PDA

View Full Version : FNP9 and CZP01 feedback?

HPGunner
10-06-2010, 2:38 PM
Trying to decide on the these two 9mm or a Glock 19. All three feel great to me but would like some other opinions from people with experiences with them - Particularly the FNP-9 and CZ-P01 (not the SP01). I'm pretty familiar with the Glock but haven't found a place that has an FNP-9 or CZ-P01 to try out. I've shot a CZ-75 - is it similar to the P01?

I'm interested in a good, reliable, durable, and accurate compact 9mm with a rail.

Thanks in advance for your input.

germanlover
10-06-2010, 3:22 PM
I can only speak to the P01 as I own one. It has an alloy frame which makes it feel more substantial in the hand vs. a polymer gun and takes some of the recoil away IMO. Unless you're gonna use it as a CCW (and very few of us can in CA), the slightly extra weight should be mostly a positive in my view (I use mine for HD purposes).

I think others would agree when I say the grip holds about as well as any handgun I've ever handled. I have medium sized hands and it just is contoured perfectly to my mitts. I used to own a Walther P99 (polymer framed gun like glocks) and I shot the CZ much more accurately and I think it's largely due to having a bit more heft in my hands w/ the P01.

Ninja45
10-06-2010, 3:29 PM
I also have a PO1. Very accurate and very reliable pistol, in my opinion. The trigger pull is a little gritty at first, but it smooth out after about 300 rounds. I love the grip angle and did I mention, accurate and reliable?

Highly recommended!

nazgulnarsil
10-06-2010, 4:05 PM
with the fnx out the fnp seems to have dropped back to a reasonable price. fnp i tried had an excellent trigger. i strongly considered it but went with a sig pro because of the price difference.

oghl888
10-06-2010, 4:28 PM
The CZ75's beaver tail is thicker, contributing to a lower grip and more resistance to the top of the web (between thumb and index finger). The P01 has a thinner beaver tail, allowing a better higher grip.

P01 beaver tail is much closer (or the same) as the SP01.

ZX-10R
10-06-2010, 5:01 PM
FNP 9 is on my short list along with the Beretta 92FS/ M9A1 and SW MP9...I am leaning toward the Beretta, 2nd SW MP9, last is the FNP which I really like as well. Or were close for sure.

Turo
10-06-2010, 5:12 PM
My roommate just got a FNP9 and i got to mess with it a little bit. it shoots very well, points nice, and the grip fits my small-medium sized hands well. He had an issue with the magazine not dropping free (tried 3 different magazines with no difference.) We finally figured out that the grip is basically a rectangle (the cross section on the magwell) made of polymer with absolutely no reinforcement to keep it from warping it to a twisted square. He has to change his entire method of gripping the gun to release the magazine properly, one-handed.

I can only speak about the Glock 19 as i've never seen the CZ. All i can say about the Glock is that it's as good as any other Glock and it's a great gun.
Hope that helps!

Swoop
10-06-2010, 5:35 PM
Sig!

HPGunner
10-06-2010, 6:27 PM
We finally figured out that the grip is basically a rectangle (the cross section on the magwell) made of polymer with absolutely no reinforcement to keep it from warping it to a twisted square. He has to change his entire method of gripping the gun to release the magazine properly, one-handed.

Ok this comment is troubling to me. I'm pretty sure the Glock frame is all polymer too but it doesn't change it's shape when it's gripped. I've never come across other polymer pistols that have such soft plastic.

-1 for FNP.

HPGunner
10-06-2010, 6:39 PM
I love sig too and have a P228 but I want a rail on it to put a light on it for a HD gun in the office. I can't seem to justify $300 or $400 more for a gun that I don't shoot any better with. I'm going to give the CZ a try. I shot pretty well with the CZ-75 and liked the grip. I'm going to shop around for a CZP01 or SP01 to hold and handle. As for the Glock I'd probably eventually pick one up on private sale lat down the road someday.

Thanks for everyone's input.

HPGunner
10-06-2010, 6:44 PM
I guess the sig pro is in the same price range as these guns. Maybe even less.

85FourEyedGT
10-06-2010, 6:55 PM
im picking up my fnp9 tomorow, ill tell u how it shoots after saturday :)

smittty
10-06-2010, 6:58 PM
CZ P-01 here and love it! I had both the G19 and the P-01 and after many runs I found I shoot the CZ consistantly more accurately and quicker. The Glock was very nice though and you won't go wrong with either choice. I don't have experience with the FN.

Gary13
10-06-2010, 7:14 PM
I had a FNP9, liked it, but did not love it. I prefer metal framed handguns. I ended up selling it and now have a CZ SP01. I like CZ's. P01 is nice, but smaller than I like. Next handgun will be a CZ75 BD SA in 40.

pter
10-06-2010, 8:42 PM
Tried the CZ P01 last week. Absolutely loved it. I shot it along with the SR9c, and enjoyed the P01 much more.

Rhythm of Life
10-06-2010, 8:47 PM
If the P01 is anything like my SP01, get it. CZ makes good stuff man.

daemonite
10-06-2010, 11:06 PM
P.01 all the way!

fits my hand better then the SP-01 (which I LOVE)

Rhythm of Life
10-06-2010, 11:08 PM
fits my hand better then the SP-01 (which I LOVE)

When I threw some Hogue grips on it the feel changed a lot. Made it a lot more comfortable. My dad and brother both approved.

Just a thought.

Turo
10-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Ok this comment is troubling to me. I'm pretty sure the Glock frame is all polymer too but it doesn't change it's shape when it's gripped. I've never come across other polymer pistols that have such soft plastic.

-1 for FNP.

Yeah, the Glock frame is all polymer as well, but is reinforced by the back of the grip where it is rounded out and on the front with the finger grooves. The FNP kinda scared me when I looked at the mag well while holding it and it warped with very little force.

nazgulnarsil
10-07-2010, 5:27 AM
yeah i would drop the fnp from consideration if that is true. wouldn't consider the fnx because of the absolutely idiotic mag retention design.

sig pro can currently be had for $450 but turners might have them for $399 again. not as concealable as the p-01 or g19 though.

I would just buy whatever feels good in your hand (dry fire in da and sa)

Hollow Grind
10-07-2010, 7:19 AM
I have a P-01, fired roughly 4,000 rounds through it. Best purchase I've ever made!

SIGman Freud
10-07-2010, 2:22 PM
I'm so glad to read that people are very pleased with theor CZ P01 because I just picked minr up from the gun store! :) Can't wait to take it to the range and test it out! Range report to come in the near future, I hope.

I was going to buy the Sig Pro SP2022. So glad I didn't. For just a few $$ more I picked this one up. Better ergonomics, more solid build, and an excellent reputation. I have been hearing too much problems about the SP2022 with durability/reliability issues, that I simply couldn't buy one without thinking, "could THIS one be thr same as from that dreaded Turner's batch?" No thanks!

For what it's worth, I wouldn't discount or omit the FNP9 to the OP's options. Though the grip is described as "flexing" while being fired, it is a well-built gun made by a fine manufacturer that knows about military hardware. FN lightened up the polymer pistol, so one is said to feel every shot fired. The gun is lighter weight than even the G19, I believe. I have no doubt, however, that the pistol in 9mm will stand up to normal wear and use by most gun owners.

Besides---FN's all come with 3 magazines! :)

Notblake
10-08-2010, 12:03 AM
everyone that has ever shot my CZ has come away with the same impression.....

They make goood stuff man. When I take mine out I wonder why I ever lust after other handguns.

HCz
10-08-2010, 6:40 AM
I have all 3 and I'd recommend CZ P-01 or G19. For me FNP9 just lacked a bit compared to those two.

Ergonomics wise, FNP was good, but when it came own to actual shooting, FNP9 lacked something.

shooterdude
11-27-2010, 7:06 PM
I have both the CZ-75 and the CZ SP-01 and I love the 75 but I am in love with the SP-01! Everything the 75 does well the SP-01 does perfectly! The P-01 is nearly identical to the SP-01 except for the shorter barrel and slide. I have shot the P-01 but prefer the SP-01 because the extra weight on the front makes recoil a non event but it is still a pleasure on the shorter P-01.

You do need to get the CZ's a trigger job because they are gritty and creepy from the factory. After the trigger job these are PERFECT pistols.

Trying to decide on the these two 9mm or a Glock 19. All three feel great to me but would like some other opinions from people with experiences with them - Particularly the FNP-9 and CZ-P01 (not the SP01). I'm pretty familiar with the Glock but haven't found a place that has an FNP-9 or CZ-P01 to try out. I've shot a CZ-75 - is it similar to the P01?

I'm interested in a good, reliable, durable, and accurate compact 9mm with a rail.

Thanks in advance for your input.

PingPongBob
11-27-2010, 7:23 PM
I have a FNP-9 & a CZ 75-B. (Sorry not an SP01), But I like the CZ over the FN.

Nothing wrong with the FNP-9 (I'm keeping it), but I prefer metal handguns.

Oh yeah, before you Glock fans jump on me I have 2 M21s & 2 M19s.

So there!!!:D

santacruzstefan
11-27-2010, 7:36 PM
This thread is reassuring; I just DROS'd a P-01, and though I've never shot one (I have shot a full size 75, and it was amazing) just holding it in the store, it fit my hand better than almost any pistol I've ever held. The folks at CZ did something right with their design; don't know why other companies don't follow their lead, because that thing is something else. But, I suppose everyone's grip is different...

iareConfusE
11-27-2010, 8:06 PM
Just bought a P-01, even though I've never shot it. I've always wanted one after reading reviews on it and constantly staring at it while at the store. I can't say much about the P-01 at this point except that it's INSANELY comfortable, and I love the rubber grips that come with the stock pistol. It's compact, but I also like how it isn't too light. I prefer heavier guns than lighter guns. The fit seems solid and the gun as a whole feels extremely bomb proof.

I have shot and messed around with the FNP-9 enough to know that it too, is an excellent pistol, although it has it's problems. The polymer that the frame is made out of feels different than the polymer from other plastic handguns like the Glock or the M&P. It doesn't feel as high quality and feels a bit hollow and brittle, even though it probably isn't. The problem with the mag not dropping all the way out is that the mag release on the FNP is a bit of a pain to operate. In order for the mag to drop free of the frame, the button must be depressed all the way in, requiring you to break your grip quite a bit to press the button. If you don't break your grip and only press halfway (which is what you'l'l most likely end up doing), you can rip the mag out with your other hand, it just won't drop free.

The takedown and maintenance on the FNP is incredibly simple, just like with any other modern pistol, but you also don't have to deal with pulling the trigger before you can pull the slide off.

Bore axis on the FNP is a bit high, and felt recoil is noticeably larger than on other guns of the same caliber. It's a really snappy pistol, and will slip around in your hand unless you grip it tight. The finish on the polymer frame isn't conducive to a stationary grip, and the ergonomics aren't all that great for my hand (edges are too sharp and grip feels blocky, moreso than a Glock).

The trigger right out of the box is a bit heavy, especially in DA, but is smooth and has a break that doesn't feel like it splits the trigger pull into two stages. The decocking mechanism is a bit rough and loud, and isn't gradual and gentle like a Sig or the P-01. Instead of decocking halfway on the downstroke of the lever and fully decocking when the lever is raised back up, it drops the hammer very fast on the downstroke, almost as if to strike the firing pin - it's a bit unnerving at first.

After all that though, the FNP is still a great pistol, at least from my experience. It doesn't have a track record like the CZ pistols do, but I'm sure it would serve your purposes as well as the CZ would, or any other gun. I think it just comes down to which gun you think looks better, if that's important to you at all, and which is lighter if weight is an issue as well (Just remember you're comparing a full size FNP to a compact P-01). I'm sure both pistols are more accurate than the shooter will ever be.

My choice would be the P-01, just because of the way it looks, and the fit and finish of the gun. The CZ pistols have a certain rough and rugged look to them, and look like they'll stand up to any punishment. The FNP, while a beautiful gun just doesn't fit my hand as well, and I would actually be afraid of cracking the frame if I were to accidentally slam it on the ground if I fell. TL;DR - Just pick the one you think looks better.

greasem0nkey86
11-27-2010, 11:43 PM
A close friend of mine has a P01, or was it the SP01, regardless, I'm will shine a bit of perspective on the FNP9.

DROS'd one about 2 months or so ago, took a 3day defensive handgun class with DFT down in Coarsegold, CA, put about 750 or so down the pipe in the three days and never had a malfunction (wiped down and lubed during the evening). Only problem I HAD was one magazine out of the three in the case that it came with, stuck. That problem was alleviated after some use. I have small hands, so regardless of frame (XD, Glock, 1911), I have to break my grip to get to the mag release, but I did not feel like I was stretching to reach for it, and I'm using the bigger grip weld. On the contrary to iareConfusE, Glocks feel like a brick in my hands.
(going OT for a sec here: I took a one day defensive handgun class a couple of years ago and rented a G19, and three words sum it up: I HATED IT)

To address the concern of the polymer, I accidently dropped the pistol from about four feet up, onto the narrow edge (think very dull knife)of my lock cabinet, where the mag well is, has a small 1/8" crack on it. No, it did not give me any issues during the class.
The grip DOES slip after a couple of shots if you do not have a tight grip on the pistol, that was quickly solved by applying some grip/skateboard tape to the front and rear of the grip.

Double action trigger is a bit heavy, but thats what you want. Single is great, breaks crisp, doesn't feel vague at all, reset isn't TOO long, but would prefer a but shorter. The instructed handled my FNP and commented on the weight of it, and liked the trigger, moreso than Sig triggers.

I unfortunately do not have enough range time on the CZ to really have a solid opinion on it.

I suggest, like many others probably have already, to go handle both and see what fits in your hands the best.

FUBAR
11-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Three great choices you got there. Personally, I own the Glock G19 but those other two have been crossing my mind lately. I've heard the FNP has a real nice trigger. The Glock is lighter and great for a carry piece. The CZ has the best ergonomics of the three. You can't go wrong with either of them. Just go with the one that points the most naturally.

FUBAR
11-28-2010, 10:50 AM
After looking at all three, I gotta say get the CZ P-01.

DaveFJ80
11-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Depending on what use you want out of the gun, for me I liked the fact that Glocks don't have an exposed hammer. For what I use my G19 for, I'd rather not have a hammer than a FNP or CZ with an exposed hammer, but that's me.