PDA

View Full Version : beretta owners! is this normal? (pics)

racky
10-10-2010, 5:58 PM
so i've shot over 1k rounds so far since i've owned my m9a1. it's finally beginning to show the "used" look. however my barrel is peening with the slide. i'm pretty sure its not normal as it's a little sharp. it's obviously slamming hard. here's the pics:

the wear is obvious on the top of the barrel
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/rackycurva/2A%20stuff/DSC_0220.jpg

just to show that the metal is peening upwards
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/rackycurva/2A%20stuff/DSC_0221.jpg

top of the slide where it's slamming
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/rackycurva/2A%20stuff/DSC_0222.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/rackycurva/2A%20stuff/DSC_0223.jpg

normal?

Dragon
10-10-2010, 6:43 PM
My 92fs does not have or do that ,maybe you could use a machinist file and just break the edge ,use a fine file. Just an ideas!

Dragon
10-10-2010, 6:48 PM
I just looked at mine its the stainless steel version and it is showing a small shiny spot about where yours is but no burr.

sequoia_nomad
10-10-2010, 6:49 PM
Mine has very slight signs of wear in those spots, not as nearly as severe, although mine was bought used in like new condition and has far fewer miles on it than yours. Have you had any malfunctions? Looks like maybe a lot of stovepipes or failures to eject.

Dragon
10-10-2010, 6:51 PM
Maybe a steel cased round stove piped?

racky
10-10-2010, 6:52 PM
zero malfunctions. runs like a champ. i even use my beretta as my test gun for new handloads because its built like a tank.

Dragon
10-10-2010, 6:58 PM
Yeah ,what the hell was i thinking ,i have had zero issues aswell.Just as reliable as those Glocks.Oh well i tried ,sorry.

RRangel
10-10-2010, 7:06 PM
Your gun looks new. Inspect it regularly for cracks and stuff in the obvious places. When you fire a lot of rounds through an M9 type pistol the finish will actually come off of the barrel and it looks silver. Remember that the parts of the barrel that show on this pistol are not even visible on most other auto handguns.

smoothy8500
10-10-2010, 7:37 PM
As you put thousand(s) of rounds on a pistol you'll start seeing slight peening here and there. Dress the edges so they don't form cracks and keep an eye on it.

Bill Steele
10-10-2010, 7:48 PM
I have an Italian made 92FS (about 14 years old) and have many thousands of rounds through mine with no peening (or even shiney areas) on the chamber end of the barrel with the exception of a very small shiney edge just at the slot for the extractor, no burrs though.

GŁnter
10-10-2010, 8:21 PM
I've not yet fired that many rounds off my 92fs yet, and though I've seen range rental guns with similar wear, I would expect to see that level of erosion on a gun with more round counts. Are you using stock factory recoil springs? Do you close the slide using the slide release on a empty chamber often? What kind of diet has she been fed?

PyroFox79
10-10-2010, 9:04 PM
Normal wear. Gun looks brand new. If it still works dont worry. If it is a big deal to you take it to a gunsmith. If anything its been there for a while though you just noticed it.

racky
10-10-2010, 9:19 PM
ya the gun is totally stock minus the x300. i saw the peening after the first initial 200rds. and as i continued to shoot it over the 1k mark, the peening is progressively getting worst. maybe once i file the burs down, it should be good to go.

and to the people that say my gun looks new... it is. it's only 2 months old. i handload ammo and have thousands at my disposal ($4.50 per 50rds per the reloading calculator). of course it wouldn't have wear on the exterior (as it isn't a carry gun), but the interior is definitely showing it's round count. my gun is definitely going through the ringer. i'll be running it for USPSA on my next match.

Ron-Solo
10-10-2010, 9:54 PM
Check your locking lugs and make sure they aren't wearing funny and something isn't lining up right. I've got a 92f with 20+ thousand rounds thru it that doesn't show that much wear.

You mentioned handloads. Are you running real hot loads?

I'd have it checked by a Beretta certified armorer.

boink
10-10-2010, 10:35 PM
You mentioned handloads. Are you running real hot loads?

Both my Berettas (92 and M9) were bought used, and neither show anything like that. Try asking over at the beretta forums ( www.berettaforum.net ) and see what people over there think. It's full of beretta smiths.

Munk
10-10-2010, 11:01 PM
Call beretta customer service... they're usually responsive (in my experience), especially if you can show them pics through email or something.

My beretta was bought used, and i've personally put 300rds through it (i'm broke and don't have my .40 dies yet or i'd be at about 2k just for fun). and it has nothing like this going on.

The end result is, there's a pretty poor fit going on. The barrel might be a little too big, there might be a little bit of bending going on.... or the barrel is somehow jumping up as it slams home (incredibly odd if true).

If customer service is of no help (which seems unlikely)carefully take off the part that's knurling up, and see if the problem goes away. Failing that, hit up an experienced gunsmith.

(p.s. Damn you for getting a hold of an A1 lol. I couldn't find a 96a1 for any kind of reasonable price when I was hunting, but my 96 Elite is a beauty and I'm glad I got it).