View Full Version : Recommend a custom PC builder?

10-08-2010, 12:04 PM
My last custom build computer (2006) is starting to give me problems. Can any of you computer types recommend an individual or brick and mortor establishment in the Vista/Oceanside/San Marcos area for a reliable build/in home setup/etc. Actually, it's two computers, one, just a mainstream system to replace my wife's old used Dell and one a little higher up the scale for (photo editing--not video) and general MS Office, etc. Although I've used computers since 1984, they are tools so I'm not into building, installing, etc. systems.

I'm thinking on the bigger machine either the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T or the Intel i7-870 or ?. Any feedback on the pros/cons of those processors or other is appreciated. I've had good luck so far with other builds using Asus Motherboards, opinion? Yes, final cost is a factor too for the two machines.

Other past builds had nVideo cards with hit and miss reliability. Opinion?

Major use: MS Office, photo edit, and of course Calguns.

Stick with 32 bit or go 64? I'm leaning toward staying with 32 bit.

Thanks for any insight, opinions, and recommendations.

Note: I've had better luck in the past dealing with individual builders than store fronts, but...

10-08-2010, 1:28 PM
If you want to order the parts I will do an in-home assembly and any relevant installation for you. I'll also take any of the old hardware you no longer want. At the end of the year I end up donating any computers that I fix up.

PM me if you want to discuss pricing, for something as simple as this I'll do it inexpensively.

10-09-2010, 1:26 PM
Thanks to those that PMed me info. Unfortunately I need to place the the PC build on hold for a little while.

Thank you all and be safe..

The Custard Pirate
10-11-2010, 4:49 PM
Is there some reason you need someone else to do this, why don't you build it yourself?

10-17-2010, 9:24 AM
Custard, I'm great at taking things apart, but not all that good at putting thing together---correctly. Seriously, there are a lot of things that I know I can do well, but building a PC and working out compatibility issues, software, etc is beyond my patience limit. To me, PC's are a tool, but thanks for the suggestion. The thought did briefly cross my mind though. (I remember a Heath Kit shortwave radio I attempted to re-build many decades ago. It worked...sort of...for a few days before it went sizzle).

10-17-2010, 8:26 PM

unless you are in truly high performance areas ( heavy gaming and/or video editing ) dell will give you all customization you need. Will probably be cheaper and you will have a warranty.

10-17-2010, 9:27 PM
Unless you are building a very intense monster rig or purpose specific rig you are probably best off getting a dell.

You'll end up with a reasonable price and full customer support service.

10-18-2010, 10:40 PM
Man, you got me excited. I've been building my computer for last 8 years or so and love doing it. I've bought my parts from newegg who are quick and have pretty good prices.

I dual boot windows/linux so I'll go with nvidia (radeon graphics have caused me problems) I've experienced problems with 64 bit systems when it conflicts with 32bit software so I just avoid it and stick with a good intel processor.

From what I've learned, you can get a dell or off the shelf best buy (please don't go there) computer with good or high 'buzz' features but you ARE taking a hit on other places, such as graphics, motherboard quality,...etc (stuff that only people who build their own computer would know/care about unless you plan on doing any modern gaming)

Sorry I'm not up to date with specific items, I'm waiting till I have money/reason to build a new computer. Maybe when a new amazing game comes out I'll build one