PDA

View Full Version : Does Sig warranty transfers when brought as 3rd party?

jackliu239
10-09-2010, 9:20 AM
I am about to purchase a Sig pro 2022 from a guy and he told me the pistol clearly have problems that need to be fixed. I understand if I am the original owner, I can have Sig fix the problem for free. But if he sell it to me before its fixed, can I still have the warranty as the original owner to get the pistol fixed by sig for free?

Because he did offer me a very good price for it.

gorenut
10-09-2010, 9:24 AM
Officially, they only cover the original owner. However, I haven't heard of Sig ever asking for registration or proof of purchase. I think it's just too much of a liability for them to have a broken gun going around

jackliu239
10-09-2010, 9:52 AM
So. when you want to start the process of returning the pistol to sig, what happens exactly?

gorenut
10-09-2010, 10:14 AM
you have to call them and I think they give you an RMA number.

jackliu239
10-09-2010, 10:21 AM
So they don't ask you when and where you purchased it? But I assume they do ask for the weapon's serial number, when they do, can they find out who's name is being registered with that weapon at time of purchase?

ALOC
10-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Why don't you have him send it to Sig before you do the transfer?

9mmepiphany
10-09-2010, 10:40 AM

that would seem the obvious answer to avoid any warranty grey areas

bsg
10-09-2010, 11:22 AM

+1 on this.

jessegpresley
10-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Sounds like you're buying someone else's problem.

These guns sell for $400 brand new. I don't know how much money you're saving, but to me $100 isn't worth the headache. If for some reason you have to pay to ship it to or back from Sig you're already out $50-$70.

jackliu239
10-09-2010, 11:50 AM
These guns sell for $400 brand new. I don't know how much money you're saving, but to me $100 isn't worth the headache. If for some reason you have to pay to ship it to or back from Sig you're already out $50-$70.

I thought Sig mail you a return mailing label, which is suppose to be shipping.

9mmepiphany
10-09-2010, 1:29 PM
only if you're covered by the warranty and you didn't cause the problem or have work done on it outside the factory/factory armorer

AlliedArmory
10-09-2010, 1:34 PM
Sounds like you're buying someone else's problem.

+1

jumpthestack
10-09-2010, 7:02 PM
When I sent my SIG back, they didn't ask about me being the first purchaser, nor did they ask for a serial number. If I wasn't the original owner, they never would have known. They sent a shipping label so the shipping was free.

jackliu239
10-09-2010, 7:21 PM
When I sent my SIG back, they didn't ask about me being the first purchaser, nor did they ask for a serial number. If I wasn't the original owner, they never would have known. They sent a shipping label so the shipping was free.

Yeah I hope thats the way it is.

Bullwinkle
10-11-2010, 8:38 AM
nor did they ask for a serial number.

I contacted Sig for warranty work on 9/1/10, and they did ask for a serial number before issuing the RMA.

However, they did not ask for purchase date or any of that other stuff... but ever hear of a warranty card? My return address was on the shipping label w/o them even asking me for it. :)

If the seller sent in the warranty card (or registered online), Sig will know who the original owner is (was). Will it make a difference? I don't know... but I'd be calling Sig directly to find out rather than asking on a forum.

FYI Sig's warranty specifically states, "...this limited warranty confers the right to have the covered firearm or its parts repaired, adjusted or replaced exclusively upon the original purchaser, which right is not transferable to any other person," (my emphasis added). Read it here (https://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/LimitedLifetimeWarranty.aspx). ETA: OTOH, the warranty also states "...provided, however, that the firearm is returned unloaded and freight prepaid...", when in fact Sig paid the shipping; so the printed warranty is probably a CYA lawyer thing more than a cast-in-stone contract with the consumer. Sig offers a service called the Sig Service Plan (SSP) which is specifically targeted toward purchasers of used Sig pistols. My gut feeling is that they wouldn't offer this service if they provided warranty service for non-original-owner pistols. The URL for the SSP is: http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomShop/SSP.aspx

But again, I'm not speaking for Sig and the only way to find out for sure is to call them directly.

HTH