PDA

View Full Version : What gun would you get?

morrcarr67
10-07-2010, 4:35 AM
My Mother's moving back home to California from Missouri in a couple of weeks. She already has a EMF Hartford 1911 built by DGC Custom Gunsmithing that she is bringing me as a gift.
We don't have much time or much money for her to get me one more gun. I'm torn between a Taurus 709 Slim and the FM 90 from Argentina.
What do you think. Which of these would you get or is there something else you would want as a gift from your Mother moving back home from a free state?

Ventura_Yak'r
10-07-2010, 5:17 AM
HK P30L, DW Valor 1911, or/& Wilson Combat XTAC 1911 :yes:

Oceanbob
10-07-2010, 5:39 AM
CZ Phantom; Ruger LCP; HK P30; HK .45 Tactical (yeah a little pricey) Springfield XDM
(.40 for me) (two tone is cool). Perhaps a Glock Gen 4. On all these weapons or any other weapon she could do a Interfamilial Transfer tomorrow from Missouri. Legally she can Fed Ex a weapon as a gift to you direct to a prearranged FFL close to you (make sure they take direct shipments; some do, some don't) with a letter and copy of her ID that says the weapon is a gift from Mom. The FFL can then DROS the weapon to you; you wait the 10 days and pick it up. If any have normal mags (over 10 rounds) have mom get a friend who can take them apart and then mail them direct to you as Rebuild kits. I am not sure but I think she can transfer 6 weapons a year to you. I may be wrong about the number however.

Of the two choices above I pick the Taurus PT709.

morrcarr67
10-07-2010, 6:04 AM
On all these weapons or any other weapon she could do a Interfamilial Transfer tomorrow from Missouri. Legally she can Fed Ex a weapon as a gift to you direct to a prearranged FFL close to you (make sure they take direct shipments; some do, some don't) with a letter and copy of her ID that says the weapon is a gift from Mom.

I thought that for Mom to send me a gift from out of state and send it to my local FFL it would have to be on the California Approved list if it was a handgun.

chuckdc
10-07-2010, 12:02 PM
I thought that for Mom to send me a gift from out of state and send it to my local FFL it would have to be on the California Approved list if it was a handgun.

Nope. Intrafamilial transfers are exempt from the roster.

I hear those Remington 1911s are pretty nice,BTW.

morrcarr67
10-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Nope. Intrafamilial transfers are exempt from the roster.

I hear those Remington 1911s are pretty nice,BTW.

Any where I can look that info up @? Cal DOJ? know a code number?

With the Hartford on it's way I'm good on 1911's right now

Ultimate
10-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Dan Wesson Guardian 1911 9mm.

Kimber Pro Carry II 9mm.

:D

85FourEyedGT
10-07-2010, 1:03 PM
FNP45!

sniper4usmc
10-07-2010, 1:04 PM
FNP 45 tactical in Tan,or CZ Phantom

not-fishing
10-07-2010, 1:06 PM
Uncle Ted like's 10mm EAA Witness.

I've always thought that would be an inexpensive blaster. :)

Sam
10-07-2010, 1:10 PM
What do you want? I'd want a Wilson Combat LW Compact.

gorenut
10-07-2010, 1:13 PM
Another vote for CZ Phantom. Buds has em for $450.. so they should go pretty cheap. Worst case scenario.. you hate the gun... sell it to me:)

sker13
10-07-2010, 1:30 PM
XDm in forty. you can get a couple barrels and shot 9 or 357 SIG.

Andy Taylor
10-07-2010, 1:33 PM
Python!

CSACANNONEER
10-07-2010, 1:34 PM
I'd try to find a COP but, they are expensive nitch guns. Just go with what you really want.

morrcarr67
10-07-2010, 2:02 PM
OK, several people have mentioned the CZ Phantom. What and why so special?

Rekrab
10-07-2010, 2:05 PM
Personally I'd transfer some AR Pistol lowers...

morrcarr67
10-07-2010, 4:19 PM
I was also thinking about getting a S&W MP15-22-P. Just reading the California Assault Weapons guide and they have a section titled:

Generic Characteristics Defining Assault Weapons:
12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Penal Code section 12276, “assault weapon” shall also mean the following:

Pistols
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to
fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

So based on section "D" I would have to install a bullet button on this 22LR Pistol. Right?

morrcarr67
10-07-2010, 4:23 PM
Personally I'd transfer some AR Pistol lowers...

Well even though they can be gotten here in California it would be easier to get some registered in Missouri.

I'll have to think about that. When I go to put them in my name how will the California dealer know that they were registered as pistols?

Thefeeder
10-07-2010, 4:29 PM
WHAT ARE YOU THINKING !!!!!!!

Colt Python....Diamondback .22.....Series 70 Commander....Gold Cup......

THINK LIKE A LOTTERY WINNER

FUBAR
10-07-2010, 4:41 PM
XDM 45

Rekrab
10-07-2010, 4:43 PM
Well even though they can be gotten here in California it would be easier to get some registered in Missouri.

I'll have to think about that. When I go to put them in my name how will the California dealer know that they were registered as pistols?

There would be some record of it I assume or they would be marked as pistol lowers.

Also, while I've done a number of OpLaw transfers, I've never done one through an FFL, but when I did these transfers there was no FFL involved. My dad handed me the gun and all was well.

morrcarr67
10-07-2010, 5:31 PM
There would be some record of it I assume or they would be marked as pistol lowers.

Also, while I've done a number of OpLaw transfers, I've never done one through an FFL, but when I did these transfers there was no FFL involved. My dad handed me the gun and all was well.

But these are coming in from out of state.

Firearms Information for New California Residents

Handguns

Any person who moves into California and who brings any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is considered to be a "Personal Handgun Importer" and is required to do one of the following within 60 days:

* Complete and submit a NEW RESIDENT HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT form along with $19.00 to the Department of Justice. A separate report form and $19.00 fee is required for each handgun reported. NEW RESIDENT HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT forms can be obtained from California Department of Motor Vehicles' offices, licensed firearms dealers, local police and sheriff's departments, the California Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms at (916) 263-4887, and from the Online Forms Page at this site.
* Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California licensed firearms dealer or to another individual using a California licensed firearms dealer to conduct the transaction.

or
* Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California police or sheriff's department. Persons choosing this option should contact the law enforcement agency for instructions prior to transporting the handgun(s) to the agency.

Wouldn't the new resident transfer deal be what we would have to do even though she is my Mother>

morrcarr67
10-07-2010, 5:33 PM
WHAT ARE YOU THINKING !!!!!!!

Colt Python....Diamondback .22.....Series 70 Commander....Gold Cup......

THINK LIKE A LOTTERY WINNER

I would love all of these! Just being on a limited budget all of those are out of my; err, her price range. Only have about $500.00 to spend. I wish things were different.:(

gau17
10-07-2010, 5:33 PM
Sig 226 Black Water Tactical or whatever they call i now.

JanG
10-07-2010, 5:51 PM
judge, just because :D

Rekrab
10-08-2010, 1:40 AM
judge, just because :D

Assault weapon, can't have it.

smle-man
10-08-2010, 7:28 AM
When did the law requiring new CA residents to register handguns within 60 days start?

gorenut
10-08-2010, 7:38 AM
OK, several people have mentioned the CZ Phantom. What and why so special?

Its a polymer CZ. Ok, admittedly, we here in CA can't really take advantage of its magazine size... but my main attraction is the cost for getting such a quality firearm. CZ accuracy, polymer durability.