the value of the handgun?

Say the gun (P7M8) without the box is $1099 but has both magazines? Is that worth it

just for comparison sake, i got a near-mint p7m8 (with no warning wording) with box, manual, carbon scraper, three hk mags, desantis paddle holster and mag pouch for $1000 on consignment.

leelaw
10-12-2010, 5:15 PM

I said It would kill the collector's value

In the eyes of a collector the original finish is of importance.

Personally, I'd pay more for a P7M8 with a cera plate or hard chrome finish on it, than a blued finish, but that's because I'd buy one to shoot and carry.

9mmepiphany
10-12-2010, 7:17 PM
make sure that M8 isn't a NJSP trade-in. They came with no box, but two mags. Mine weren't marked NJSP but you could tell from the exterior wear that they had ridden in holsters for awhile.

I got mine from Century for $678 each back in the day...your price seems a little high depending on condition

Psypher
10-12-2010, 8:39 PM
Amazing gun. Will be my next purchase after my black rifle build. (unless I find a good SL8-6 at a decent price :44:)

fennecfrank
10-12-2010, 8:43 PM
Turners in Signal Hill is selling a P7M8 right now:

http://www.turners.com/shop/gundetail.php?id=8726

$1,000

45DAVID1
10-12-2010, 8:45 PM
Turners in Signal Hill is selling a P7M8 right now:

http://www.turners.com/shop/gundetail.php?id=8726

$1,000

I saw that too. However, a 2 hour drive just to look isn't really worth it to me that much. Now, if they had photos up then it might be more worth it.

J-cat
10-12-2010, 9:30 PM
By that shooter with that ammo with that gun? I've seen other tests of P7m8's shooting 3.2" at 50 yards.

Seriously, whats your problem with this pistol? Have you ever shot one? I own 2 P7m8's, a P7PSP, and a P7K3 in .22lr and .380. The only Glock I've shot that can shoot as well in my hands is my customized Model 34. A stock Glock 19 doesn't come close. I have several 1911's that can outshoot a P7 also, but so what?

I don't have a problem with the gun, just with the accuracy claims. I'd like to see the 3.2" at 50 yards test. Where did you read that? I tried everything possible with my M8 but to no avail. The best group I got was around 1" at 50 feet. And it never repeated itself.

pyromensch
10-12-2010, 9:33 PM
it is one sexy looking pistol, would have liked one, couldn't afford one

faterikcartman
10-13-2010, 12:10 AM

Spare me having to read every page there -- just quote the part where the gun was shot out of a ransom rest with match grade ammo at 25 yards.

Thank you in advance.

45DAVID1
10-17-2010, 4:37 PM
I got my hands on one of these badboys to test out. Very nice, however... they don't mix well with my carpal tunnel. I had a hard time squeezing it. Oh well. it looks nice but it's off my want list now.

J-cat
10-18-2010, 8:44 AM
Spare me having to read every page there -- just quote the part where the gun was shot out of a ransom rest with match grade ammo at 25 yards.

Thank you in advance.

Are these all the impossibilities you can think of?

How'bout you show me one published test showing the P7 to be anything but a 2.5" gun?

Shadowdrop
10-18-2010, 9:47 AM
I love my PSP. I picked it up last year from Pro Force for $750ish.
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff172/shadowdrop1/P7-PSP.jpg

leelaw
10-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Very nice, Shadowdrop. I just got a line on an M13, will post pics once it's out of jail :D

faterikcartman
10-18-2010, 1:35 PM
Are these all the impossibilities you can think of?

How'bout you show me one published test showing the P7 to be anything but a 2.5" gun?

Are you some kind of joker or thread troll? I don't have to think of anything else. You're citing published data for your assertion that the P7 is a 2.5 inch gun.

It would be specious enough to say that if the sample size was one gun, but if your data rely on a man holding the gun during the test your data is worthless and you're clueless to make such a claim.

I don't know the answer one way or another and am not making any claims one way or another.

But you are.

Now point us to the test in the link you posted where a Ransom rest was used or shut up and ask your mother to bring more cookies and milk to you in her basement so you can troll the internet in comfort.

Psypher
10-18-2010, 3:37 PM
Are you some kind of joker or thread troll? I don't have to think of anything else. You're citing published data for your assertion that the P7 is a 2.5 inch gun.

It would be specious enough to say that if the sample size was one gun, but if your data rely on a man holding the gun during the test your data is worthless and you're clueless to make such a claim.

I don't know the answer one way or another and am not making any claims one way or another.

But you are.

Now point us to the test in the link you posted where a Ransom rest was used or shut up and ask your mother to bring more cookies and milk to you in her basement so you can troll the internet in comfort.

What's funny about this to me is that J-cat, the one you are currently attacking, isn't the one that cited the info. He infact questioned it like you did. Just saying...

J-cat
10-18-2010, 6:06 PM

But you are.

You have nothing to offer, so you whip out the T-word. Maybe if you took the time to read the material, you'd learn something. BTW, I have wasted thousands of rounds of ammunition and weeks of my life trying to to get this gun to shoot better than an inch at 50 feet from a bench rest. At the same time my p210 is drilling .25"-.5" groups at the same distance. I don't need a ransom rest to make my claim. I have published data backed by experience. You have NOTHING.

leelaw
10-18-2010, 7:54 PM
I advise the cock fighting to cease.

Capita159
10-18-2010, 8:21 PM

To OP:

It's a Squeeze Cocker!!!

wilit
10-18-2010, 10:20 PM
I thought they were ugly and overpriced at one time too. Then I shot one. Now I can't wait to save up enough to buy one. They are WONDERFUL little guns that are amazingly accurate for their size.

J-cat
10-18-2010, 10:35 PM
I bought my P7 new. I was honestly the least accurate handgun I have ever owned. Hell, my 5906 was more accurate. Another issue was the front sight was off center in the slide dovetail and the gun would not shoot point of aim. Drifting the sight back to center would have moved the group further away from the point of aim. I looked at other P7's at Turners at the time and they all had off-center front sights.

The trigger was nice, though.

Ranger20
10-18-2010, 10:44 PM

and there you have it! well said! I liked mine sold it.. however couldn't get use to the manual of arms.

Ranger20
10-18-2010, 10:45 PM

And there you have it! well said!

I liked mine sold it.. however couldn't get use to the manual of arms.

Or as Col. Cooper called it. The Stapler... :D

redcliff
10-19-2010, 8:39 AM
I don't have a problem with the gun, just with the accuracy claims. I'd like to see the 3.2" at 50 yards test. Where did you read that? I tried everything possible with my M8 but to no avail. The best group I got was around 1" at 50 feet. And it never repeated itself.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1171983

"When I had a P7M8 a year ago or so I benched it with 124gr +P Gold Dots. I was able to get a 3.2" 5-shot group at 50 yards. I have not benched my G34 at that distance but I'd be willing to bet that it isn't that accurate. Not sure if that accuracy is worth the extra scratch, though. "

This would seem to be somewhat in line with your 1" group at 50 feet as that m.o.a. would be 3" at 50 yards, or 1.5" at 25 yards.

I don't think anyone ever claimed a P7 could compare to a Sig P210 for accuracy, but for a 5.8" sight radius combat pistol the P7 is very accurate.

J-cat
10-19-2010, 9:24 AM
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99367

See post #4.

redcliff
10-19-2010, 9:48 AM
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99367

See post #4.

And see post 13 from the same thread. It appears that they shoot better with some ammunition than other, which is true for most pistols.

J-cat
10-19-2010, 9:55 AM
I get that, just feel the gun should do better given the fixed barrel. But then again a Walther PP isn't all that accurate either.

leelaw
10-19-2010, 12:17 PM
The weak point on the gun is the short sight radius. The P7 is one of the more accurate ones I own overall, and it beats out most of my others of similar size/sight radius.