PDA

View Full Version : buying ria frame?

savs2k
10-08-2010, 5:52 PM
Been a while since I've been back on the forums. I don't remember if its possible to buy a bare 1911 frame. RIA has a 9mm frame I'm looking into to start a build for a comp gun. I'm not even sure if the ria 9mm is even on the approved list but I'm trying to just buy the frame to save money for a caspian slide and match barrel. Any veterans in here who can give me a quick answer?

Bobotheclown
10-08-2010, 6:00 PM
Nope. You would have to convert it so it meets the single shot exemption to bring it into California.

Send from my Sprint Evo using Tapatalk

savs2k
10-08-2010, 6:08 PM
Yeah I'm aware of the single shot with the longslide same way ar and ak pistols are built. I'm just trying to find a cheap 9mm frame to start off of and don't want to buy a 38 super to convert to 9mm

savs2k
10-08-2010, 6:27 PM
Anyone else wanna put in their 2cents? Loopholes anyone?

Rover
10-08-2010, 6:42 PM
Not possible, no loop-holes. Your only option is the single-shot exemption or buying the whole gun.

I need to check the list and see if the RIA 9mm is on it, been thinking about buying one as a beater to shoot for now while I collect parts to start tinkering.

savs2k
10-08-2010, 8:42 PM
Single shot exemption can be converted to semi later with a 5" slide though right? But to even build in a single shot I'd have to get the frame. I wouldn't mind building a single shot and keeping the long slide and barrel but how would I get the frame to start with anyways?

MA2
10-08-2010, 9:29 PM
With the extra fees of getting a single shot in, would it be worth it?

I think you would be better off getting the .38 super.
-sell the frame/barrel (hopefully someone with a 9mm wants a .38 super conversion), that way you get some money back in return.
Realistically, might be a hard sell, don't remember seeing a wtb ad for this.

Too bad ria does not have a slide/barrel trade program http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/icons/icon3.gif I am going to email RIA my idea :D

Oh, ria 9mm is not on list...i think we only have 4 full size 1911-9mm left 2-Springers, 1-Kimber, and 1-Para.

Cokebottle
10-08-2010, 9:46 PM
One loophole.

Intrafamilial transfers from out of state are roster-exempt.
Parent/grandparent/son/daughter.... direct blood line only.

It still has to go through an FFL, but it is roster exempt.

It is not a straw purchase for a parent to purchase a gun with the intent of gifting it to their child.

However, it would not be legal for you to send the money to your parents to buy the gun for you... in that case, they would be acting as an unlicensed dealer.

savs2k
10-09-2010, 6:48 AM
Would it be an issue to get just the frame instead of the whole gun that way if the gun was off list anyways? Also before I stopped going on the forums there was talk about oaklander and others fighting to get rid of the roster and it was to happen "soon". What ever happened to that?

Cokebottle
10-09-2010, 1:32 PM
Would it be an issue to get just the frame instead of the whole gun that way if the gun was off list anyways? Also before I stopped going on the forums there was talk about oaklander and others fighting to get rid of the roster and it was to happen "soon". What ever happened to that?
80% frame would be no problem, but the actual RIA frame can not be imported since it is not roster compliant. It would have to come in as a complete, functional, single-shot with a 6"+ barrel and 10.5" OAL.
The lawsuit on the roster is moving forward.

savs2k
10-09-2010, 1:56 PM
i would do an 80% but to my knowledge there is no 9mm 80% 1911 out. I guess I'll have to get the 38 super and convert it. THanks cokebottle

80% frame would be no problem, but the actual RIA frame can not be imported since it is not roster compliant. It would have to come in as a complete, functional, single-shot with a 6"+ barrel and 10.5" OAL.
The lawsuit on the roster is moving forward.

brassburnz
10-09-2010, 2:05 PM
Regarding .38 Super vs 9mm frame-I don't think the frames are dimensionally different. I have an RIA .38 super frame and it's already milled out for I believe a Clark ramped barrel (the cut is square at the end, not rounded). I use it for my Marvel .22 Conversion, so the cut is irrelevant.

I've actually built 9mm's on .45 acp frames. You just need a different ejector. Everything else is the same.

You'll be better off buying a complete gun and selling off the stuff you don't need. The RIA's that I have are older models and there are little things about them I don't like.

The plunger tube is different from the traditional Colt design. The left grip panel requires modification to make it fit properly. The metal is softer than a Springfield or Colt at the frontstrap, which leads me to believe its softer everywhere. I've checkered the frontstrap on two Colts, two Springfields and two RIA's. I haven't tested them for hardness, but the RIA was much easier to checker. I did one RIA after checkering a Springfield with the same file.

I'd use a Springfield for a base gun. You'll save money with the RIA, but in the longrun, you'll be happier with the Springfield.

If you can get a 1911 frame into the state, why not just buy a Caspian? I'd order a pre-fitted slide as well.

I've transferred off-list 1911 frames that were already in the state. Not a problem. Outside of the state, that's another story. Haven't done that yet.

savs2k
10-09-2010, 2:37 PM
i didnt think you can build a 9mm off a .45 frame. how did that turn out?