PDA

View Full Version : was going to build a new PC

chris
10-07-2010, 7:42 PM
i was about to place my new processor in my new ASUS P6X58D and noticed where the processor sits a pin was out of place. good thing i noticed it. i do not want to try and put it together and fry the board and processor. so i will be going back to Micro Center and getting another one tomorrow.

i happen to catch it just right in the light and noticed it. i have it back in the box with the recipt from today.

Recession
10-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Make sure they don't try to blame you for the bent pin.

johnthomas
10-07-2010, 11:05 PM
Years ago I replaced ram in my computer, the cabinet was off. The computer was running but not reading the new ram, I noticed it was not in all the way, I reached in, pushed it in place and poof. Just like magic I burnt up 5 bills, lol. I'm glad you noticed it. jt

j.primo
10-07-2010, 11:13 PM
I burnt out an amd chip years ago. Frys took it back and replaced it. :D

Brianguy
10-08-2010, 1:35 AM
I burnt out an amd chip years ago. Frys took it back and replaced it. :D

Then I bought it after seeing it in the weekend ad. I returned it the next day and waited in line with the other 100 pissed off customers:D

incredablehefey
10-08-2010, 1:40 AM
double check the socket #

chris
10-08-2010, 9:14 PM
Make sure they don't try to blame you for the bent pin.

they took it back no problem and i have the computer running now. i like Win7

double check the socket #

there was no problem in that area. i happen to catch the light right and saw it.

Oshiat
10-09-2010, 8:58 AM
I just built a PC using the Asus P6X58D board also. Its damn sweet. Things have changed a lot since I built my last PC.

The Custard Pirate
10-13-2010, 2:47 PM
Years ago I replaced ram in my computer, the cabinet was off. The computer was running but not reading the new ram, I noticed it was not in all the way, I reached in, pushed it in place and poof. Just like magic I burnt up 5 bills, lol. I'm glad you noticed it. jt

Congratulations John, you discovered or should I say rediscovered the Computer Hobbyists Prime Directive: Tho shalt not insert, remove or otherwise disturb components without powering down. And waiting a few seconds.

Some families of electronic components are more susceptible to this than others and the syndrome is somewhat intermittent but just because someone gets away with it once in a while doesn't mean it's a good practice.

JDay
10-13-2010, 2:49 PM
Congratulations John, you discovered or should I say rediscovered the Computer Hobbyists Prime Directive: Tho shalt not insert, remove or otherwise disturb components without powering down. And waiting a few seconds.

You want to power down, unplug the power cable and hit the power button to discharge the PSU before you touch anything.

The Custard Pirate
10-14-2010, 4:54 PM
You want to power down, unplug the power cable and hit the power button to discharge the PSU before you touch anything.

If you want to do all those things go ahead. It's not necessary to un plug the power cord unless you are going to move the power supply, switching off the power cuts the ac to the power supply and that is sufficient. Waiting a few seconds will allow the capacitors in the power supply as well at those in the rest of the system to discharge, it will then be safe to plugin and remove components.

Oshiat
10-14-2010, 5:20 PM
I prefer keeping the power cord plugged in also. It ensures that everything is grounded so there isnt an ESD issue when installing new components.

ExtremeX
10-14-2010, 5:29 PM
I prefer keeping the power cord plugged in also. It ensures that everything is grounded so there isnt an ESD issue when installing new components.

+1

I keep it plugged in too, and the switch on the PSU in the off position.

It should still remain grounded.

Nice mobo OP, I built one with the ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution last year and stuffed it with 12GB ram. One heck of a solid build. Damaged pins on the board happen, sometimes by the end user not removing the protective cap correctly. Iím glad they started putting the pins on the mobo and not the processors. Love the LGA 1366 socket too.
Whats your plans for CPU, RAM, HDD, and GPU?