PDA

View Full Version : shotgun for my girlfriend

docsmileyface
06-02-2006, 10:07 AM
My girlfriend's birthday (and our 1 year) is coming up and she wants a shotgun for her birthday.... The thing is neither of us really know much about shotguns, both of our only experiences come fromthe Benelli Nova rental at Reeds Indoor range.

She wants a 12 guage though, with black furniture, that has a pistol grip and buttstock. I'm not the richest of men so it also has to be affordable (under $400 is best). Anybody have any ideas on a shotgun I can get for her? :confused:

Unknownassailant
06-02-2006, 10:17 AM
My girlfriend's birthday (and our 1 year) is coming up and she wants a shotgun for her birthday.... The thing is neither of us really know much about shotguns, both of our only experiences come fromthe Benelli Nova rental at Reeds Indoor range.

She wants a 12 guage though, with black furniture, that has a pistol grip and buttstock. I'm not the richest of men so it also has to be affordable (under $400 is best). Anybody have any ideas on a shotgun I can get for her? :confused:

hehe one year anniversary and already she wants to arm herself. hehe I think everyone here would agree the best shotgun to get her would be a Reminton 870. It's a proven weapon, cycles great and even better with more use, and there are tons of accessories you can put on it, (PG, Saddle pack, ghost ring sights etc). Last time I checked at Turners they had a general purpose for like around $300. Or wait for a sale at Big 5.

Cheers

five.five-six
06-02-2006, 10:33 AM
my wife just loves to put 3" slugs in my 18.5" 500a riot gun. I got it for under 200 slightly used on gunbayroker.com she also likes my .300 wm and she weighs about 130 soaking wet but she is a real trouper. a semi-auto wil absorb some of the recoil so +1 on the rem

Shane916
06-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Remington 870 or Mossberg 500

with Knoxx Spec-Ops or CompStock

And you'll still be under $400 :)

ivanimal
06-02-2006, 11:46 AM
I thought you traded your GF for a shotgun. I was going to say good trade.

Seeing that she is a gun lover however that would be a bad trade. Get her a 870 and let her have fun accesorizing it, with your help of course.;)

VeryCoolCat
06-02-2006, 12:19 PM
Well lets compare pump cost and styles.

The Remington 870 Express is a popular shotgun, reasonable price and there are so many things you can do to modify it.

The FN TPS is a lesser known shotgun, but is little more expensive in cost (the modifications are about the same if you did them yourself to a regular shotgun). Its basically a pre-modded shotgun made to look somewhat "more evil".

The Mossberg security series are CHEAP and are a good weapon. Check your local big 5.

Then theres the Benelli M1 TOP OF THE LINE which is pretty much the ferrari of shotguns, EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE. AT LEAST double and even 3x-5x the cost of a regular shotgun. Really fun to shoot.

Theres plenty of others but I'll stop with the most available shotguns.

docsmileyface
06-02-2006, 12:58 PM
I really like the look of the FN-TPS, and its similarities to ARs might get her in on my BRD, which she's sort of been impartial to. She claims the AR isn't fun to shoot because it doesn't feel powerful enough. :p

Anybody know who's got em in stock in the bay area?

blkA4alb
06-02-2006, 2:40 PM
Bullseye in San Rafael has one in stock, compared to my 500 the action is astonishing. Do be aware though that it is essentially a modified winchester 1300.

tpliquid1
06-02-2006, 3:58 PM
Remington 870 or Mossberg 500

with Knoxx Spec-Ops or CompStock

And you'll still be under $400 :)
http://www.viptrim.com/newstuff/DSC02982.JPG

with fauxpoint

magmaster
06-02-2006, 4:24 PM
BIG5 has the Mossbergs on sale right now for $229. Either the target model or the security model with the 8 round tube.

docsmileyface
06-02-2006, 7:19 PM
On second thought, I don't know about the pistol grip. From what I've heard it can jack your wrist up from the recoil. Would a standard grip be a better choice for a girl thats 5'4" 130lbs? Shes tough, but I don't want her to break her wrists!

marklbucla
06-02-2006, 9:23 PM
Mossberg 500A Persuader

It's lighter than an 870 and the lack of a carrier blocking the bottom of a receiver will not mess up her thumb(nails).

It's also cheaper than an 870 and are available at Big 5 when they're on sale.

The drawback is that they're harder to take apart and clean, fewer parts are available, and the action isn't as smooth.

ivanimal
06-03-2006, 12:38 AM
I hated shooting a pistol gripped shotgun and I am 6-3 260. Get her a regular stock and teach her to shoot first. Just my .02