PDA

View Full Version : fired a primer only cartridge for first time.

Porscheguy
10-06-2010, 1:41 PM
ejected a round of the gun at the house when showing someone the mechanics etc in prep for her first time shooting tomorrow. The round fell apart on ejection. gun powder and everything everywhere.

I decided out of curiousity to fire off the empty cartridge seeing as there was nothing but the primer left. man, I couldn't believe how loud it was for being just the primer.

Like a double loud capgun.

edit: Round fell apart because she was loading and reloading the magazine trying get strong enough to get through the last few rounds which are hard to put in. I think doing that with the same ten rounds over and over just warped the casings every time. I took some plyers and went to see how firm everything was and sure enough, almost every one was super loose so I replaced them all.

Ascout
10-06-2010, 2:02 PM
Primers are mini explosives and can definitely hurt you if not careful. Smack a couple with a hammer on concrete and you'll see what loud is.

Stacks of primers, like in auto primer feeds for reloading can cause nasty accidents, which is why I do this step manually.

Even given the repetitive magazine loading, those must be some lightly crimped rounds.

swifty
10-06-2010, 2:06 PM
Smack a couple with a hammer on concrete...

No, don't do that. No, really! Don't do that.

PsychGuy274
10-06-2010, 2:07 PM
I guess I'll be the first to say it...

It is generally not accepted to run live rounds (whether chambering or not). It's just not safe. Buy some snap caps and have a field day.

Porscheguy
10-06-2010, 2:09 PM
I guess I'll be the first to say it...

It is generally not accepted to run live rounds (whether chambering or not). It's just not safe. Buy some snap caps and have a field day.

I've done it twice in my life when not on the range and even then. for about ten seconds. So I fully agree even though I did do it.

Captain Crunch
10-06-2010, 2:14 PM
1) curiosity got the best of me when i was reloading and i fired a shell with a primer and it was loud and sparks came out , add a tiny bit of gunpowder and watch what happens.

2) This thread also reminds me of back in the day when people used to tape .22lr rds into straws , throw them straight up and run ....