PDA

View Full Version : sig p6

leoffensive
10-05-2010, 8:20 PM
anyone have any knowledge about the old sig p6?

ive found some old german police trade ins.

tempdrummer
10-05-2010, 8:24 PM
What would you like to know? There's a wealth of knowledge on them and tons of calgunners including myself own them.

They range from excellent to ok condition. They are great and cheap pistols. Mags are expensive.

RANDO
10-05-2010, 8:29 PM
i got mine a few years ago for $250, they arent usually in the best condition but they clean up really well and they are pretty accurate

leoffensive
10-05-2010, 8:32 PM
What would you like to know? There's a wealth of knowledge on them and tons of calgunners including myself own them.

They range from excellent to ok condition. They are great and cheap pistols. Mags are expensive.

im just curious if they are known for the accuracy and reliability that i hear sig is famous for. ive always wanted a sig but cant afford the 800-900 price tag for the new ones.

the going rate ive seen these goin for on websites is about 350 atm. the store ive found these two are going for 475ish and are in good condition(im gonna use the websites to try and make him match the price) and dont seem to be used much and got some good ol holster wear and come with a shoulder holster and an extra mag.

ke6guj
10-05-2010, 8:40 PM
i got mine a few years ago for $250, they arent usually in the best condition but they clean up really well and they are pretty accurateyup, inthe $250-300 range, they were a great buy. But later import batches started going up in price, $350-400, where they weren't as good a buy. Still a nice gun, but not the bargain they were a couple years ago.

9mmepiphany
10-05-2010, 8:46 PM
the P6 is the LE version of the Sig 225.

my department issued the 225 in the academy and they offered outstanding accuracy and I never saw one experience a stoppage on the line.

the big difference between the 225 and the P6 is the notched hammer and the heavier mainspring that the German LEAs spec'ed. due to it's thicker grips the overall thickness of the P6 is about the same as the 228

leoffensive
10-05-2010, 8:55 PM
the P6 is the LE version of the Sig 225.

my department issued the 225 in the academy and they offered outstanding accuracy and I never saw one experience a stoppage on the line.

the big difference between the 225 and the P6 is the notched hammer and the heavier mainspring that the German LEAs spec'ed. due to it's thicker grips the overall thickness of the P6 is about the same as the 228

pretty neat. yea im pretty much set on buying this pistol. the moment i held it in my hand and lined up the sights at the target he had set up on the wall i basically instantly fell in love with the gun. it fit my hand even better than my 1911. if i cant bring this guy to match the price on the net im probably gonna go to my ffl and get one off of jg sales cause they had em for 100 bucks less.

JTROKS
10-05-2010, 9:08 PM
I got one and it's a reliable and accurate piece. I'm just not sure about the current rate they are going for.

Plisk
10-05-2010, 9:09 PM
You could always buy a new one.

Not many of you may know, but Sig recently did a bring-back of the old P225/P6s. German Police markings and even the multi-piece slides! We have one in stock here at Ade's. Come on by and check it out.

leoffensive
10-05-2010, 9:14 PM
You could always buy a new one.

Not many of you may know, but Sig recently did a bring-back of the old P225/P6s. German Police markings and even the multi-piece slides! We have one in stock here at Ade's. Come on by and check it out.

well that sounds enticing but i dont know if it would be worth the drive up to orange? how much you selling it for up there?

evidens83
10-05-2010, 9:47 PM
I always wanted one for a project gun. Never got to it and kinda regret it..

tempdrummer
10-05-2010, 9:47 PM
well that sounds enticing but i dont know if it would be worth the drive up to orange? how much you selling it for up there?

I just realized you were in SD. If you'd like to shoot mine you're more than welcome to (you just supply your ammo :p) I'd be happy to meet at the range so you can see if you like it. I think you'll love it. I got mine from a fellow calgunner and its in probably 90% condition and only cost me $350. Let me know.

leoffensive
10-05-2010, 10:16 PM
I just realized you were in SD. If you'd like to shoot mine you're more than welcome to (you just supply your ammo :p) I'd be happy to meet at the range so you can see if you like it. I think you'll love it. I got mine from a fellow calgunner and its in probably 90% condition and only cost me $350. Let me know.

yea perhaps we can work something out and do a meet half way?

tempdrummer
10-05-2010, 10:26 PM
yea perhaps we can work something out and do a meet half way?

Where do you usually shoot? I typically go to ASC in clairmont. The other "close" range to me would be the one discount gun range in Santee. Just don't laugh at my accuracy :D

GWbiker
10-05-2010, 11:26 PM
anyone have any knowledge about the old sig p6?

ive found some old german police trade ins.

West German Police P-6 should have build date stamped on slide and last three serial numbers on slide and on barrel. (Mine is build date 6/80)

Check frame rails carefully for excessive wear. SIG alloy frame are anodized and need GREASE to avoid excessive wear against the stamped steel slide. A link on SIG forums explains where to look for excess wear.

Early SIG P6 will feed easily FMJ ammo but may have FTF issues with JHP. The stock barrel chamber can be modified to fix that - about $40 or so. A new barrel (P225) if available will cost about $170.

Parts kits including springs are available at Top Gun Supply.

Figure anywhere from $350-400 for a good condition specimen on today's used gun market.

If your source also has West German Police holsters, look for a AKAH pancake holster made in Germany. Well made and very comfortable to wear OC. It will fit nearly every large frame SIG handgun.

With reasonable care a surplus P6 in good hands will last many years.

Slim///
10-06-2010, 3:12 AM
I have one and love it, never had issues with it. OP get it if you can get a good deal on it.

Anybody know where I can get the barrel modified so it can feed jhp ammo?

The Original Godfather
10-06-2010, 9:55 AM
P6 is the next SIG I'm getting (mainly because of the history of the gun), and the next gun I'm getting is a SIG ;)

thomasanelson
10-06-2010, 10:16 AM
I bought one a few years ago from Turner's. Luckily, I got to pick a very nice one with little wear. Before these P6 police trade-in were available the P225 was very desirable. There are many over at Sigforum that swear by them. I prefer the P228 or P226, but for the price the P6 is an excellent choice.

gti_20ae
10-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Not sure if you are in so cal, but if you are, according to the turners clearances last, they have used very good condition p225 for 299. They are about the same as p6, usually cost more too.

GWbiker
10-06-2010, 11:31 AM
I have one and love it, never had issues with it. OP get it if you can get a good deal on it.

Anybody know where I can get the barrel modified so it can feed jhp ammo?

Begin your search here -- http://www.sigforum.com/

paul0660
10-06-2010, 12:03 PM
and come with a shoulder holster and an extra mag. If it really comes with a German cop shoulder holster, that is a great extra. The half a cow belt holster most come with is worth about ten bucks.

daemonite
10-06-2010, 12:12 PM
My P6 is made in Dec 1983

I've fired 2000 rounds out of it since I bought it in the big group buy a few years back and it looks great still. I recieved it with some holster wear but it added character.

The trigger is heavy in double action, but there's a reason for that. The hammer springs is HEAVY duty, the primer of European ammo is harder and after switching to a lighter hammer spring for reduced trigger pull...I realized I couldn't set off the primers on my S&B ammo.

As for the barrel, my 1983 P6 has no issue feeding JHP from cor-bon jhp to the latest federal hst but at home I keep it loaded with Cor-Bon Pow'R'Ball since my walls at home are thin.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/6522/img0017tv.jpg

Mine came with the nice shoulder holster...not bad at all

sigfan91
10-06-2010, 3:35 PM
Buy it. Love it. Shoot it. Rinse and repeat.

I'd rather have these older German guns than the new fancy ones from Exeter.

Things you want to look out for:

1. Try to get one with import marks on the slide rather than the frame. I was lucky to get both of mine on the slide. Some have import marks on the frame. Yuck!

2. If you can, find one in mid to late 1980s. They have the revised feed ramp that's more accommodating to hollow points.

3. Check for frame rail wear. Most of them have very little wear on the frame rails, unlike P226 and P228.

4. Make sure the slide doesn't rattle on the frame. People say this really doesn't affect accuracy, but it just bothers me to hell.

A retired German police remarked on Sigforum that most of these pistols were carried a lot, racked a lot, but rarely shot. He said he shot 50 rounds a year to qualify and that was it. These P6s are the best bargain on the market. The only draw back is the expensive magazine. Horde them when you come across them.

leoffensive
10-06-2010, 4:15 PM
Buy it. Love it. Shoot it. Rinse and repeat.

I'd rather have these older German guns than the new fancy ones from Exeter.

Things you want to look out for:

1. Try to get one with import marks on the slide rather than the frame. I was lucky to get both of mine on the slide. Some have import marks on the frame. Yuck!

2. If you can, find one in mid to late 1980s. They have the revised feed ramp that's more accommodating to hollow points.

3. Check for frame rail wear. Most of them have very little wear on the frame rails, unlike P226 and P228.

4. Make sure the slide doesn't rattle on the frame. People say this really doesn't affect accuracy, but it just bothers me to hell.

A retired German police remarked on Sigforum that most of these pistols were carried a lot, racked a lot, but rarely shot. He said he shot 50 rounds a year to qualify and that was it. These P6s are the best bargain on the market. The only draw back is the expensive magazine. Horde them when you come across them.

+1 on the not shot a lot. haha when i looked these pistols they had a little holster wear and didnt show signs of being being fired very much

shoupdawg
10-06-2010, 7:27 PM
My P6 has NEVER once had an issue. I also have a W. German proofed 220 and a 226ST. I won't lie...I've had at least 1 FTF in the 220 and one in the 226st. Plus, I love the size of the P6. Just got a safariland holster for it and will use it for a course this weekend.

leoffensive
10-06-2010, 8:08 PM
My P6 has NEVER once had an issue. I also have a W. German proofed 220 and a 226ST. I won't lie...I've had at least 1 FTF in the 220 and one in the 226st. Plus, I love the size of the P6. Just got a safariland holster for it and will use it for a course this weekend.

yea man the size is what made me fall in love with it. i will buy a p6 for sure. haha it fit in my hand more comfortably than my 1911....:thumbsup:

daemonite
10-06-2010, 11:07 PM
yea man the size is what made me fall in love with it. i will buy a p6 for sure. haha it fit in my hand more comfortably than my 1911....:thumbsup:

You'll be a happy camper!

Slim///
10-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Begin your search here -- http://www.sigforum.com/They keep denying my email addresses for registration :(

GWbiker
10-07-2010, 11:40 AM
They keep denying my email addresses for registration :(

Begin here - http://www.customizedcreationz.com/

Then go to services, price list, then click on miss. services.

9mmepiphany
10-07-2010, 11:56 AM
They keep denying my email addresses for registration :(

you can't use Yahoo, Hotmail or GMail to register

radioburning
10-07-2010, 12:25 PM
The trigger pull is very heavy, and can be gritty. A lot of people suggest the 19 lb. hammer spring, which I'll be installing on mine soon.

ArkinDomino
10-07-2010, 12:50 PM
I had one and sold it here on CG really quick. Mine had a real beat up exterior but it shot perfectly well. I didn't care much for it seeing as I had just bought my Noveske and my Kimber so it didn't get much attention. Meh...

Gryff
10-07-2010, 1:22 PM
I picked one up 2-3 years back. Paid $340 out the door, and consider it a hell of a deal.

Mine had a fair amount of holster wear, but was mechanically perfect. Great gun to shoot, and I have zero complaints about accuracy. I've heard that they sometimes don't like modern self-defense JHP ammo, but mine hasn't choked on anything that I've fed it so far.

If I hadn't taken advantage of the deal back then, I would be kicking myself now. I asked my father-in-law if he wanted to get one, he said "no," and he still kicks himself on a regular basis for his decision.

All that being said, be careful about what you pay. I see them now show up at $350+ base price, and that doesn't seem like such a good deal. Maybe if you really want a Sig but can't afford one, then the price might be worth it. But that is starting to push the reasonable value of these given that they are police trade-ins (I choked when I saw one in the CGN marketplace for $450+ and BudsGunShop.com is trying to sell one for $580 (https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411542246)).

leoffensive
10-07-2010, 3:57 PM
Where do you usually shoot? I typically go to ASC in clairmont. The other "close" range to me would be the one discount gun range in Santee. Just don't laugh at my accuracy :D

id up for meetin at asc. i live super close to the santee range but asc is good. my neighbors brother owns that place.

dont worry about accuracy haha ive never considered myself a good shot. all that matters is that you dont completely miss the paper haha

loosewreck
10-07-2010, 5:08 PM
The P6 is a great pistol. Don't worry about the heavy trigger pull, it's an easy fix, just by changing the hammer spring. However, if you're LEO or a CCW holder, be aware that some P6s will not reliably chamber HP rounds, but that too is fixable. As others have suggested, read up about them at the Sigforum.

tonelar
10-07-2010, 5:23 PM
Just cause they were inexpensive when they first came on the scene - a lot of people balk at their current prices.
However, there are few handguns that are better shooters at double those original prices.