View Full Version : HK VP 70 Z trigger

10-08-2010, 2:52 PM
I have a HK vp 70 z. the trigger on this thing is horrible. anybody else have one? is there a smith i can send it to for a trigger job?

10-08-2010, 6:29 PM
The trigger on the VP-70 pistol was designed the way it is. It is inherently long and staple gun like. There was even an accessory buttstock available to qualified end users that incorporated a burst fire feature. If I remember correctly the original concept was to provide an inexpensive, easy to use "subgun" that could be issued en masse to the German population in the event of a Soviet invasion. The letters VP stand for Volks Pistole (Peoples Pistol). Just learn to blast away with the trigger you have. It is never going to be a precise target pistol, just an interesting plinker. Too bad you can't have a buttstock with a switch, huh?

10-09-2010, 4:52 AM
I remember hearing somewhere that they all had trigger pulls around 17 lbs. Not much you can do about it.

tyler durden
10-09-2010, 5:37 AM
I think VP is for Vollautomatische Pistole ("Fully automatic pistol") but I could be wrong. I always liked the look of this gun. I'm pretty sure I had a toy one when I was a kid.

Sam Hainn
10-09-2010, 12:18 PM
The trigger pull IS horrible on purpose. I recall reading they intended to create a dual semi-auto and sub-machine gun version where ideally, there was intention to have an alternate trigger design that would function either semi-auto or full auto depending on length of pull. In any case, they did build semi and full-auto versions. Interesting to note that even the semi-auto version have "machine gun" deep-cut rifling in the barrels.

Sam Hainn
10-09-2010, 12:19 PM
I have a HK vp 70 z. the trigger on this thing is horrible. anybody else have one? is there a smith i can send it to for a trigger job?

Don't worry about a "trigger" job - you will never be able to change the length of the pull - it will always suck.

10-10-2010, 8:29 AM
oh well thanks for the input. guess ill have to get used to it.

Swift Justice
10-10-2010, 3:16 PM
I had one. I sold if for that very reason - trigger pull. You have to have the wrist muscles of a hercules to shoot it with any accuracy. Since it squeeze cocks through the trigger, it was designed to be that way.

I did hear tell of someone that took out the squeeze cocker spring, cut off some of the coils and then stretched the spring to length to lighten the pull. I guess back in the early 90's this was a fairly common "underground" modification by some owners. Could never get anymore specifics on it than that (this was in the days before the internet was a gleam in Al Gore's eye and any info you could get was at gun shows and stores).

Ultra cool pistol and one of the first polymer handguns (beat Glock by a long shot) but let down by that horrendous trigger squeeze cocker.