View Full Version : Russian SKS Questions

05-31-2006, 8:10 PM
I have a Russian SKS I am thinking about selling (this is not a sale ad). I have not made a decision to sell just yet. I bought this gun 6 years ago from River City Gun Exchange. There is a number on the dust cover. It says 1950r. I was wondering if this is the year it was made. If it is the date that would make it over 50 years old. I have read is some old threads that I would not need to go through an FFL to sell it to a private party. I want to make sure this is correct. I have a somewhat uneasy feeling of selling this rifle to someone without an FFL since I had to go through an FFL to get it. How do you make a sale like this? TIA

05-31-2006, 8:21 PM
You can just do a face to face transfer since it is over 50 years old like you said. If you feel uneasy about it you can still pay the government and go through an FFL but there is no need to.

05-31-2006, 8:29 PM
You went through an FFL because most likely you bought it out of state.
Face to Face is fine or you can walk around the gun show with a sign down the barrel saying for sale.

C&R's are ok face to face if they are Kalifornians, get a D.L. from them.


05-31-2006, 11:54 PM
Thanks for you help guys.

06-01-2006, 3:52 AM
Yes, the 1950r means rifle was made in 1950, thus over 50 years old.

06-01-2006, 5:48 AM
Even if it's a C&R 01 FFLs (dealers) are required to do DROS. You cannot cash and carry out of an 01 FFL dealer unless you have an 03 FFL and COE. Like others have stated though face to face and 50 years old is okay for longarms.

Nice gun.

06-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Okay newb question real quick. If the rifle is 50 years old there is no need for any forms? I can just give cash and leave? No registration?

06-01-2006, 11:11 AM
At a gunshow or face to face, no forms if you don't have a C&R.