PDA

View Full Version : Star PD 45

blueviper
10-10-2010, 7:47 PM
Hello party people, I need some info on a Star PD 45,what it is worth. Thanks

Ascout
10-10-2010, 8:35 PM
Star PD was a delightful and LIGHT .45ACP for it's time, 25oz. empty. Single action 1911 style, but had only one locking lug instead of two, so between that and the lightweight metals being used. it was not as strong. Also, it had a sort of teflon barrel buffer at the back of the spring set that tended to extrude out of shape after about 100 normal rounds, and sooner under hot loads. I had one and loved it (mistakenly traded for the Star Firestar in .40 just coming out then). Big mistake to let it go.

The Star PD was an early, lightweight .45ACP great for carry, but not for regular shooting (apart from being somewhat weak, it was brutal in recoil compared to an all steel gun). Now, we have more choices in lightweight .45's, but back then (the early-mid 80's, there wasn't anything else in it's class.

In great shape, with a solid buffer stop, I'd say $350 unless you can get a line on some of the replacement bushings because you WILL have to replace them.

GrinderCB
10-10-2010, 8:46 PM
You didn't give any details aside from the model therefore its difficult to be precise. The age, finish, round count and overall condition would affect the price of course. A cop friend had one back in the 80's as a backup/home defense piece. He always said that it was a pretty good gun. GB has two with starting bids of about $400.

QuarterBoreGunner
10-10-2010, 9:04 PM
Ascount nailed it.

Also "Jeff Cooper was fond of this particular pistol, and caled it "A gun to be carried much and fired little". No doubt a reference to it's alloy frame being beaten on with hot .45 ACP rounds."

VegasND
10-10-2010, 9:09 PM
Ascount nailed it.

Also "Jeff Cooper was fond of this particular pistol, and caled it "A gun to be carried much and fired little". No doubt a reference to it's alloy frame being beaten on with hot .45 ACP rounds."
I recall him writing about it in a magazine and calling it a "5000 round pistol"; he then said there was nothing wrong with a pistol that would only last 5000 rounds if it saved your life. Unfortunately, I've forgotten which magazine but the remark has stayed with me because it prompted me to encourage my father to buy one as his carry piece.

He did purchase one and liked the pistol. It was, unfortunately, stolen many years ago.

Trapper
10-10-2010, 9:14 PM
I traded a Winchester shotgun for a Star PD in 1990 and loved it! Not all parts are interchangeable with a Colt but it's reliable and reasonably accurate. In 1990 they sold for $250 new, at today's prices anything under $400 would be fair for a good condition Star PD

QuarterBoreGunner
10-11-2010, 8:29 AM
If you're going to turn this into a 'far sale 'thread, post it in the correct forum.