PDA

View Full Version : Intra-familial transfer question

cmichini
10-06-2010, 12:33 PM
From what I gather, the intra-familial transfer is 'vertical' (father/mother - son/daughter and/or through grandparents, etc) event.

Does that apply for a father-in-law/son-in-law, or is it only BLOOD.

My father-in-law is in AZ. Would like to gift a couple of pistols (specifically non-roster) to me.

Can we do that directly or do we need to have him transfer to my wife and we do something (if I want it registered to me - which I think I do).

Thoughts/guidance.

Thanks in advance.

lear60man
10-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Mom/Dad to son/daughter. Gparent to Gkid and vice a versa. I think you might have to be legally adopted in the case of a step parent. But father in law to son in law is a no. You can have father in law gift it to your wife and then have her gift it to you. All done at your local FFL of choice.

Quiet
10-06-2010, 3:07 PM
Mom/Dad to son/daughter. Gparent to Gkid and vice a versa. I think you might have to be legally adopted in the case of a step parent. But father in law to son in law is a no. You can have father in law gift it to your wife and then have her gift it to you. All done at your local FFL of choice.
:iagree:

Your father-in-law ships it to a CA FFL dealer and transfers it to your wife.
After your wife does a 4473/DROS for the handgun and waits 10 days, your wife can then transfer the handgun to you.

cmichini
10-07-2010, 8:07 AM
Got it. It's in the BLOOD.

Thanks all for the info.

Another reason calguns is such a valuable resource.

cmichini
10-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Follow up question regarding need to use FFLs:

If my wife will be in AZ in a month or so, can her dad personally give it to her there, my wife imports it to CA by physically trasnporting it into the state and then we do PPT at an FFL to get DROS'd as private party transfer?

The main question is can the initial gift/transfer to my wife from her dad be done legally in AZ just face to face?
If she can legally receive it/them in AZ, then become a handgun importer to bring it in and before she'd be required to self-register we PPT it to me via CA FFL/DROS?

I'm trying to stay compliant, while expediting this and reducing administrative (CA DOJ) fees.

No one's answers will be considered legal advice. Thanks again.

ke6guj
10-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Follow up question regarding need to use FFLs:

If my wife will be in AZ in a month or so, can her dad personally give it to her there, my wife imports it to CA by physically trasnporting it into the state and then we do PPT at an FFL to get DROS'd as private party transfer?

The main question is can the initial gift/transfer to my wife from her dad be done legally in AZ just face to face?
If she can legally receive it/them in AZ, then become a handgun importer to bring it in and before she'd be required to self-register we PPT it to me via CA FFL/DROS?

I'm trying to stay compliant, while expediting this and reducing administrative (CA DOJ) fees.

No one's answers will be considered legal advice. Thanks again.

no, she can't. It is a federal crime for her father to physically give a firearm to a resident of a different state. It is also a federal crime for your wife to acquire a firearm in another state and transport it back to her home state. There is no federal intrafamily exemption for this. And there is no exemption for them to claim that she was going to bring it to a CA FFL to transfer it to her. her father needs to ship it to the CA FFL, or he can bring it to the CA FFL in person when he visits you guys.

Mssr. Eleganté
10-13-2010, 1:14 PM
...we PPT it to me via CA FFL/DROS?

And remember, once your wife has done the transfer from her father at a California FFL, the transfer from her to you does not require the use of an FFL or DROS. A husband and wife who are both California residents can transfer a handgun between them by using the Operation of Law form and paying $19.

kablooie
10-14-2010, 6:43 AM
not to hijack...

1) my father in law has a shotgun and lives in WA. We would need to use FFL to ship from WA to my wife in CA. Whats the ball park total cost (form fess and shipping) of this transfer?? (would her dad in WA have to pay any FFL fees too?)

2) does my wife have to have a license/permit to receive the gun?

cmichini
10-14-2010, 7:59 AM
no, she can't. It is a federal crime for her father to physically give a firearm to a resident of a different state. It is also a federal crime for your wife to acquire a firearm in another state and transport it back to her home state. There is no federal intrafamily exemption for this. And there is no exemption for them to claim that she was going to bring it to a CA FFL to transfer it to her. her father needs to ship it to the CA FFL, or he can bring it to the CA FFL in person when he visits you guys.

Got it. All aspects of the transfer between residents of different states need FFL to be kosher.

Thanks again!!

jtmkinsd
10-14-2010, 11:48 AM
not to hijack...

1) my father in law has a shotgun and lives in WA. We would need to use FFL to ship from WA to my wife in CA. Whats the ball park total cost (form fess and shipping) of this transfer?? (would her dad in WA have to pay any FFL fees too?)

2) does my wife have to have a license/permit to receive the gun?

Your father in law can box it and ship it himself to an FFL near you and your wife. All he needs to include is a legible copy of his state license/ID and an indication who it's for. Once it gets to the FFL you've chosen (make sure to call the FFL before he ships the gun to make sure they will receive it) she can do paperwork and start the 10 day wait.

Cost will be whatever it is to ship (he can ship a long gun US Postal Service, UPS, or Fed Ex Ground), and transfer/DROS fees at your FFL

She does not need any permits or licenses to DROS a long gun.