View Full Version : Quick question about the HSC

10-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Alright. My father is going to be gifting me a handgun soon because I am only 19, do I need an HSC to legally be able to have the handgun transferred to me? I thought I did and still think I do because that is just about possession but I don't want to have to spend the money on it if I don't need to. I read the following out of the "study guide"

It is not the intent of the Legislature to require an HSC for the
mere possession of a firearm [Penal Code (PC) section 12800]

10-09-2010, 11:22 AM
It's not the "intent"...but it may as well have been. Yes, you need an HSC card.

(2) Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the
infrequent transfer of a handgun by gift, bequest,
intestate succession, or other means by one individual to
another if both individuals are members of the same immediate
family and all of the following conditions are met:
(A) The person to whom the firearm is transferred shall, within
30 days of taking possession of the firearm, forward by prepaid
mail or deliver in person to the Department of Justice, a
report that includes information concerning the
individual taking possession of the firearm, how title was
obtained and from whom, and a description of the firearm in
question. The report forms that individuals complete pursuant
to this paragraph shall be provided to them by the Department
of Justice.
(B) The person taking title to the firearm shall first obtain a
handgun safety certificate.
(C) The person receiving the firearm is 18 years of age or

10-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Ok, thanks, just wanted to make sure I was blowing away $25.