PDA

View Full Version : Question about Colt Government .380?

Vsanzbajo
10-07-2010, 2:05 PM
What is better for this gun? Full length guide rod, or the original shorter plastic guide rod?
Thanks in advance.

Andy Taylor
10-07-2010, 3:57 PM
The gun in question is a small pocket pistol. It will never be a target grade gun. While you may use it as a plinker or informal target pistol, I see no reason to possibly inhibit function with a full length guide rod.

GWbiker
10-07-2010, 8:46 PM
Colt Government .380acp is very similar in detail to the SIG P238 which is strictly a close range defensive hand gun. Neither gun is consider a "Plinker"

A Colt Gov. .380 in very good condition with Colt box, IB and both OEM magazines fetches more money than a NIB P238.

I would suggest make no changes to the Colt and put it away. There are more inexpensive handguns available for daily pocket carry.

Colt
10-07-2010, 9:02 PM
I have one and switched to metal guide rod, then sent it out for some custom work and had a new short guide fabbed out of metal - which the very well known custom smith messed up, so I'm back to plastic. I thought the short guide rod in metal would be best of both worlds: original configuration, but metal rather than plastic.

I did the same thing with trigger - replaced plastic with aluminum. Still planning to get a short, metal guide rod eventually...

Vsanzbajo
10-09-2010, 5:46 PM
more opinions, reliable? Known problems? I am trying to get as much info as possible.
Thanks in advance.

Colt
10-10-2010, 1:33 PM
I think they are terrific. I love mine - it's the government .380 all steel frame in blue.

bigbob76
10-10-2010, 1:50 PM
I think they are terrific. I love mine - it's the government .380 all steel frame in blue.

That's what I have also. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised how easy it is to shoot well. I got a heads up from another calgunner not to let my wife shoot it or she'd want it for herself. I'm working on getting another one now. I'm not going to alter it in anyway unless I decide to get it engraved.

Colt
10-10-2010, 3:52 PM
I had some Novak sights and an aluminum trigger, and a trigger job done on mine. It's pretty amazing now. Actually being able to see the sights is a big plus, and the trigger is awesome.

Vsanzbajo
10-10-2010, 4:43 PM
Colt where did you do the trigger job?

Colt
10-10-2010, 9:55 PM
I had the work done by Cylinder & Slide. But if I knew then what I know now, I would send it to Don Williams of the ActionWorks. He has done terrific work for me on 1911s, but I didn't know he worked on the 380 until I had already ordered the package from Cylinder & Slide.

I would definitely have Don do the work rather than C&S.