PDA

View Full Version : Pistol purchase requires Proof of Residency

whoreable
10-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Hello, I am an owner of an LWRC Rifle and I wanted to purchase a Glock 22. I went to my local gun dealer and we started the paper work, before I left, he notified me that before taking home the gun I would need to supply a Proof Of Residency because my CA ID is not valid for some reason.

Anyways, I did some reasearch and the easiest way it seems is to have a Rental Agreement signed by your Landlord or whoever you rent from. It then says to take it and get it Notirized, I have no idea how to do that or what it takes?

How do i go about the rest of this? Thanks Calguns.net!! :chris:

PolishMike
10-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Rental agreements do NOT have to be notarized.

The most typical POR is vehicle registration or any land locked utility bill.

dk94044
10-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Water or Electric bill that is within 30 days works, Vehicle Registration works. Any Mailbox Etc, can notarize a document for about $10. just look up public notary in your yellow pages or internet search.

whoreable
10-11-2010, 12:05 PM
So using the rental agreement form, having that signed by the other party is all I need to get a notirization? Do i need to have the other people accompany or any other documents?

Capt_Communist
10-11-2010, 4:08 PM
does your drivers license address match the address you put on the 4473?

whoreable
10-11-2010, 4:16 PM
It is a California ID, not a Drivers License, but yes the address is the same.

jtmkinsd
10-11-2010, 6:35 PM
So using the rental agreement form, having that signed by the other party is all I need to get a notirization? Do i need to have the other people accompany or any other documents?

Your lease or rental agreement does not need to be notarized. Just bring the lease agreement, a utility bill, or auto registration that matches the address on your license/ID and you're good to go.

Rhythm of Life
10-11-2010, 6:42 PM
While we are on the same topic:

Can I use my paycheck stub or a letter mailed from San Diego County Courts in regard to a civil suit? What about a Vote by mail Ballot for voting?

Mongoblack23
10-11-2010, 7:15 PM
vehicle registration or land locked utility bills (water, gas, electric, some shops will even accept a cable bill) with an address that matches what you put on the dros. 99 percent of the time you will need one of these to walk out.

Capt. Speirs
10-12-2010, 8:30 AM
It is a California ID, not a Drivers License, but yes the address is the same.

You need a second Proof of Residency for a handgun purchase. That is why your CA ID is not sufficient.

jtmkinsd
10-12-2010, 8:51 AM
While we are on the same topic:

Can I use my paycheck stub or a letter mailed from San Diego County Courts in regard to a civil suit? What about a Vote by mail Ballot for voting?

Some may accept those documents. If it's from a government agency, and it has your address on it, I will accept it...Other FFLs are much more strict when it comes to documents not specifically mentioned in the code or not 100% matching criteria (your documentation is supposed to have an expiration date for example, and court papers may or may not)

Rhythm of Life
10-12-2010, 8:54 AM
Some may accept those documents. If it's from a government agency, and it has your address on it, I will accept it...Other FFLs are much more strict when it comes to documents not specifically mentioned in the code or not 100% matching criteria (your documentation is supposed to have an expiration date for example, and court papers may or may not)

Cool thanks man, I'll give my FFL a call and verify.