PDA

View Full Version : How do I buy a Kimber Pre-Series II pistol in Cali that's not on the DOJ's list...?

BlueOvalFan
10-09-2010, 11:05 PM
I've recently been interested in a Pre-Series II Kimber pistol. I've reviewed the DOJ's list of Kimber's and notice the guns listed expire after a certain date.

How does purchasing an older pistol/model in Cali work if it's not on the 'current' list, but once may have been. I'm I only able to buy what on the list? This doesn't seem like it makes total sense as I've found folks living in Cali selling their Pre-Series II Kimber pistol like "custom classic" 1911.

Help me navigate the wonders of Cali's DOJ...

Thanks in advance...

Black Majik
10-09-2010, 11:29 PM
You got good taste! There are two ways to obtain a pre-series II Kimber, via consignment or PPT. Well, or gift... pretty much the same way as you would obtain any other off-list pistol.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/RChang824/Kimber4-24-09026.jpg

Happy hunting!

BlueOvalFan
10-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Ok...I think I found the answer in a sticky thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=81127

Huh? That’s it?
Yes.

LEOs can buy them. Someone can move into California as a legal owner of one or many handguns not on the Roster and bring them into the state. Any California resident can transfer a non-Roster handgun to another California resident using Private Party Transfer. That has to happen at an FFL dealer, but the Roster does not apply to PPT.

My question; if I purchase a pistol via PPT how would I ever know if was previously approved? I don't want to own a pistol that was brought in from out of state and was NEVER on DOJ's approved list as this will most likely be my CCW gun.

jtmkinsd
10-09-2010, 11:47 PM
If you're doing a PPT, DOJ isn't concerned with where the gun came from. Nor does it matter if a handgun was never on the list. As far as you (and DOJ) know, it's a private individual selling their personal gun. There are many off roster guns around that have never been registered with DOJ because they were owned before the list was created. DOJ is only interested in what you're buying.

Cyc Wid It
10-10-2010, 1:04 AM
Single shot exemption. Guns can be modified to fit this exemption by an 07 FFL here in CA, or by the seller before the gun enters CA.

BlueOvalFan
10-10-2010, 12:13 PM
If you're doing a PPT, DOJ isn't concerned with where the gun came from. Nor does it matter if a handgun was never on the list. As far as you (and DOJ) know, it's a private individual selling their personal gun. There are many off roster guns around that have never been registered with DOJ because they were owned before the list was created. DOJ is only interested in what you're buying.

Just a little more clarity please...

In doing a PPT--can this come from anywhere in the US or is it strickly Cali resident to Cali resident.

Munk
10-10-2010, 12:14 PM
The list only applies to a gun you purchase directly from an FFL, or that you purchase from out of state.

If you are doing neither of these, then you are fine, and the roster does not come into play AT ALL. It doesn't matter if the gun was NEVER approved.

This is also true for your CCW. As long as the gun is not classified as an AW an SBS or any other illegal configuration, it doesn't matter whether the gun is now or has ever been on the list.

Edit: PPT is Face to Face in-state only at an FFL. (FFL holds for 10-day and runs the background check, also does DROS and registration)

Rukus
10-10-2010, 3:46 PM
Single shot exemption. Guns can be modified to fit this exemption by an 07 FFL here in CA, or by the seller before the gun enters CA.

I'm not so sure about the underlined part. Dealers can only sell non rostered guns to LEO. I'm not sure if they can bring in non rostered semi-autos and then sell them as roster exempt single shots...that is why AK/AR Pistols must come in to CA assembled as such. Although those type of pistols would also be AW if not configured that way.

Typically, any single shot modifications (barrel extensions, maglock, zero shot sled) take place out of state before being shipped in. I'm no FFL though, so I could be wrong.

kantstudien
10-10-2010, 3:55 PM
Go to Ade's in Orange, two of them for sale on consignment there ;)

Cyc Wid It
10-10-2010, 4:16 PM
I'm not so sure about the underlined part. Dealers can only sell non rostered guns to LEO. I'm not sure if they can bring in non rostered semi-autos and then sell them as roster exempt single shots...that is why AK/AR Pistols must come in to CA assembled as such. Although those type of pistols would also be AW if not configured that way.

Typically, any single shot modifications (barrel extensions, maglock, zero shot sled) take place out of state before being shipped in. I'm no FFL though, so I could be wrong.

They can, that's the difference between 07 vs 01 FFL's. I've already DROS'ed something using this method.

*edit* They can manufacture/modify anything that doesn't require SOT. AR/AK pistols, AR/AK rifles, add compliance items, change sights etc.

GrinderCB
10-10-2010, 8:04 PM
I've recently been interested in a Pre-Series II Kimber pistol. I've reviewed the DOJ's list of Kimber's and notice the guns listed expire after a certain date.

How does purchasing an older pistol/model in Cali work if it's not on the 'current' list, but once may have been. I'm I only able to buy what on the list? This doesn't seem like it makes total sense as I've found folks living in Cali selling their Pre-Series II Kimber pistol like "custom classic" 1911.

Help me navigate the wonders of Cali's DOJ...

Thanks in advance...

Since it's off-list a dealer cannot sell it anymore. That leaves you with PPT's/consignments. The big problem is that now you have to find someone in CA willing to part with theirs.

Suggestions: (1) Change your CGN signature to indicate your interest in buying that model, (2) Post in the WTB forum in the Marketplace, (3) Browse every day in the Private Firearms Sales forum in the Marketplace, (4) Search GB for one and modify your search to limit to sellers in CA, and if you find one, send the seller a message asking if he's willing to meet in person.

Happy hunting

BlueOvalFan
10-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Go to Ade's in Orange, two of them for sale on consignment there ;)
Thanks--I'll give them a call in the AM!

Since it's off-list a dealer cannot sell it anymore. That leaves you with PPT's/consignments. The big problem is that now you have to find someone in CA willing to part with theirs.

Suggestions: (1) Change your CGN signature to indicate your interest in buying that model, (2) Post in the WTB forum in the Marketplace, (3) Browse every day in the Private Firearms Sales forum in the Marketplace, (4) Search GB for one and modify your search to limit to sellers in CA, and if you find one, send the seller a message asking if he's willing to meet in person.

Happy hunting

Yep--that's essentially what I was thinking. Thanks for the tip!

SJgunguy24
10-10-2010, 11:33 PM
I'm not so sure about the underlined part. Dealers can only sell non rostered guns to LEO. I'm not sure if they can bring in non rostered semi-autos and then sell them as roster exempt single shots...that is why AK/AR Pistols must come in to CA assembled as such.

Yes it happens, dealer can't but 07's can.

Since it's off-list a dealer cannot sell it anymore. That leaves you with PPT's/consignments.

This is true, a DEALER cannot modify an off list gun to a single shot in order to comply with the law. An 07 FFL can, and there is a couple that do. Not sure about the OP's location but there is a new shop in Milpitas called Valkyrie arms and they just DROSed an HK 45 in the single shot configuration.
It's pretty tough to get any more off roster evil gun goodness then an HK45.

DDRH
04-16-2011, 2:56 AM
Yes it happens, dealer can't but 07's can.

This is true, a DEALER cannot modify an off list gun to a single shot in order to comply with the law. An 07 FFL can, and there is a couple that do. Not sure about the OP's location but there is a new shop in Milpitas called Valkyrie arms and they just DROSed an HK 45 in the single shot configuration.
It's pretty tough to get any more off roster evil gun goodness then an HK45.

1)So if my cousin from out of state wants to sell/gift me his non-rostered handgun, can he ship it to Valkyrie (07FFL), have Valkyrie modify it as Single Shot, and DROS it to me?

2)Or would he have to ship it as Single Shot first, and then Valkyrie can DROS it?

a)If #2, can he install the single shot kit himself?

b)Or he would need 07FFL (bad idea because he would have to buy the kit?)

jtmkinsd
04-16-2011, 11:43 AM
1) I'm fairly certain no 07 is going to want to do the conversion on a used firearm, but you can always ask them.

2) If it comes into the state as a single-shot, it can go to any FFL/dealer for transfer (01 or 07)

2a) This would not be ideal. There is nothing in the law which prohibits this...but I would not, and don't know of any other dealers who would accept a single shot conversion from an individual. That's not to say it couldn't be done...you may just find it to be too much of a headache to get it done.