PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x54R Yellow Tip Hungarian 172grn questions

SVT_Fox
05-31-2006, 10:50 PM
well first off Im new here and to the C&R world. I go this bulk surplus ammo from AIM. I am wonderng if anyone else has experience with this, and also are these re packable? My m/91 is a 42 tula. and seems to love the ammo. However some times the bolt wont cock back and needs to be slapped, and 2 out of about 300 shots did not fire on the 1st trigger pull, they fired on the second try however.

-Marcel

whatever
05-31-2006, 11:19 PM
well first off Im new here and to the C&R world. I go this bulk surplus ammo from AIM. I am wonderng if anyone else has experience with this, and also are these re packable? My m/91 is a 42 tula. and seems to love the ammo. However some times the bolt wont cock back and needs to be slapped, and 2 out of about 300 shots did not fire on the 1st trigger pull, they fired on the second try however.

-Marcel

What means "re-packable"?

kenc9
05-31-2006, 11:24 PM
Welcome to Calguns!
What you are getting is old oil and crud in the bolt lug area. Every Mosin especially the refurbed ones get this. You shoot it a few times and it gets worse then it gets hot and gets to the point that you can't open the bolt.
Some guys use a 12 guage brush on a drill and #9 solvent to get the bolt lug area clean. It is even hard to see, but where the lug locks into the receiver the crud locks the bolt. As far as not firing try different ammo and see if it keeps happening.

-ken

SVT_Fox
06-01-2006, 12:22 AM
What means "re-packable"?

re pack the case with a bullet and powder. re use the shell..sorry

Fate
06-01-2006, 9:15 AM
All surplus 7.62x54r is CORROSIVE and not reloadable. I hope you cleaned your rifle with boiling soapy water before your regular cleaning or you might be surprised at what you see inside the bore when you look in there next.

xenophobe
06-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Sure, it can be reloaded, maybe once or twice. Steel cases don't like to be reloaded though, but it is possible.

It's cheaper to just buy it in bulk, once you consider how much time/expense is factored into reloading.

The heavy ball can tend to force the case to blugle slightly against the chamber and be difficult to extract. This is just something you have to deal with when shooting the heavy ball. Light ball does not do this, and is one of the reasons why I prefer it. Besides my Dragunov could get damaged by shooting heavy ball. ;)

glen avon
06-01-2006, 10:56 AM
if you mean reload the empties, fuggedaboudit. not worth it as stated above, and steel isn't reloader friendly, and berdan decapping sux.

buy boxer brass from Grafs.

kenc9
06-01-2006, 12:29 PM
All surplus 7.62x54r is CORROSIVE and not reloadable. I hope you cleaned your rifle with boiling soapy water before your regular cleaning or you might be surprised at what you see inside the bore when you look in there next.
You are right in that it isn't worth reloading, I know some that have done it and as soon as they did it was the last time they did. You only need Berdan primers, make a decapper and be willing to waste and money, surplus ammo is cheaper and ready to shoot.

But if you do want to tinker around with reloading it here is the article showing how to.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/berdanreloading/index.asp
This is info about Berdan and Boxer,
I found it interesting to learn that both Berdan and Boxer refer to the surnames of Army officers who developed their respectively named priming systems. Oddly enough, Colonel Hiram Berdan was an American and Colonel E.M. Boxer was a British officer. Colonel Boxer actually designed an entire cartridge that used a coiled brass case with an iron base. Whereas the Boxer cartridge was made obsolete, the Boxer primer was so well designed that it has pretty much remained unchanged over the years. American Colonel Berdan developed both his priming system and a cheap method of drawing brass to form cartridges. I find it ironic that the American invention became the standard in Europe and the British invention became the standard in America

I haven't heard of anyone reloading it in two years!

-ken

Snuffalofogus
06-01-2006, 2:52 PM

-Marcel

shot this stuff, and the hungarian sliver tip this past sunday.

Heavy: For some reason shot low on my M44. Also had a tougher time extracting the casing.

Light Ball: This stuff rocks! Loud, hard hitting, and accurate. Rifle had a smoother action with this compared to the Heavy.

SVT_Fox
06-01-2006, 3:11 PM
thanks for the replys guys, I DO CLEAN WITH HOT WINDEX, then use hopps #9, the bore is always bright on this gun!

I also notice when the gun gets hot its harder to extract, No biggie, just needs some muscle..

:D

glen avon
06-01-2006, 4:05 PM
how do you clean the gas system

SVT_Fox
06-01-2006, 7:34 PM
I did not know my m/91 had a gas systm? Is that just on semi auto rifes?

glen avon
06-02-2006, 9:52 AM
I did not know my m/91 had a gas systm? Is that just on semi auto rifes?

it does not, I thought you had an SVT. my bad.

SVT_Fox
06-02-2006, 10:33 AM
it does not, I thought you had an SVT. my bad.

sorry If my name is misleading, It stands for special vehicle teams for my mustang cobra! not the super expensive semi auto! hahahah