PDA

View Full Version : linux gaming laptops?---- '"great success!"

sevensix2x51
10-11-2010, 9:35 AM
So I finally killed my gateway fx, and am in the market for a new pc. Considering the amount of linux work im doing lately, I want to switch back to the new ubuntu incarnation at the house. Its really tough to do efficient research on my phone, so I figure id get some help from my fellow pc literates here, and give us all another topic to debate..
im looking for a 15" laptop with the ability to play some games I already have, as well as do all my normal surfing and bound book functions... any suggestions? Do they sell linux pcs at frys? Might need to get a credit card for this one. :)
thanks!

sfwdiy
10-11-2010, 3:47 PM
Luckilly Ubuntu has drivers for all kinds of hardware these days. I'd recommend just buying all your parts from someplace like newegg.com and building it yourself if you have no need for any OEM software. A quick google search on any particular component should tell you if it's compatible with the latest Ubuntu distro.

ETA: Nevermind, I just saw that you were looking for a laptop, not a desktop. The cold medicine is affecting my attention span today.

--B

sfwdiy
10-11-2010, 3:51 PM
Take a look at dealzon.com for some pretty good prices on laptops. They have some great Lenovos on there for pretty cheap. Some HPs, too. A quick google search should tell you whether or not the hardware is compatible.

--B

sevensix2x51
10-11-2010, 4:10 PM
Cool, thanks for the heads up. I built my first pc when I was 9y/o from parts, and im almost 30 now.. this would be a non-issue for a desktop. Drivers are indeed my biggest concern, but as soon as I can get to a real pc I will snoop around...

sevensix2x51
10-13-2010, 4:25 PM
omgwtflol... ubuntu is the best thing ever!!! so just as an update, i finally got around to figuring out the problems with my notebook, had some bad sectors that made everything crash and burn. so a 320gb seagate and an ubuntu book later (partly just in case i need it, partly because it came with a 10.04 bootable cd-rom), and im back in the saddle!!

ubuntu is the best thing ever. i said that already, but seriously. i didnt even have to install any drivers for this thing! the lan worked from install, the os scanned my computer, pulled all the drivers off the internet and installed them automatically! it even found the drivers for my old radeon mobile whatever dedicated video card, and im good as new. highly recommended for anyone who wants to free themselves from the bonds of windows servitude....

that is all. :)

sfwdiy
10-13-2010, 7:48 PM
omgwtflol... ubuntu is the best thing ever!!! so just as an update, i finally got around to figuring out the problems with my notebook, had some bad sectors that made everything crash and burn. so a 320gb seagate and an ubuntu book later (partly just in case i need it, partly because it came with a 10.04 bootable cd-rom), and im back in the saddle!!

ubuntu is the best thing ever. i said that already, but seriously. i didnt even have to install any drivers for this thing! the lan worked from install, the os scanned my computer, pulled all the drivers off the internet and installed them automatically! it even found the drivers for my old radeon mobile whatever dedicated video card, and im good as new. highly recommended for anyone who wants to free themselves from the bonds of windows servitude....

that is all. :)

WIN. Ubuntu is good stuff.

--B

CalBear
10-14-2010, 7:36 AM
Ubuntu is the most user friendly linux distro and it is very stable for a distro that updates quickly with kernels and apps because they patch. Other distros can be utterly painful to use.

sevensix2x51
10-14-2010, 9:13 AM
Tell me about it. I did some work with red hat in my teenage years, and getting everything working was a nightmare. Not to mention we were having to make linux servers work with windows 95 machines... now linux is easier than windows!
Sorry, still a little giddy about it all... now I just need to get wine on the old lappy, and test out some games!!

exklusve
10-14-2010, 10:10 AM
Also checkout http://www.codeweavers.com/
I've been using their software Crossover Office for years to run M$ office on my linux workstations.
Their Crossover Games works well too. It's basically Wine with tweaks and a nice frontend . It downloads packages that games might need (IE, MDAC, fotns, etc etc).

I have had issues where Wine has worked better than X-over games.

Good luck!

Pyrodyne
10-19-2010, 8:03 PM
Linux runs great even on trashy hardware. How fast do you want to spend? Check out ASUS offerings. They have best bang for buck lately. Newegg sells them.

I'd recommend dual booting so you have windows for games and linux for work.

howellsg
10-28-2010, 3:49 PM
Sometimes I will use a live CD for an OS I would like to install on a system for a quick check for any HW conflicts.

http://www.livecdlist.com/

Is an online website reference for live Cds and their homes on the Internet.

Yes, Ubuntu rocks!

kapache
10-28-2010, 4:01 PM
Ubuntu rocks as a desktop version of Linux, however, the server version of Ubuntu sucks Balls all the way.

kapache
10-28-2010, 4:03 PM
Ubuntu is the most user friendly linux distro and it is very stable for a distro that updates quickly with kernels and apps because they patch. Other distros can be utterly painful to use.

It's not that they are "utterly painful to use," they require skilled talented LINUX users/admins to operate does distros. I can make any version of Linux do the same as ubuntu.

armygunsmith
10-28-2010, 4:26 PM
I love Ubuntu as well. Since where I work is a Windows shop, I run several distos in VMs. Check out www.distrowatch.com. They have links to all kinds of Linux distros you can check out.