PDA

View Full Version : Glock 20 10mm

Sturnovik
10-10-2010, 2:58 PM
Anyone have any experience with this gun? I've been wanting a .357 sig glock/sig for a while now but when I saw and read up on this caliber and the Glock model I got interested. I realize ammo may be expensive but it would be a gun simply for fun, anyone have any experience with it?

nazgulnarsil
10-10-2010, 3:44 PM
put a few mags through my buddies. recoil isn't harsh at all.

negolien
10-10-2010, 3:47 PM
Yes I own a 20 but have not used her much. Ammo is ridicules if you can find it. As for the weapon itself it's awesome and fun. I got mine several years ago and she's basically a closet queen. O.o lol....I have taken her to the range but it's been a long time. I had no issues with FTF or FTE at all ran like a champ. It is a rather large weapon though so be sure to handle one in person. I don't like the 29 as I find the recoil to be excessive for range use.

cineski
10-10-2010, 3:51 PM
Ammo is readily available on the major online retailers. Even ATG has a bunch of hp's. DT is back on track for being good and VERY stout. I have a G20 and it's my favorite pistol. I highly recommend a 22lb recoil spring w/ ISMI captured guide rod.

The King
10-10-2010, 3:51 PM
I have large hands and it fits me great.
I turned to reloading ammunition for this beast.
It is not a 41 magnum, but it is, hands down, the most powerful auto pistol, short of the Desert Eagle and the exotics.

gunnlover
10-10-2010, 3:56 PM
I've got a G29 in 10mm. Forget about walking in the local gun shop and buying ammo. Rounds are pretty much limited to internet sales and gun shows. Notwithstanding it is a gem of a firearm and if you have to absolutely have one of the most potent rounds then by all means get one. I've put 50rds thru my G29 since last summer, it's just too expensive and almost impossible to shoot. If you're looking to shoot into engine blocks or shoot down rampant grizzlies then this is your weapon of choice. Otherwise you should stick to a Glock in which rounds can be easily obtained. Don't forget next year ammo will be more difficult to obtain. But to answer your question about the recoil - yes it is gnarly. I use the Pierce grip extension to keep the weapon under control. It's like bracing for a car crash every time you fire it. Good luck...

Sturnovik
10-10-2010, 3:59 PM
Yea I mean I'm wanting it simply for the value of owning a 10mm. I've never shot one granted, but my Glock 17 I'm told is the same dimensions as the 10mm with exception to the barrel?

And by the fact that it's a 10mm, if i was so inclined couldn't I convert it to .40 and .357 and since its a stronger frame it would do better with the .357 loads than the regular Glock 22/23 .40's?

I don't reload but I mean 5-8 boxes of FMJ and 2 boxes of defense load/hp's would be fine with me, ammo's not an issue.

nazgulnarsil
10-10-2010, 4:01 PM
the frame is larger/thicker than the other glocks. that said it actually fits my (medium glove size) hands better than the g19.

Bryan16
10-10-2010, 4:40 PM
Yea I mean I'm wanting it simply for the value of owning a 10mm. I've never shot one granted, but my Glock 17 I'm told is the same dimensions as the 10mm with exception to the barrel?

And by the fact that it's a 10mm, if i was so inclined couldn't I convert it to .40 and .357 and since its a stronger frame it would do better with the .357 loads than the regular Glock 22/23 .40's?

I don't reload but I mean 5-8 boxes of FMJ and 2 boxes of defense load/hp's would be fine with me, ammo's not an issue.

I have .40 conversion barrel for my G29 and it works great. Uses the same 10mm mags too. If you can afford it, I highly recommend having a 10mm Glock in your collection.

maschronic
10-10-2010, 4:53 PM
i have a G20 and G29. you are more than welcome to shoot it if you are in OC. :) i reload so ammo is very easy. send me a PM if you are local. make a decision yourself.

sammy
10-10-2010, 4:54 PM
I hav a G20SF and shoot the snot out of it. Ammo is not that expensive since I load my own. Most factory is watered down and very expensive which makes it unattractive for the non-reloader. Currently I am loading it for about $.21 a round with a 180 JHP pushing at 1300fps. The only mods I would get are a KKM barrel for brass preservation and a decent set of sights. Other than that the gun is perfect. I am located in the East Bay if you want to try mine. Sammy

Sturnovik
10-10-2010, 6:42 PM
I've been hearing things about Storm Lake and EFK firedragon barrels so I'm looking into them. If I wanted to, couldn't I convert this to .357 sig as well?

Oh and I'm in the Northern Bay Area but I think there may be a rental place around here to try one out! I'm wondering if the glock 17 fit like a glove if the SF version of the glock 20 is more practical?

El Gato
10-10-2010, 6:49 PM
I have one I have carried for years...
truglo TFO sights...

hi cap mags...

carry in a TTgunleather IWB...
very comfy...

can shoot 40sw or 10mm

10mm can be low vel 40sw speed loads up to the rompin stompin stuff...
pretty accurate...more so than my glock 22's...

very very nice gun...with a light on it it sits by my bedside at night with two extra mags..and it has replace my .44mag and 45 colt revolvers for packin' pistols in the woods with Horn. full power 180 xtp loads...

a definate good buy

Sturnovik
10-10-2010, 6:51 PM
Yea the other thing is that I do want to keep the stock sights just wish they were that design and night sights by default!

igorts
10-10-2010, 7:07 PM
G20 and G29 are excelent guns to shoot.
get one with conversion if you have to.
Ammo is available, Georgia Arms relatively cheap

windsheer
10-10-2010, 7:30 PM
the guides at spotted bear ranch in Montana carry em for bear and wolves

Oceanbob
10-10-2010, 11:48 PM
Anyone have any experience with this gun? I've been wanting a .357 sig glock/sig for a while now but when I saw and read up on this caliber and the Glock model I got interested. I realize ammo may be expensive but it would be a gun simply for fun, anyone have any experience with it?

I will never sell either of them. There is a 10MM forum that is a wealth of information on the weapons/reloading/ etc//

Here:

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/10mm-Talk-Forums-f187.html

The Glock 20 is a feline cat (can't say the p word on this spell check forum)

The recoil is negligible; same for my 29. (see photo)....I have several preban mags so I can customize my 10mms with various options. My Avatar has one of my Glock 20s with a 6 inch lonewolf barrel; 20 round magazine; ready for action.

I do have an optional Lonewolk barrel in .40 caliber; haven't used it yet.
A friend at the range (On Target) has the .40 barrel and I've shot it. No problems at all.

My Glock 29 has the option of my preban 15 round mags with extension; a perfect weapon for anything that comes along.

I did find plenty of 10MM ammo OUT OF STATE over the summer while the Kids and I took vacations in free states. One store had 10 boxes of 10MM so I bought the lot and Fed Ex Grounded it to my home here in California. Over the summer I ended up buying 1700 rounds. Some I got at Ammo Bros in Ontario; good people and good ammo. They make it here in town and box it up.

They use NEW BRASS so we save it for future reloading options.

The Glock 20 with night sites and a KKM (or other) Barrel cannot be beat as a practical weapon. It just RIPS out these 180 grain bullets at 1400 FPS and is Extremely accurate. incredibly so.

If I could only take one handgun to get thru a Riot/Looting Zone after a major Earthquake it would be my Glock 20 and a bag full of preban mags.

Get one.

http://i51.tinypic.com/300f71t.jpg

GW
10-11-2010, 12:39 AM
A great gun and a great round I think the G-20 kept the 10mm alive all by itself for quite a while.--big hands recommended but not required.

10-11-2010, 7:42 AM
I've got one but I don't shoot it very often. The recoil is nothing to write home about.

... but my Glock 17 I'm told is the same dimensions as the 10mm with exception to the barrel?

The G20 is larger. It has the same dimensions as the G21 not the G17.

cineski
10-11-2010, 9:14 AM
That's the point w/ the G20. It handles the 10mm recoil very well. Follow-up shots are quite fast.

I've got one but I don't shoot it very often. The recoil is nothing to write home about.

The G20 is larger. It has the same dimensions as the G21 not the G17.

Sturnovik
10-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Yea I mean I would rather have the full size 20 as opposed to the 29. But that Green/tan frame does look rather neat! Too bad the 20 is only available in black!

Oceanbob, so the 10mm can take the .40 since its just a little longer case, but can it take .357 sig as well? I was originally going to buy the Glock 31 but I'm sorta hoping to kill 2 birds with one stone with this gun and be able to shoot the .357 sig on top of the mighty 10mm.

cineski
10-11-2010, 12:03 PM
You'll need a conversion barrel for each caliber. Same mags.

Mofo-Kang
10-11-2010, 12:06 PM
You'll need a conversion barrel for each caliber. Same mags.

Only the barrel needs to be switched? That sounds great, like having 3 pistols in one. :)

Sturnovik
10-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Well I know that the .357 sig and .40 can share mags but even with the 10mm it can be used? Anyone try this conversion idea with theirs?

That different color frame is just awesome!

10-11-2010, 12:29 PM
It handles the 10mm recoil very well.

10mm doesn't have that much recoil regardless of firearm.

Sturnovik
10-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Yea I'm not too worried, but the largest I've shot is .40 in a pistol and .357 in a revolver but I'm not to worried about recoil.

maschronic
10-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Yea I'm not too worried, but the largest I've shot is .40 in a pistol and .357 in a revolver but I'm not to worried about recoil.

you don't have to worry about the recoil on the G20. it is more than .40. that is for sure. on the G29, it is another story.

cineski
10-11-2010, 2:47 PM
Not after shooting some pistols, but definitely after shooting some other pistols :D

10mm doesn't have that much recoil regardless of firearm.

igorts
10-11-2010, 2:59 PM
try double-taps at 135 grn at 1600 and see if it any different from .40S/W:)

negolien
10-11-2010, 3:31 PM
Tell ya what though to be honest in a semi-auto the only other round I would trust my life too besides a .45 would be this one.

Sturnovik
10-11-2010, 3:44 PM
Yea I mean isn't this basically a similar comparison to .38/.357 rounds in a .357 magnum? I've heard there is less difference between the .40 and 10mm than between the .38/357.

In any case you guys see any difference in the SF model? I hear its a bit thinner grips and I think they have different colors?

Munk
10-11-2010, 3:45 PM
try double-taps at 135 grn at 1600 and see if it any different from .40S/W:)

QFT.

Avoid most common factory ammos, and a majority of commercial reloads if you want real power. They seem to be loading the 10mm as though it were a .40s&w, which is fine, if that's what you wanted... a 40s&w at a 10mm price.

Instead, go with some upscale brands like double-tap and buffalo bore (http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=114). They load to what a 10mm is meant to be.

Also... reloading for this is an AMAZING savings on price. You're basically loading up a 40s&w with a bit more powder and a different primer that costs nearly the same. Why pay 1.50 per, when you can reload at .25 per (or .45 per if you get some nice bullets).

I like the Glock 20 for use as a 10mm. it handles it like a champ.

Sturnovik
10-11-2010, 4:18 PM
Yea I dont reload to be honest, I just prefer buying factory stuff. Whats the average load for the 10mm? For 9mm I end up using 115 for practice and 124 for defense. What options does the 10mm have?

maschronic
10-11-2010, 4:20 PM
Yea I dont reload to be honest, I just prefer buying factory stuff. Whats the average load for the 10mm? For 9mm I end up using 115 for practice and 124 for defense. What options does the 10mm have?

135gr, 155gr, 165gr, 180gr, and 200gr

Greg-Dawg
10-11-2010, 4:29 PM
Good gun, go buy two.

hoss_hk
10-11-2010, 5:36 PM
Yea I mean I would rather have the full size 20 as opposed to the 29. But that Green/tan frame does look rather neat! Too bad the 20 is only available in black!

The ODs are out there, but rare. Case in point, they're still on the DOJ list.

Sturnovik
10-11-2010, 6:02 PM
Yea on galleryofguns I see xds and glock sometimes able to be found or bought in that color but I sorta wish they produced more of those colors.

Is the SF version slimmer in length or slide dimensions?

randy
10-11-2010, 8:30 PM
Great gun great round buy it and enjoy it.

bigfrank
10-11-2010, 9:18 PM

Oceanbob, so the 10mm can take the .40 since its just a little longer case, but can it take .357 sig as well? I was originally going to buy the Glock 31 but I'm sorta hoping to kill 2 birds with one stone with this gun and be able to shoot the .357 sig on top of the mighty 10mm.

I have a G20 with an OD frame. You just can't get the G20sk in OD green.

Sturnovik
10-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Yea I think its all set now, I'm going to go for the Glock 20 but hopefully I can find a darn OD green frame, it just looks awesome!

bigfrank
10-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Yea I think its all set now, I'm going to go for the Glock 20 but hopefully I can find a darn OD green frame, it just looks awesome!
Keep looking, they're out there. Two showed up in the small town I live in (Red Bluff). I bought one, and a student of mine bought the other.

On another note, he bought a full case of Winchester Silvertip 10mm ammo from I think Calbella's. He couldn't get the stuff to run in his gun. Lots of failure to feeds. At about $1/round, he was not happy to say the least.

Spyder
10-12-2010, 8:31 AM
When did it show in Red Bluff?! I'm actually here right now and was kicking around yesterday on my day off to see if any were on consignment anywhere. Looks like TenRing may be shutting down?

bigfrank
10-12-2010, 10:13 AM
I got mine and the other guy also got his from Jason and Lori @ 10 Ring, but it's been a few months ago now.

They sold the store to a new owner. I think the name of the gun shop will be Tuscon Outdoors. Jason and Lori will be moving to Idaho this month. They will keep the name and website and run their business initially from home in Idaho.

hcbr
10-12-2010, 10:24 AM
I bought mine from a buddy of mine who stopped doing competition with his 10mm and it shoots like a dream. All my friends who got to shoot from it , can never forget and is one of their favorites to shoot. I also have the KKM 40 and 357 sig converstion barrels, so it's even more worth to shoot! you won't regret it!

Once you get it, go ahead and get some good ammo like double tap, or some georgia arms , and if you go to the Glendale Gun show , there's a guy who sells reloads that are pretty damn good!

Sturnovik
10-12-2010, 10:40 AM
What brand is KKM barels? I know EFK dragon fire and Storm Lake are domestic and I've heard good things about them. Are the magazines going to be interchangable or am I going to have to buy new ones for each caliber to?

Oceanbob
10-12-2010, 10:47 AM

It's worth the wait.

When you get it; install some good sites (Truglo's on this one) and I prefer aftermarket barrels; KKM on this one. It feeds everything without a problem. Finally, if you want (YMMV) you can install a 3.5 trigger bar.

http://i53.tinypic.com/13zcxv6.jpg

Sturnovik
10-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Yea I think it looks like a great deal to be honest. I havent tried Fiber optics at all and on my sig I have trijicons. I actually sorta wish they had Glocks bracket design like sights in Tritium but I doubt any company does.

I'm wondering if getting a ported barrel wold be worth it on this as well.

Oceanbob
10-12-2010, 11:02 AM
What brand is KKM barels? I know EFK dragon fire and Storm Lake are domestic and I've heard good things about them. Are the magazines going to be interchangable or am I going to have to buy new ones for each caliber to?

The Glock 20 Magazine will feed the .40; the ,357 sig; the 9X25 (what a hoot to shoot) read this thread by meathead9

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=337474

Have fun...where are you..?...If you want to shoot the 10 you're welcome to
meet up with us at On Target down in Orange County.

Bob

Sturnovik
10-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Unfortunately I live in the crappy bay area where there are no good ranges! I do plan on shooting one of these mighty 10's though! I've never even heard of the 9x25 caliber!

Oceanbob
10-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Unfortunately I live in the crappy bay area where there are no good ranges! I do plan on shooting one of these mighty 10's though! I've never even heard of the 9x25 caliber!

And crappy anti-gun politics.

The 9X25 ammo can be had (also great 10mm) from Double Tap.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_24&osCsid=tjbt7jknjrgogell70oqpc8ge7

Doubletap even sells the Barrels...(from Lonewolf)

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=tjbt7jknjrgogell70oqpc8ge7

You will want a few items from:

http://glockstore.com/

Like a heavier recoil spring...and other neat stuff.

Sturnovik
10-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Yea I cant stand their hate of guns up here in the Bay Area, but I may find a used Glock 20 soon at a few stores so I will keep looking!

bigfrank
10-12-2010, 1:15 PM
And crappy anti-gun politics.

The 9X25 ammo can be had (also great 10mm) from Double Tap.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_24&osCsid=tjbt7jknjrgogell70oqpc8ge7

Doubletap even sells the Barrels...(from Lonewolf)

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=tjbt7jknjrgogell70oqpc8ge7

You will want a few items from:

http://glockstore.com/

Like a heavier recoil spring...and other neat stuff.

Ahhh. the 9x25 Dillon. What a great round. Wonder if someone make a barrel for my G20 in it? Talk about penetration!!!

Rixosa
10-12-2010, 2:07 PM
Yea I cant stand their hate of guns up here in the Bay Area, but I may find a used Glock 20 soon at a few stores so I will keep looking!

I like the guys at Bullseye in San Rafael (http://www.bullseyerange.com). They had a new G29 in stock when I wanted one early this year. Aside from being frequently crowded, the range is fine. Its become my main place to shoot.

I also have a G20 (1st generation). Bought KKM .40 S&W barrels for both of them and have never had any kind of problem with any ammo (http://www.kkmprecision.com/).

Way back when I first got it, I used to think that the G20 grip was too large, but after a few extended shooting sessions, I realized that it was very comfortable to shoot (I have med. size hands).

I keep 10mm rounds in my mags, and just use 40s on the range. If I were going to just use the 40s, I would definitely get the G27 instead. I mention this because when I first got the G29, I convinced myself that it really isn't much bigger than the G27, but after using both of them side-by-side, it is significantly bigger and heavier. If I were carrying all day, that would definitely be something to consider.

Sturnovik
10-12-2010, 2:22 PM
Yea I just registered with Ukiahs range, I cant stand Two rock down in Petaluma, its just a waste of money and a crappy range.

Does Bullseye usually have the 10mm's in stock?

advocatusdiaboli
10-12-2010, 4:27 PM
Good luck finding an OD frame-I have heard Glock has stopped making them. Glad I picked up a G23 in OD a few months back. Why they would stop boggles the mind since it's obviously popular.

bigfrank
10-12-2010, 4:55 PM
If anyone wants an OD frame in .40, there is a guy on here selling LEO turn in's for like $375. Smokin deal. Wish I had some cash to burn.

Oceanbob
10-12-2010, 5:32 PM
Good luck finding an OD frame-I have heard Glock has stopped making them. Glad I picked up a G23 in OD a few months back. Why they would stop boggles the mind since it's obviously popular.

Before they stopped making Olive Drab Frames I decided I was kinda sick of Black Glocks....so I started buying Glock ODs the last 6 months.

2 Glock 20s
1 Glock 29
1 Glock 30
1 Glock 23

I am now looking for a Glock 21 and 27 in OD. I like'em.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2a0etm1.jpg

Sturnovik
10-12-2010, 6:24 PM
Yea those olive frames look awesome!!!

I just wish they didnt stop making them! I figure the 10mm is definitely the most capable in terms of caliber so I'm going for that one!