PDA

View Full Version : How much does your FFL charge?

kgcabs
10-09-2010, 8:04 AM
To ship a pistol out of state?

Thanks for the input.

SJgunguy24
10-09-2010, 8:10 AM
To ship a pistol out of state?

Thanks for the input.

You shouldn't need to pay to ship a pistol out of state. It's legal for an unlicensed person to ship a firearm to an FFL.

fennecfrank
10-09-2010, 8:17 AM
to OP, did you meant to ship a gun "from" out of state??

the one that i usually go to: $135

Heiko
10-09-2010, 8:26 AM
Shipping within the state, per DOJ, does not require a private party (non-FFL) to get a shipping authorization through DOJ or be a FFL to ship a gun to a FFL but many FFLs have a policy of not accepting shipments from non-FFLs. I think a FFL can charge anywhere from nothing to $20 to $100 as a fee to ship a gun, plus shipping costs.

I have paid $65 including DROS fee for my FFL to receive a gun shipment and process it for me. I think that is what I was charged the last time I received a gun from out of state too.

Here are some interesting bits on dealer fees from DOJ. It's not really applicable to your question but it might interesting to some.

What fees can I charge in addition to the DROS?

In addition to the State's $19.00 DROS fee, you must also charge a $1.00 Firearms Safety Testing fee and a $5.00 Safety and Enforcement fee. If the transaction being processed is a dealer sale, consignment return, or return from pawn, you may impose other charges as long as this amount is clearly shown as a "dealer fee" and not misrepresented as a State fee.

(PC sections 12071(b)(11), (12))

What fees can I charge for handling a Private Party Transfer (PPT)?

If the transaction is a PPT, you are restricted to charging no more than $25.00 in State fees described and $10.00 per firearm for conducting the PPT. For example:

1. For a PPT involving one or more handguns, the total allowable fees are $35.00 for the first handgun, and $31.00 for each subsequent handgun.
2. For PPTs involving one or more long guns, the State fees are limited to $25.00 for the whole transaction plus $10.00 dealer fee per firearm transferred.

(PC section 12082)

kgcabs
10-09-2010, 8:31 AM
You shouldn't need to pay to ship a pistol out of state. It's legal for an unlicensed person to ship a firearm to an FFL.

Seems my only options are my FFL, who charges $60, or ups or fedex the latter two require the pistol to be shipped over night which for a two pound package is about $75. Either way it seems a ripoff!

I am trying to find a less expensive option.

Thanks

9mmepiphany
10-09-2010, 11:35 AM
is that $60 + actual shipping or $60 including shipping?

I haven't used my FFL for this, but when I casually asked, I thought he said $25 + actual shipping cost (I think it was around $12-$18 from CA to FL).

jtmkinsd
10-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Seems my only options are my FFL, who charges $60, or ups or fedex the latter two require the pistol to be shipped over night which for a two pound package is about $75. Either way it seems a ripoff!

I am trying to find a less expensive option.

Thanks

Shop around for a cheaper FFL. Generally transfer-only dealers (not retail shops) charge less for transfers. I get $35 for the transfer + shipping. I can ship handguns by US Postal Service, so the shipping is cheaper as well. So, depending on the size of the box, and insurance...most of the handguns I ship go for about $50.

kgcabs
10-09-2010, 5:01 PM
Shop around for a cheaper FFL. Generally transfer-only dealers (not retail shops) charge less for transfers. I get $35 for the transfer + shipping. I can ship handguns by US Postal Service, so the shipping is cheaper as well. So, depending on the size of the box, and insurance...most of the handguns I ship go for about $50.

What is the transfer fee? If I drop off a usps flat rate box at my FFL with my info and the receivers FFL info is there more the FFL has to do other then mail it?

Thanks for the info,

Karl

ke6guj
10-09-2010, 5:26 PM
What is the transfer fee? If I drop off a usps flat rate box at my FFL with my info and the receivers FFL info is there more the FFL has to do other then mail it?

Thanks for the info,

Karlthe FFL does have to log it into his book as having come from you, and then log it out as going to the receiving FFL. A smart FFL is also probably gonna EZ-check the receiving FFL to make sure the FFL is current, and that the address matches.

And if he is gonna mail it via USPS, he has a USPS form he needs to fill out as well, http://www.usps.com/forms/_pdf/ps1508.pdf

9mmepiphany
10-09-2010, 6:00 PM
The FFL is basically accepting you gun, transferring it into his inventory, so that he can ship it under his FFL. He then needs to follow his procedures to verify the receiving FFL, transfer the gun out of his inventory, complete the paperwork needed to utilize the USPS and ship it off.

It's not like you just hand it to him and he drops it off at the PO

jess1911
10-09-2010, 9:56 PM
go see raphael at get a gun (hes a member on here) and he will only charge you whats legally required. and on the stuff like this hed be cool enough to tell you how to do it without him having to charge you or just take care of it on the house. 1 of about 3 perks of living in bakersfield.

Shady
10-09-2010, 10:10 PM
oak tree gun club is 75 bux

Cali-Shooter
10-09-2010, 10:33 PM
I was charged $50 to ship (not a pistol) a longarm out of state to a buyer.