PDA

View Full Version : Marking/Labeling your magazine

RollingCode3
10-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Do you mark or label your magazine? All of my important or self defense mags get a number. I bought a pair of Sharpie silver pens at Target for $1.50 to mark my mags.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/cadetcode3/guns/photo-1.jpg

Packy14
10-06-2010, 10:46 PM
y? to know which are older?

maxmonster
10-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Yeah... I'm kind of puzzled...?

Turo
10-06-2010, 11:00 PM
I wish I had enough magazines to need to mark them...

But no, I don't. The only reason I can see for marking them is to remember if one has a problem or something.

JTROKS
10-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Yes I mark my mags. Just to let me know which one(s) needs my attention.

swifty
10-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Some shooters do this to keep track of malfunctions etc. with an individual mag.

joelogic
10-06-2010, 11:04 PM
You dont want to beat on your HD/SD mags so mark those so you dont mix them with your training mags or maybe you cycle your mags in your gun as not to wear them unevenly or maybe when you take a class/shoot a match you can ID your mags.

I dont bother. The HD/SD mags are the ones with HP's in them and match/training mags have ball.

daemonite
10-06-2010, 11:04 PM
I mark mine with a sakura solid paint pen, permanent until removed with alcohol.

i keep track of the use of my mags so I know when to replace springs or if certain mags will be designated to range only use.

RollingCode3
10-06-2010, 11:12 PM
y? to know which are older?

Number one reason: to keep track magazine's performance or failure rate.

Number two reason: When you attend training, shooters on your left or right is shooting the same handgun as you (especially GLOCK), the magazines could get mixed when retrieved. The last training I went to, we had almost 30 glock magazines on the floor after doing a speed reload... Good luck finding your mags. :eek:

HappyG
10-06-2010, 11:15 PM
I don't think I've ever had an issue with a factory mag..it's always been the cheap *** aftermarket ones that gave me troubles, which are all either sold or in the trash.

I can see how you'd need to know which ones are yours during group sessions and such, but not range mags IMO.

Packy14
10-06-2010, 11:32 PM
I could see putting a special mark on them to know they are mine if the risk of confusion was present... I can tell when a spring is worn, and if it malfunctions I would fix it immediately and definitely not have it be a HD mag. To each his own tho..if it works for you, it works for you.

586L-Frame
10-07-2010, 12:29 AM
I label all my mags with the pistol model id with a P-Touch labeler.
Then after I tag them onto the bottom of the mags, I coat them with
Clear fingernail polish.

To the OP, I like your Silver Sharpie id as well.
I'll add that to my mags as well.
Thanks, 586L-Frame

Fishslayer
10-07-2010, 6:24 AM
But no, I don't. The only reason I can see for marking them is to remember if one has a problem or something.

Exactly what I did when my new pistol was having "issues." I marked the mag each time I had a malf.

Otherwise, no. Two are loaded in the safe on zombie duty & two are empty in the range bag. Which ones? I dunno. All four go to the range & get used, then two get loaded when I get home.

hehe.... I WISH I had enough guns & mags to need to label 'em...

evidens83
10-07-2010, 6:34 AM
I've only done this to AR mags

NiteQwill
10-07-2010, 6:39 AM
Yes. You can track magazine.

Black Majik
10-07-2010, 6:58 AM
I also number my magazines to know whether a magazine is giving me particular problems. It's usually labelled with my initials followed by the magazine number. It also helps me keep track of all my magazines at the end of the day.

drunktank
10-07-2010, 7:06 AM
i mark them by the dates they were purchased/rebuilt. I like to replace/rebuild them every other year or so, depending on how much I shoot.

(they also get marked a, b, c, d, etc.)

orion5457
10-07-2010, 7:08 AM
I mark mine when they malfunction. If they get two marks they get pulled and rebuilt.

Oldnoob
10-07-2010, 7:16 AM
Lol, I too use the silver sharpie. It can be easily wipe off with any kind of gun cleaning oil.

There are tow mags I got in a pistol trade, the last own carved his name and number on the mags. When I found them, I was pissed (I check the gun when I trade, but didn't check the mags).

Grumpyoldretiredcop
10-07-2010, 7:37 AM
Yes, to track malfunctions and to readily distinguish between similar magazines (e.g., Glock mags). Whenever possible, I mark replaceable parts such as baseplates.

DaveFJ80
10-07-2010, 7:40 AM
I don't mark my Glock mags.... they all run flawless. I do separate the ones I have, from the new ones I save and the older ones I use often.

I did mark one of my 10rd CMC Power mags, since I have 4 of them and they're flakey in my Kimber... except for 1 mag, which is the one I marked and use for HD.

den888
10-07-2010, 8:19 AM
I mark them in pairs (A1, A2, B1, B2, etc) and use the markings to identify sets of magazines as I rotate the magazines out of my SD/HD pistol.

I use a Brother P Touch, which makes a nice thin label that attaches to the bottom of the magazine plate.

jimmykan
11-09-2010, 9:19 AM
Standard Sharpies use an ethanol based ink so most spirits, e.g. rubbing alcohol, gun scrubber, brake cleaner, even Macallan 18 y.o., will dissolve the markings.

There are also Industrial Sharpies, which use acetone based ink, and they will withstand the alcohol solvents, but acetone, brake cleaner, and just about any gun cleaning product (Hoppes, Breakfree, etc.) will still dissolve Industrial Sharpie marks.

I use a Dremel with an engraving bit to write on the polymer floor plates of my magazines. Cutting into the usually thin sheet metal of magazines might weaken them a bit, but I don't see 1/32"-deep grooves in the floor plates doing much harm. PMAGs, Glock mags, 10-round versions of SIG and Beretta mags, even "tactical" 1911 mags have a polymer bumper or floor plate, so it's a consistent place to make your mark. I usually draw a small symbol that I recognize to ID my mags from someone else's, and either dots, like the OP does, Roman numerals or Arabic numerals.

I keep one or two mags of each type loaded, and when feel like it's time to rotate, I know which loaded mag to unload, and which empty mag to load, e.g. if mag #2 and #3 are loaded, then I unload #2, and put those cartridges into #4. Next time, I'll unload #3, and put them into #5 (or #1 if I only have 4 of that type).

OCD? Maybe.

redcliff
11-09-2010, 9:58 AM
I use the paint sharpies on my 1911 magazines. I think marking magazines is very beneficial for the reasons stated above.

OneSevenDeuce
11-09-2010, 10:05 AM
I always mark my magazines.

duc748bip
11-09-2010, 11:22 AM
No i recognize them by their unique character wear and tear marks. :D On Glock i think you can put i dimple with solder iron and fill it with nail polish.. that will last longer then a sharpie.

duc748bip
11-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Standard Sharpies use an ethanol based ink so most spirits, e.g. rubbing alcohol, gun scrubber, brake cleaner, even Macallan 18 y.o., will dissolve the markings.

OCD? Maybe.

I love that fine oak aroma when firing a gun cleaned with Macallan 18Y :D

rudeboy3
11-09-2010, 11:26 AM
I mark the new ones I get with a label maker piece on the bottom. Like the new M&P mags I got I haven't had a chance to use them yet so I marked them for testing at the range.

jdg30
11-09-2010, 5:38 PM
I mark my magazines if I have more than a couple for a gun. I usually just melt dots in them with a soldering iron. The dots look clean and aren't obvious, but if needed, it's easy to identify the magazines. It makes it easy to keep track of them and also to identify which mags have any problems (haven't had any problems so far).

drunktank
11-09-2010, 5:57 PM
I'm going to paint the base plates on my low-cap mags pink once the Glock gets out of jail. I figure just in case the wifey uses/needs the guns when I'm not around, it'll be real easy to tell which ones are for her to use.

I tried labeling them with a p-touch labeler recently. Didn't turn out so well (the corners would catch and start to peel. Gonna stick with the colored sharpie.

Fate
11-09-2010, 7:35 PM
On my pistol mags I just use a white crayon/pencil/greasepencil to fill in one of the round marks on the side. So I'll fill in 4 on one, 5 on the next, 6, 7, etc.

AR mags get PTouch labeled.

chesterthehero
11-09-2010, 9:28 PM
i mark mine so i can flag them for issues as well as to tell them apart from others at the range

corrupt
11-09-2010, 9:49 PM
I mark mine to keep track of malfunctions if the jam looks like it may be magazine induced.