PDA

View Full Version : Android? need (want) a new phone

wheels
10-09-2010, 2:27 PM
I'm a lite phone user - I've been doing T-Mobile 1000 prepaid minutes for $100 and routinely have minutes left (which they roll over) at the end of the year.

While I'd like to just stay on my prepaid $100 a year plan, I realize when I put my phone, my audio recorder, my Ipod, and my video camera in my pockets that a new phone with all these features might be worth the convenience.

I'd like to be able to use wifi when available.
I'd like to just swap my T-Mobile sim into new phone.
Mini-SD.
Good camera (HD video would be a plus)
Voice recorder option - Extended duration required - covert & lockable pluses

I'm a cheap bastard and don't mind staying behind the bleeding edge.

Tips - advice appreciated.

Toyman321
10-09-2010, 5:54 PM
I've got an HTC Eris running android. I love this phone to death, before this one I had palm's and a blackberry and nothing has come close to this one. My brother just picked up a newer android based phone (not sure which one) and LOVES the thing.

fourXfour
10-09-2010, 7:02 PM
I would suggest checking ebay or Craigslist. I have an HTC EVO ON Sprint and I love it.

Since your on T-Mobile, you may want to track down a Nexus One. Just make sure it's the T-Mobile version and not AT&T.

The newer Samsung Galaxy S phones and HTC phones are really nice. But you will get stuck paying for the unlocked price (500-600)

Checkout Android Central for more info.

Canute
10-10-2010, 12:02 AM
I have a Droid, but it's getting a little ratty. The Droid 2 or the Droid X are tempting me and I don't know which one I'd want more. Sometimes the keyboard comes in useful on my Droid. Oh, well. The Droid is still pretty cool and I have a year to wait for the next upgrade when they'll have something even cooler. Unless it breaks before that.

50CalAL
10-10-2010, 4:28 AM
I have a Droid X and have been extremely pleased with it. It's a bit large due to the bigger screen but that comes in handy since there's no physical keyboard. Don't have any problems with the virtual keyboard.

Processor is pretty robust, GPU is also sweet. 8MP camera, 720p video, HDMI out. Rocking Android 2.2 (Froyo) and loving it.

JDay
10-10-2010, 5:02 AM
I'd go with the G2 from T-Mobile.

kojak5150
10-10-2010, 3:03 PM
I have the DroidX, before that I had the original Droid. I liked them both. I love the new Droidx. Great screen resolution. It was a little tricky synching it to my company email(Exchange), but got it finally set up with Touchdown software.

dfens
10-10-2010, 4:25 PM
The main problem with the opener is he wants to re-use his T-Mobile Sim card guessing he wants to buy a used phone without a contract and pop it in for month to month.

But most android powered phones are not on T-Mobile I think they have 1 or 2models you have to check but their are not the flagship phones like the Droid X or Incredible which is on Verizon only. Even the Android Aria is on AT&T.

So his choices are going to be slim to none, unless he gets a used phone that has been unlocked to work with T-Mobile.

Now if he uses Wifi only then he can beat the data plan with 3G service. Most smart phones are 40 bucks a month for the phone part, and 15-30 dollars for the data/internet, and 5 dollars plus for texting.

The Phone won't kill you unless you buy one without a contract but with a contract it allows you to get the best phone at a much cheaper price. The service is what makes owning a smart phone expensive.

I went from 8-10 dollars a month on a pre-paid, no text, or internet to a Droid X and will never go back it's costing me about 75 bucks now a month but I can afford it and I'm using it more and more everyday.

Best advice drop T-Mobile their coverage blows, even though they are the cheapest. My moms cheap Verizon Flip phone had better call quality and bars then a low end smart phone for T-Mobile that her co-worker has.

angelina
10-10-2010, 4:53 PM
im an iPhoner...but have checked out a couple friends droids..i like em. definitely considering the cross over to that market.

zfields
10-10-2010, 5:16 PM
Want to stay on tmobile pre paid? Be sure you disable mobile data then, otherwise you will blow through that minute card in a day.

See if anyone is selling the moto cliq XT cheap. I know we had it non contract for 140 before it was discontinued. To be honest the phone wasnt to bad at all.

JDay
10-10-2010, 5:43 PM
The main problem with the opener is he wants to re-use his T-Mobile Sim card guessing he wants to buy a used phone without a contract and pop it in for month to month.

But most android powered phones are not on T-Mobile I think they have 1 or 2models you have to check but their are not the flagship phones like the Droid X or Incredible which is on Verizon only. Even the Android Aria is on AT&T.

T-Mobile allows you to buy their phones without a contract, the G2 also happens to be a flagship Android phone. The 9 Android phones that T-Mobile offers is also quite a bit more than 2-3 phones.

JDay
10-10-2010, 5:46 PM
Want to stay on tmobile pre paid? Be sure you disable mobile data then, otherwise you will blow through that minute card in a day.

See if anyone is selling the moto cliq XT cheap. I know we had it non contract for 140 before it was discontinued. To be honest the phone wasnt to bad at all.

He should switch to the $50/month unlimited prepaid plan and add data, much cheaper then his current plan.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/Prepaid-Plans-Overview.aspx?WT.z_unav=mst_shop_plans_prepaid

zfields
10-10-2010, 6:56 PM
that would work also. Depending if you even want to use data Based on the OP it sounds more like he just wants to condence down his mobile devices : )

Canute
10-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Best advice drop T-Mobile their coverage blows, even though they are the cheapest. My moms cheap Verizon Flip phone had better call quality and bars then a low end smart phone for T-Mobile that her co-worker has.

I was on AT&T for about 10 years until I went on a cross country bicycle trip last year. No AT&T coverage in the boonies and I had to buy a Verizon prepaid phone. Switched to Verizon with the new Droid after I got home.

6114DAVE
10-11-2010, 3:06 PM
WEll i got a hero from sprint that i rooted yesterday and am running android 2.2.1(froyo) and its blazing fast!! Whatever android phone u get I recommend ROOTING it. You'll be able to do so much more and exploit the phones full potential.

wheels
10-11-2010, 8:08 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to swing by T-Mobile and ask some questions and see what they have to say.

I should have been more clear, I buy 1000 minutes ($100), put it on my sim and have minutes left over at the end of the YEAR (which they roll over for me). I'm not a heavy phone user, I'd just like to consolidate my mobile devices as someone picked up on.

Android is looking like the best platform for me, and I'd be fine with only using data when I'm near wifi - I just can't currently justify the extra $5-800 (or more) a year to go monthly with a data plan.

zfields
10-13-2010, 5:56 PM
Wheels im familiar with tmo prepaid, since its about the only plan we sell up here. We do 90% vzw, 9.99% att and .01 tmo prepaid it seems.

Id really check out the cliqxt on the used market, the core tmo stores are going to do whatever they can to get you to sign a contract considering they are based on commision, with ****ty base pay just like us.

p.ro
10-18-2010, 3:16 PM
I got a G1 and MyTouch on my desk collecting dust if you want one/them.
I switched to the iPhone. Personally I like it a LOT better.
The T-Mobile phones were rooted and "hacked"; as is the iPhone 4.
I just like the iPhone so much better.