PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to re-register my handgun?

SnipeShot
10-10-2010, 8:59 PM
I purchased a Taurus PT 111 Pro in 2007. I was on vacation at my dads for a while and brought my handgun with me to go shooting at the NRA HQ (he lives in VA). I had had issues before with FTF and while there it would not fire just would go click. So I sent it in to Taurus and had it shipped back to my dad's as I was still staying there. They ended up replacing the gun I now have the exact same model but with all new serial numbers. Do I need to re-register this, and if so do I fill out form for a new resident to self register?

daemonite
10-10-2010, 10:06 PM
I do believe you do since it's a new serial number

Munk
10-10-2010, 11:08 PM
How do I handle the paperwork when a purchaser returns a defective firearm?

If a firearm is brought to you for service or repair, you may return it to the person who submitted it for repair without undergoing the DROS process. If the firearm must be replaced, a new DROS is required. There is an exemption from the one-handgun-per-month restriction for exchanged handguns.

(PC section 12072 (a)(9)(xi))

I think you were supposed to be re-DROSed when it was sent to you, however since you were out of state, the manufacturer didn't think about you as being californian. Id suggest you contact a legal mind to see if there's any issue with asking the CA doj how to proceed with correcting your situation.

bjl333
10-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Anytime a firearm comes back with a different serial number, it'll have to be re-dros.

littlejake
10-11-2010, 9:25 AM
There's a second half of the equation that needs to be taken care of also. Since you no longer possess to old gun that was originally DROSed to you, you need to get it out of your name.

Normally, filing an NLIP form would take care of that part. But, DOJ changed the NLIP form in February 2009. It used to be a simple form signed under penalty of perjury. Now, they want proof of what happened to the gun.

So, you do need a legal opinion -- and need to ask about this aspect as well.

subin
10-11-2010, 12:47 PM
When Sig replaced the my 1911, I dros it as of I purchased it.
Going to file a NLIP now. Thanks!

toby
10-11-2010, 4:54 PM
I think they may have done that for you? Ruger did it for me... :)

Mssr. Eleganté
10-11-2010, 5:04 PM
I purchased a Taurus PT 111 Pro in 2007. I was on vacation at my dads for a while and brought my handgun with me to go shooting at the NRA HQ (he lives in VA). I had had issues before with FTF and while there it would not fire just would go click. So I sent it in to Taurus and had it shipped back to my dad's as I was still staying there. They ended up replacing the gun I now have the exact same model but with all new serial numbers. Do I need to re-register this, and if so do I fill out form for a new resident to self register?

Getting a new gun with a different serial number was perfectly legal. Federal law allows for manufacturers to send you a replacement firearm directly. If it had happened in California then it would have had to go through a California licensed dealer first, but since it happened while you were in another State you didn't need to worry about California law at the time.

Once you bring the gun back into California then you qualify as a "Personal Handgun Importer" and you should register it with CalDOJ using the "New Resident" form. I know that you are not a new resident, but personal handgun importers are supposed to use the "New Resident" form to report handguns they bring in.

There is no legal requirement for you to send in the "No Longer in Possession" form for the old Taurus, but some people like to do it anyway.

SnipeShot
10-12-2010, 11:05 PM
I called the DOJ today and explained my situation. At first they said Taurus should have sent it to an FFL but I explained a second time it was shipped back to me while I was at my fathers in VA. They suggested I self register the firearm and send in the 19.00. I did however forget to ask if they need a copy of my HSC and of course I cant find it now.