PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Quality Decline?

BuckTurgidson
10-07-2010, 4:41 PM
Kimber makes beautiful pistols. But I've seen a number of posts on various gun websites that claim Kimber build quality has declined. Those who make this claim don't bother to explain why. So I ask you wonderful fellahs, has the quality and/or reliability of Kimber 1911 pistols taken a dive and if so, why exactly?

Greg-Dawg
10-07-2010, 4:47 PM
Rusty barrels due to oxidation...I've seen it multiple times.

Noobert
10-07-2010, 4:47 PM
Probably because of the economy, and companies start finding ways to cut costs

BuckTurgidson
10-07-2010, 5:47 PM

Sure, I've seen rusty barrels, in a number of guns. But why would this be a quality issue rather than the result of poor maintenance?

BuckTurgidson
10-07-2010, 5:48 PM

Right. What exactly are the cost cutting measures?

loosewreck
10-07-2010, 5:50 PM
MIM parts, is usually what most 1911nistas complain about. I've had a personal experience with a MIM firing pin stop on a Springfield GI, and yeah it sucked- cracked down the center after 500+/- rounds and lots of dry firing.

I used to rent an early model Custom II at my local pistol range, man that thing was sweet.

BuckTurgidson
10-07-2010, 6:26 PM
MIM parts, is usually what most 1911nistas complain about. I've had a personal experience with a MIM firing pin stop on a Springfield GI, and yeah it sucked- cracked down the center after 500+/- rounds and lots of dry firing.

I used to rent an early model Custom II at my local pistol range, man that thing was sweet.

Ah, thanx for that specific infomation! Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Ascout
10-07-2010, 6:44 PM
Have a CDPII "custom shop" gun. Only "cheap" part on it is the plastic "A1" backstrap, but that's more for weight.

Most forgiving .45 with regard to ammo I've ever fired. Digested 9 of 10 commercial and personal reload types with only FTF on MagTech, which I don't care for anyway.

Very accurate for a 3" barrel.

JanG
10-07-2010, 6:49 PM
i have a warrior II with 600 rds and i have yet to experience any problems with it. it's probably just purists and snobs that complain about mim or other "cheap" material parts. take care of the gun and it should take care of you. i try to shoot it as much as i can so i can find faults within the 1 year warranty :D

loosewreck
10-07-2010, 7:00 PM
Glad I could help, it really depends on where the MIM part is used. I personally don't really care if a pistol has them or not, but in that particular case it was in a high stress area like the firing pin stop, so it was kind of ridiculous, however it was an easy part to replace.

Ah, thanx for that specific infomation! Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

glockman19
10-07-2010, 7:00 PM
The only reason you hear that is because they make and sell more 1911's than any other manufacturer.

Of my 5 Kimbers I only had minor issues with a Pro Carry II, after contacting Dennis @ kimber it was sent in and since I've gotten it back has run flawlessly.

Check out the m1911 forums for more info:

http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Rhatical
10-07-2010, 7:32 PM
Not based on my experience with a 9 month old Eclipse Custom II - has been outstanding!

PingPongBob
10-07-2010, 8:12 PM
Here's six pages for you.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=117851

erratikmind
10-07-2010, 8:16 PM
Love my new Kimber Stainless Target II in 9mm. I have shot 500 flawless rounds since getting it last Saturday. This blaster is very accurate, to say the least.

Prowler
10-07-2010, 8:18 PM
Thousands of rounds through my Tactical Custom ll, never failed.

jessegpresley
10-07-2010, 8:53 PM
Is this the reason why people seem to covet the Clackamas-made ones more than the Yonkers?

SnWnMe
10-07-2010, 9:22 PM
Kimber quality hasn't declined from the rock bottom they hit many years ago.

My most problematic 1911s were Kimbers. I still have one, my 10mm. It took a bit of fluff and buff to make it run.

bladerunner747
10-07-2010, 9:43 PM
FTFs galore. A classical "jammomatic". Sent it to the Kimber shop at 1,000 rounds point, came back, same thing. Ultra carry II, the most beautiful paper weight in the world! Disappointing!

Colt
10-07-2010, 10:11 PM
They had a lot of issues when they went to the external extractor, but they dumped that idea a couple years ago, I believe.

POLICESTATE
10-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Properly oiled negates the rust. The models with external extractors have some issue with them. They have since dispensed with them and gone back to internal extractors. My Kimber has 1100 rounds through it and never a FTE. Gun shoots like a champ.

BuckTurgidson
10-07-2010, 10:24 PM
GlockMan19 and PingPongBob: Thanx for those very helpful links! Also appreciate the helpful info from other posters.

Millions-Knives
10-07-2010, 10:29 PM
I have a Gold Match II... works great.
It's seen a few thousand rounds and my personal hand loads.

SnWnMe
10-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Not just the external extractor. Mags and other things too. My 10mm had a burr on the slide stop that held the slide open before the mag was empty. A couple of passes of a file and it was fixed. Still it was annoying.

SnWnMe
10-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Here's six pages for you.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=117851

Check out posts 57 and 59. Those were my fixes (with pictures).

BuckTurgidson
10-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Check out posts 57 and 59. Those was my fixes (with pictures).

Will do, thanx.

Swoop
10-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Have had good and bad experiences, I'd still buy one though and just be sure to break it in

odysseus
10-08-2010, 12:06 AM
There is a lot written out there in regards to some people hating on Kimber, and being the internet you hear the bad loudest. And of course many that love them. So I was a little apprehensive when I got a deal on a new tactical custom II, thinking I hope it doesn't turn into a headache.

But it hasn't. It did have a few FTFs during the first couple of hundred rounds which I have learned does happen when they are brand new out of the box, but since then on good wilson mags I have had no problems and it is a pleasure to shoot.

taloft
10-08-2010, 4:39 AM
I've had two custom II's. The first had easily 2,000+ rounds before it was stolen. The replacement has approx. 500 rounds down the pipe. Neither presented any problems.

plankowner
10-08-2010, 6:18 AM
I have a custom tle/rl and about a thousand rounds through it and not a single problem.

Cyc Wid It
10-08-2010, 1:01 PM
Hilton Yam of 10-8:

"Firing pin safeties typically fall into the Colt Series 80 pattern which are actuated by the trigger (Colt Series 80, Para Ordnance, Sig GSR) and the Swartz style safety which is actuated by the grip safety (Kimber, Smith & Wesson). Of all the firing pin safety mechanisms on the market, the original Colt Series 80 - in a Colt - is the most reliable of them all. The platforms utilizing the Swartz safety are a less than ideal choice across the board due to the inherent reliability problems of the design. The Swartz safety is extremely sensitive to the fit of the grip safety to the frame and the timing of the grip safety's trigger blocking arm. Tolerance issues can also lead to a Swartz safety that will time properly when the grip safety is depressed a certain way, and time differently when depressed a different way. This will typically be a product of loose fit of the grip safety to the frame tangs and/or loose fit of the thumb safety shaft through the grip safety. It is possible to have the grip safety timed such that the trigger will be able to release the sear well before the firing pin safety plunger has been moved far enough to clear the firing pin. Problems with improper timing of the Swartz safeties can lead to a situation where you get a "click" when you wanted a "bang." That's a serious problem. Unless department policy mandates a firing pin safety, I would choose a 1911 without one. It is possible to have a drop safe 1911 without the firing pin safety, and given the potential reliability problems with a poorly executed system, the perceived risk of drop safety is outweighed by the real risk of a failure to fire."

zman
10-08-2010, 2:05 PM
In the last two years I've been around various firearms forums including CGN, the top two major companies that are being mentioned when it comes to decline in quality have always been Kimber and Sig Sauer. I do have both companies' products and do/did have problems with them. I guess there's some truth in there :(

Legasat
10-08-2010, 3:29 PM
Actually from what I have read, their quality is UP from about 3 years ago.

Maybe I am reading the wrong places? :confused:

negolien
10-08-2010, 4:05 PM
Just got back from the range with my new Custom II no issues shoots like a dream.

cineski
10-08-2010, 4:25 PM
Everyone's buying guns and ammo for the past 2 years!

Ultimate
10-08-2010, 4:26 PM
Sure, I've seen rusty barrels, in a number of guns. But why would this be a quality issue rather than the result of poor maintenance?

Because other guns' barrels are treated with better anti-corrosion properties. Guns costing many hundreds less mind you.

railroader
10-08-2010, 6:24 PM
Because other guns' barrels are treated with better anti-corrosion properties. Guns costing many hundreds less mind you.

I've had my kimber custom for 13 years. I don't take exceptional care with it. Heck I shoot and put it away dirty. So far no rusty barrel or broken parts. To be fair it shot really low when I got it. Just took some off the front sight and it was good to go. Mark

randy
10-09-2010, 2:01 AM
I don't know if the quality has declined but I bought the top of the line model (stainless super match?) in 99 and the rear site broke and the extractor needed to be fit.

stormvet
10-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Hilton Yam of 10-8:

"Firing pin safeties typically fall into the Colt Series 80 pattern which are actuated by the trigger (Colt Series 80, Para Ordnance, Sig GSR) and the Swartz style safety which is actuated by the grip safety (Kimber, Smith & Wesson). Of all the firing pin safety mechanisms on the market, the original Colt Series 80 - in a Colt - is the most reliable of them all. The platforms utilizing the Swartz safety are a less than ideal choice across the board due to the inherent reliability problems of the design. The Swartz safety is extremely sensitive to the fit of the grip safety to the frame and the timing of the grip safety's trigger blocking arm. Tolerance issues can also lead to a Swartz safety that will time properly when the grip safety is depressed a certain way, and time differently when depressed a different way. This will typically be a product of loose fit of the grip safety to the frame tangs and/or loose fit of the thumb safety shaft through the grip safety. It is possible to have the grip safety timed such that the trigger will be able to release the sear well before the firing pin safety plunger has been moved far enough to clear the firing pin. Problems with improper timing of the Swartz safeties can lead to a situation where you get a "click" when you wanted a "bang." That's a serious problem. Unless department policy mandates a firing pin safety, I would choose a 1911 without one. It is possible to have a drop safe 1911 without the firing pin safety, and given the potential reliability problems with a poorly executed system, the perceived risk of drop safety is outweighed by the real risk of a failure to fire."

Yam forgot to mention that this is also one of the reasons Kimbers triggers are so much better then Colt 80's.

BuckTurgidson
10-10-2010, 12:31 AM
Thanks to Cyc Wid It for turning me on to Hilton Yam. Check out the link below the quote for more straight dope on a relatively large sample of Kimber pistols' performance over a few thousand rounds:
"Over on 10-8Forums.com, we'd had some threads which discussed issues with the Kimber Warrior, which I had once recommended as a viable service 1911. Our collective withdrawal of endorsement for the Kimber lineup has been met with great consternation throughout the internet, with folks arguing bitterly on both sides of the matter. I wanted to speak for myself this time around, and in a venue in which more folks would be able to ask questions if they desired. "
http://10-8performance.blogspot.com/2010/07/kimber-warrior.html

Of course, this doesn't answer the question of whether Kimber quality has declined, but at least I'm not going to expect long term reliability of a Kimber pistol right out of the box.

BlueOvalFan
10-10-2010, 12:39 AM
I have an custom eclipse II I purchased new around 2002. It has gone 'bang' everytime I asked it to.

Cyc Wid It
10-10-2010, 2:09 AM
Thanks to Cyc Wid It for turning me on to Hilton Yam. Check out the link below the quote for more straight dope on a relatively large sample of Kimber pistols' performance over a few thousand rounds:
"Over on 10-8Forums.com, we'd had some threads which discussed issues with the Kimber Warrior, which I had once recommended as a viable service 1911. Our collective withdrawal of endorsement for the Kimber lineup has been met with great consternation throughout the internet, with folks arguing bitterly on both sides of the matter. I wanted to speak for myself this time around, and in a venue in which more folks would be able to ask questions if they desired. "

Of course, this doesn't answer the question of whether Kimber quality has declined, but at least I'm not going to expect long term reliability of a Kimber pistol right out of the box.

Glad you found some good reading. As always, got to take things with a grain of salt, but on the whole I think his opinion is worth considering. I originally started reading his articles regarding magazine choices and duty weapon choices. While I hear he makes good products, I have not used any yet.

.50DE
10-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Idk about it being on the decline, but to me it seems to be on the upswing. I work at a range part time for a second job and used to see alot of malfunctions a few years ago with Kimbers. Havent seen any as of late with ppl that have baught them recently. Where I work dsnt sell them, so this is only what ppl bring in mind you

xxINKxx
10-10-2010, 11:40 AM
I just puchased a Kimber Custom II about 2 or so months ago. It has shot 100% flawless since I puchased it. Ive only shot enough for the break in period, but so far so good.

I get the "rusty" barrel while out shooting as someone mentioned above. I just spray it with a CLP when I get home and it wipes right off without even scrubbing and it shiney agian.

Factory mags perform perfect too.

No complaints at all.

Ironspirit
10-10-2010, 12:47 PM
I shoot several Kimbers on IDPA matches. No.... not at the same time. I've ran a couple thousand rounds through each one. I've not had anything break.... other than a blister on my hand once while shooting 500+ rounds during practice. :62:

flyinghi
10-10-2010, 1:51 PM

This happened to my CDP II. It is not oxidation as you would think (in areas of wear, starts with a light coat that initially comes off, etc). It looked like my barrel had leprosy. 90% of the barrel was fine and 10% (on top of the barrel just in front of the "45 Auto" marking) had a significantly advanced form of pitting and rust that would NOT come off. This was after 6 months from buying it new and with all storage conditions correct. I called Kimber who mentioned that this was a known issue with a bad formulation of steel stock that they had received. They did not find out about it until they had already shipped most of the pieces. Supposedly, only 100 to 200 barrels are/were "bad". Of course, they had a new barrel fitted to my frame/slide free of charge. I had to ship the whole piece though so it cost a bunch to ship.

JanG
11-03-2010, 1:25 AM
Hilton Yam of 10-8:

That's a serious problem. Unless department policy mandates a firing pin safety, I would choose a 1911 without one. It is possible to have a drop safe 1911 without the firing pin safety, and given the potential reliability problems with a poorly executed system, the perceived risk of drop safety is outweighed by the real risk of a failure to fire."

rock islands are better than kimbers :D

Shenaniguns
11-03-2010, 6:29 AM
Kimber makes beautiful pistols. But I've seen a number of posts on various gun websites that claim Kimber build quality has declined. Those who make this claim don't bother to explain why. So I ask you wonderful fellahs, has the quality and/or reliability of Kimber 1911 pistols taken a dive and if so, why exactly?

edit: I just notice this was posted :o

Kimber's quality has declined since they made the II series with that awful Swartz(sp?) firing pin safety, filled it with a ton of MIM parts and had QC issues like rust and tight chambers.

Here's an article I just found from a reputable gunsmith/instructor Hilton Yam:

Monday, July 12, 2010

The Kimber Warrior (http://10-8performance.blogspot.com/2010/07/kimber-warrior.html)

Over on 10-8Forums.com, we'd had some threads which discussed issues with the Kimber Warrior, which I had once recommended as a viable service 1911. Our collective withdrawal of endorsement for the Kimber lineup has been met with great consternation throughout the internet, with folks arguing bitterly on both sides of the matter. I wanted to speak for myself this time around, and in a venue in which more folks would be able to ask questions if they desired. For starters, you can read the original threads HERE (http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=84156&Searchpage=1&Main=9612&Words=Kimber+Warrior&Search=true#Post84156) and HERE (http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=56097&Searchpage=1&Main=5844&Words=Kimber+Warrior&Search=true#Post56097).

Before we start with the discussion, please consider the sample size that I have used to reach my conclusions, then consider your sample size. This is meant strictly as an academic discussion that includes statistics, not an emotional mudslinging event. Let's look objectively at how I've come to my conclusions, starting with the photo below:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_BrhCi9WZCEk/TDu3aUMtZkI/AAAAAAAAABs/AOWQNCv-vso/s320/Frames3.jpg (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_BrhCi9WZCEk/TDu3aUMtZkI/AAAAAAAAABs/AOWQNCv-vso/s1600/Frames3.jpg)

Yup, that's part of a batch of Kimber Warriors that I worked on over the course of several days, with several assistants. The guns were all in street service, and all had over 3000 rounds each on them when I first met them, and about 5-6000 rounds when I got them in the photo above. They exhibited the following symptoms during the first training class:
-Feedway malfunctions with OEM Kimber TacPro mags - rounds would nose down into the frame below the feedramp
-Feedway malfunctions with quality aftermarket magazines. The feedramps were improperly dimensioned and all the guns came with the Kimpro finish on the feedramp so they became sticky with extended firing.
-Extractor tension failures - some of the extractors fell right out of the slides upon disassembly
-Slide stop problems - premature lockbacks, failure to lock back, or improper lockback such that seating a magazine caused the slide to drop. Most of the guns had .38/9mm slide stops with lobes so long that they struck the top round in the magazine. These guns were .45's.
-Rear sights falling out

When I got to the pistols at around 5-6000 rounds, we had some more problems:
-at least 2/3 of the pistols had loose plunger tubes that were held in primarily by the grips. The factory plunger tubes were MIM units which did not hold a stake very well.
-grip screws had come out with the bushings, as they were not staked or Loctited at the factory
-several had their barrel bushings break. These bushings were machined, and I have no idea why they went south.

With the following fixes, the guns were born again hard, and have served with distinction and many have reached 15-20,000 rounds on them with only replacement extractors and springs.
-new bar stock plunger tubes, bushings, and extractors
-recut and polish feed ramps
-Replace and Loctite and/or stake grip screw bushings and sights
-Replace OEM magazines
-Adjust slide stop lobe, detent rear face

The issues that this batch of guns also reflected many of those which I had worked on, as well as those experiences of my peers in the industry. I each instance, with the requisite fixes, the guns were good to go. I personally ran one of the original Warriors with only the above tweaks for about a year, and a decent 5 digit round count (sorry, don't have the log book for that one any more).

In summary, if you like your gun and it works, have a good time and drive on. If you're looking for a new gun, then read over this list and compare stats with the other reviews and recommendations. Ultimately, it's on you to decide what you want. Decide with facts.

MilSim
11-03-2010, 7:55 AM
rock islands are better than kimbers :D

Hahaha funny you should say that, i abuse my RIA and no issues.
Kimber custom II rusty slide even with light oil film and sparkling clean, sits in the safe, a week later rust. RIA not cleaned for two weeks and dry as bone, no rust, even on the barrel.

DArBad
11-03-2010, 10:26 AM
I find this thread really interesting.

For all the negative assertions related to Kimber's use of the Swartz safety, has there been any report of problems related to it, from the LAPD SWAT Team's use of the Kimber TLE II??

glockman19
11-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Copper coated ammo will leave some copper in the barrel it's not rust in most cases. ANY barrel not properly oiled will rust or oxidize.

As far as MIM parts and Swartz safety...I'm sure that there are some issues based on the volume of manufacturing but all in all they are just fine.

I have heard NO issues with them from LAPD or SWAT and my friend Don runs LAPRAC gun store.

Finally, Kimber stands behind it's product 100% and will repair or relplace anything that is of issue.

I'll continue to buy Kimber as I believe they have the best value for what you get.

Shenaniguns
11-03-2010, 10:35 AM
I find this thread really interesting.

For all the negative assertions related to Kimber's use of the Swartz safety, has there been any report of problems related to it, from the LAPD SWAT Team's use of the Kimber TLE II??

No, because the LAPD uses a Series 70 version

DArBad
11-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Copper coated ammo will leave some copper in the barrel it's not rust in most cases. ANY barrel not properly oiled will rust or oxidize.

As far as MIM parts and Swartz safety...I'm sure that there are some issues based on the volume of manufacturing but all in all they are just fine.

I have heard NO issues with them from LAPD or SWAT and my friend Don runs LAPRAC gun store.

Finally, Kimber stands behind it's product 100% and will repair or relplace anything that is of issue.

I'll continue to buy Kimber as I believe they have the best value for what you get.

Thanks for that, Glockman19!

I've always been interested of Kimbers, I like their fit and finish, and just by eyeballing and holding them, they just ooze with quality and appeal. Hence my intense interest in this thread.

Shenaniguns
11-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Thanks for that, Glockman19!

I've always been interested of Kimbers, I like their fit and finish, and just by eyeballing and holding them, they just ooze with quality and appeal. Hence my intense interest in this thread.

Read the article from Hilton Yam who knows what he is talking about before you make that terrible decision.

DArBad
11-03-2010, 10:47 AM
No, because the LAPD uses a Series 70 version

Shenaniguns,

Are you sure about this, because from The Handunner Magazine (around 2003 issue) Gary Paul Johnson the reviewer and writer of the article stated that one of the prerequisite of the LAPD in choosing the Kimber is the existence of the firing pin safety on thier guns, to comply with California's mandate???

Shenaniguns
11-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Shenaniguns,

Are you sure about this, because from The Handunner Magazine (around 2003 issue) Gary Paul Johnson the reviewer and writer of the article stated that one of the prerequisite of the LAPD in choosing the Kimber is the existence of the firing pin safety on thier guns, to comply with California's mandate???

I just found an article that indicated that they did not want it originally but found out CA law dictated it:

Law Interferes

An internal firing pin lock was not initially part of the spec sheet, either, until bureaucracy got in the way. Los Angeles is, of course, part and parcel of a place often called by its own residents the PRK, or People’s Republic of Kalifornia. Part of the state’s Draconian collection of gun laws now requires passive firing pin locks on semiauto pistols acquired privately as opposed to governmental purchase.

The Los Angeles city government wasn’t buying these guns for SIS, though the Department had OK’d them as privately owned, department-approved guns for duty use by Section members. The operative term here was “privately owned.” This meant the guns would need Kimber’s Series II treatment, a resurrection of the Swartz-type firing pin safety of the 1930s working off the grip safety. Guns sold to the public in the SIS series will have the original sight developed for the Section, and will come without the passive firing pin safety.
Each pistol comes with a Pro-Tac magazine, partly made by the company and partly by a vendor Kimber is cagey about naming. The magazine well is slightly relieved for speed-loading. The laminate grips are a style I haven’t seen before. They’re stippled instead of checkered and they’re stippled in the right places. Perhaps as a “style thing,” Kimber took it upon itself to make the slide’s grasping grooves in the shape of billboard-like letters reading “SIS.”

Shenaniguns
11-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Here are some quality articles regarding 1911's
http://www.10-8performance.com/Articles.html

http://www.10-8performance.com/1911_Duty_Use.html

Firing pin safeties typically fall into the Colt Series 80 pattern which are actuated by the trigger (Colt Series 80, Para Ordnance, Sig GSR) and the Swartz style safety which is actuated by the grip safety (Kimber, Smith & Wesson). Of all the firing pin safety mechanisms on the market, the original Colt Series 80 - in a Colt - is the most reliable of them all. The platforms utilizing the Swartz safety are a less than ideal choice across the board due to the inherent reliability problems of the design. The Swartz safety is extremely sensitive to the fit of the grip safety to the frame and the timing of the grip safety's trigger blocking arm. Tolerance issues can also lead to a Swartz safety that will time properly when the grip safety is depressed a certain way, and time differently when depressed a different way. This will typically be a product of loose fit of the grip safety to the frame tangs and/or loose fit of the thumb safety shaft through the grip safety. It is possible to have the grip safety timed such that the trigger will be able to release the sear well before the firing pin safety plunger has been moved far enough to clear the firing pin. Problems with improper timing of the Swartz safeties can lead to a situation where you get a "click" when you wanted a "bang." That's a serious problem. Unless department policy mandates a firing pin safety, I would choose a 1911 without one. It is possible to have a drop safe 1911 without the firing pin safety, and given the potential reliability problems with a poorly executed system, the perceived risk of drop safety is outweighed by the real risk of a failure to fire.

DArBad
11-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks a lot, Shenaniguns!

Its good you posted those websites, it gives one, more research things to look at rather than just blindly diving-in, so to speak. An informed buyer is a wise buyer, so they say;)

BHPFan
11-03-2010, 11:37 AM
I wouldn't say that Kimber's quality has gone down: they are well made and tightly fit. However, the only issue that I have with Kimber pistols is the Swartz safety. That's the only reason why I don't buy them, just give a rare Series 1 Kimber any day.

Shenaniguns
11-03-2010, 11:40 AM
I wouldn't call a 1911 of that price range filled with cheaply made MIM parts in critical areas well made... That's just me.

ArkinDomino
11-03-2010, 11:49 AM
My Kimber has gone through about 3k of flawless performance. The one problem I did have was my fault for a crappy reload I made myself. I had a bullet lodged in the barrel but it wasn't anything a wood rob and hammer couldn't handle. My custom II is my 2nd favorite gun.