PDA

View Full Version : My face Kept getting hit with the Shell casing(Glock)

vincnet11
10-05-2010, 8:07 PM
I shot my Glock 21 at an outdoor range, it was cold and windy. Anyway, my face kept getting hit with the shell casing most of the time, it didn't hurt me or anything but its just annoying and I didn't want to crack my safety glasses. I used aluminum Blazer Ammo. I was doing the weaver stance, sometimes I was standing straight sometimes Im leading forward.

So is it the wind, the type of ammo, or just my stance?

Here's what I've noticed, on youtube Glock 21 shooters seem to use brass casing and the shell tends to fly towards the right, not to their face.

swifty
10-05-2010, 8:19 PM
Your stance is probably fine, I'm guessing you need a firmer two handed grip on the frame.

Honeydos
10-05-2010, 8:24 PM
You weren't firing "Gangsta Style" were you?:68:

sequoia_nomad
10-05-2010, 8:27 PM
If a case can crack your shooting glasses, you need to invest in better shooting glasses.

orangeusa
10-05-2010, 8:30 PM
Shoot with arms straight out. That under the leg stuff is dangerous..

hammerhands32
10-05-2010, 8:32 PM
Limp wrist. No not ghey just limp wristing. My Desert eagle used to do it to me

Droc101
10-05-2010, 8:37 PM
Grab it like you grab your... broom handle? hockeystick? Pool cue! thats it :)

silversix
10-05-2010, 8:44 PM
Extractor issues? Worth taking a look at.

Also, try different mags.

vincnet11
10-05-2010, 8:55 PM

Also, try different mags.No not really its a brand new Glock, probably has something to do with me, Im still a noob.:D

How about the wind, like I said?

jimrod
10-05-2010, 8:59 PM
My Glock 21SF and 34 throws spent shells to the right. Maybe it was the wind or the way you were gripping it.

silversix
10-05-2010, 9:05 PM
No not really its a brand new Glock, probably has something to do with me, Im still a noob.:D

How about the wind, like I said?

That's gotta be some heavy wind.

Ultimate
10-05-2010, 9:27 PM
Are you sure the shell casings weren't flying right and hitting the dividers then hitting your face?

If you are sure your ejector could be wrong or bent.

vincnet11
10-05-2010, 9:48 PM
Are you sure the shell casings weren't flying right and hitting the dividers then hitting your face?

If you are sure your ejector could be wrong or bent.Its random, sometimes to the left, sometimes over my head, sometimes it hits my safety glasses or forehead. Also Im using aluminum casing, is it too light it gets blown by the wind? Ok I forgot to tell you this I was shooting at Chabot Gun Club, its above the mountain so its windy.

JohnnyCrash
10-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Its random, sometimes to the left, sometimes over my head, sometimes it hits my safety glasses or forehead. Also Im using aluminum casing, is it too light it gets blown by the wind? Ok I forgot to tell you this I was shooting at Chabot Gun Club, its above the mountain so its windy.

Even with aluminum, you're dealing with a sprung out, non-aerodynamic casing...

IDK, have you shot it indoors? Are you a lefty/righty? How's your stance? Are you a short armed organism like say... a tyrannosaurus rex?

Greg-Dawg
10-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Take a class and learn how to shoot.

vincnet11
10-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Take a class and learn how to shoot.Where can I get a free shooting lesson?:D

vincnet11
10-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Even with aluminum, you're dealing with a sprung out, non-aerodynamic casing...

IDK, have you shot it indoors? Are you a lefty/righty? How's your stance? Are you a short armed organism like say... a tyrannosaurus rex?Not yet, righty,weaver(standing straight/sometimes leading forward),neither too short or too long. I forgot to tell you one time it also it my earmuff-right side. Ammo-Blazer aluminum 230 grain.

Masterdebater
10-05-2010, 10:39 PM

Also, try different mags.

i wish life was that easy, i lost my house my girlfriend and all my money in one day. the solution? try different mags. why does everyone recommend changing mags with glocks lmao

ride it out, change ur grip. like u said its new so maybe u gotta warm it up a little bit shoot shoot shoot!

Greg-Dawg
10-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Where can I get a free shooting lesson?:D

From uncle Joe, he'll also teach you how to reload with kaboom cartridges.

vincnet11
10-05-2010, 10:42 PM
i wish life was that easy, i lost my house my girlfriend and all my money in one day. the solution? try different mags. why does everyone recommend changing mags with glocks lmao

ride it out, change ur grip. like u said its new so maybe u gotta warm it up a little bit shoot shoot shoot!Ok Maybe its because its new the recoil spring is still hard? Or Maybe its my grip, I need to hold it a bit firmer. But I'll tell you in my experience the recoil is a bit unpleasant unlike what I've seen on youtube for the Glock 21.

sargenv
10-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Um.. wear a hat.. problem solved :)

vincnet11
10-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Um.. wear a hat.. problem solved :)Good advice will try that.:D

G-forceJunkie
10-05-2010, 11:19 PM
You need a better grip. Do you shoot with "high thumbs?" You really need to with a glock to fill up the backstrap with the web of your hand. If not, the gun wants to recoil to the left (right handed shooters.) This will aim the brass at your head. Watch this video, it has some good info about what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

nosuchagency
10-06-2010, 10:44 AM
pretty certain that's glock's new marketing slogan: you're gonn'a take hot brass in the face and like it...

ocspeedracer
10-06-2010, 10:52 AM
I really think it might be the extractor, every now and again a brand new perfect glock gets something wrong.

stphnman20
10-06-2010, 11:15 AM
It's your grip. Have a good firm grip on the Glock. What your experiencing is what's call "limp wrist"

E. Fudd
10-06-2010, 11:17 AM
If it continues to do this after a couple of hundred rounds break-in, the extractor may be too tight. I had this happen to one of mine and it was replaced under warranty. The work order just said "extractor too tight, replaced".

If you don't want to deal with the shipping, you might want to just have a replacement put in locally or by yourself.

Also, I've found if the extractor channel in the slide gets super crudded up, (like after thousands of rounds), the ejection pattern can change from over the shoulder to right between the eyes, telling you it's time to detail clean the slide... Disassembly of the extractor followed by a detailed cleaning of the slide cutout and the extractor itself solves that problem.

Not hard to do. Instructions and videos are online...

Shenaniguns
10-06-2010, 11:25 AM
You're limp wristing, lock your wrists.

vincnet11
10-06-2010, 3:29 PM
You're limp wristing, lock your wrists.So it must be the recoil that throws the shell to my face? The recoil was a bit unpleasant when I shot my G-21 so it must be my grip.

Oceanbob
10-06-2010, 3:47 PM
Extractors are cheap. But I would switch to some brass ammo and see if it still happens.
Blazer is underpowered and with a heavy recoil spring might have trouble getting out of
the barrel fast enough to gain momentum.

The recoil was unpleasant..?...dang..a .45 is a push not a snap. Get a box of Double Tap
and shoot 25 rounds. I'll bet those launch out of the chamber and land 6 feet to the right.

The more you shoot the less that .45 will kick. Welcome to GLOCK.

Bob

Bulleh
10-06-2010, 9:28 PM
Limp wrist? Idk just shooting ideas. I'm picking up a 21 in a few days, I'll let you know what happens.

orangeusa
10-06-2010, 10:10 PM

ride it out, change ur grip. like u said its new so maybe u gotta warm it up a little bit shoot shoot shoot!

Sorry about your probs #1, #2, #3 - but I agree that trying different mags usually don't fix gun issues. Same w/ Berettas. It's usually lubrication, or not having a firm grip. Same with all other semi-auto pistolas.

BamBam-31
10-06-2010, 10:14 PM
From what I've been told, it's a result of the angle on the face of the EJECTOR. In short, it's too perpendicular with the bore line. It needs to be angled a bit more towards the right (something you can do very lightly with a small file).

IIRC, I lightly filed my ejector, and it helped a lot. I still get some brass ejecting straight back, but it's not too bad. I do wear a cap. And I DEFINITELY don't limp wrist.

silversix
10-06-2010, 10:17 PM

Because I had the same exact problem with an 1911 once. shooter next to me suggested that I try different mags. I have no idea why it made a difference but it did. Problem went away.

Ultimate
10-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Its random, sometimes to the left, sometimes over my head, sometimes it hits my safety glasses or forehead. Also Im using aluminum casing, is it too light it gets blown by the wind? Ok I forgot to tell you this I was shooting at Chabot Gun Club, its above the mountain so its windy.

I think your ejector is bent. It is the little pointy part on the glocks frame when you take the slide off. Try chambering a dummy round and very slowly pull the slide back and observe where the ejector hits the spent casing. Also pull the slide off the frame and check the number on the ejector and cross reference with the glock part for your model. Glock has been known to accidentally use the wrong ejector.

It sounds like your ejector is just completely hitting the middle of the casing so when the slide moves back with the casing grabbed by the extractor it pushes it from the bottom making it flip up. The ejector should be hitting the casing on the lower left I believe.

vincnet11
10-07-2010, 2:06 AM
Limp wrist? Idk just shooting ideas. I'm picking up a 21 in a few days, I'll let you know what happens.This is how Im holding my gun. When Im shooting, my index finger around the trigger I wasn't pulling it using my fingertip like a pro. Note- this is not my hand on the pic but just an example on how I hold the gun.
http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/1911Grip.jpg

AlliedArmory
10-07-2010, 2:50 AM
My G34 did this same thing. I switched to different ammo and bam gone. Underpowered ammo makes it do this. The angle of the ejector will make it do this too.

vincnet11
10-07-2010, 3:20 AM
My G34 did this same thing. I switched to different ammo and bam gone. Underpowered ammo makes it do this. The angle of the ejector will make it do this too.Im hoping its the ammo and not the ejector. On youtube I saw guy shoot his Glock 21 I believe he was using winchester white box, his shells flew like 5 feet to the right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0s6YV0Di7M

Blazer aluminum casing fly towards or barely above my head. So it must be that Im using weak ammo or something. My dummy rounds eject to the right so I don't think there is anything wrong with my Glock's ejector.

Droc101
10-07-2010, 3:38 AM
That is a really cool pistol range

vincnet11
10-07-2010, 3:52 AM
Well I typed "Blazer aluminum" on youtube and I found this very interesting video on youtube. I think its not the gun, its the ammo because it can also happen to an XD45 with blazer.
:32
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-k0PP4VWa0

fennecfrank
10-07-2010, 6:21 AM
It's definitely the ammo.

This happened to me when I had my first handgun, a Glock 34. When I was using aluminum casing ammos, I got the casing hitting my face all the time. One even got stuck between my shooting glasses and my face. It literally burned my right eyebrow....

after i changed the ammo, no more........
I was using blazer ammo as well.

change the ammo. Brass is much better!

vincnet11
10-07-2010, 2:36 PM
It's definitely the ammo.

This happened to me when I had my first handgun, a Glock 34. When I was using aluminum casing ammos, I got the casing hitting my face all the time. One even got stuck between my shooting glasses and my face. It literally burned my right eyebrow....

after i changed the ammo, no more........
I was using blazer ammo as well.

change the ammo. Brass is much better!I bought blazer aluminum this is what they used to test fire my Glock, I thought it was the "safest"-"cheapest" ammo I could use, I didn't know the testers were cheap too.:D

Im probably gonna get the Remington UMC for my next practice, anyone else know if this is good?

Noah3683
10-07-2010, 3:04 PM
So it must be the recoil that throws the shell to my face? The recoil was a bit unpleasant when I shot my G-21 so it must be my grip.

The recoil shouldn't be that bad. You would probably find .40 much more unpleasant. As others said.... tighten your grip and lock your wrists. choke that SOB don't hold it like a person that finds guns repulsive ;) Also check out this thread. There are few good methods and videos discussed within

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=344777

Noah3683
10-07-2010, 3:07 PM
I bought blazer aluminum this is what they used to test fire my Glock, I thought it was the "safest"-"cheapest" ammo I could use, I didn't know the testers were cheap too.:D

Im probably gonna get the Remington UMC for my next practice, anyone else know if this is good?Just look for the Federal at Walmart. It shoots good, and will be the cheapest

ocspeedracer
10-07-2010, 3:09 PM
also, if you have normal or large sized hands and the recoil is unpleasant maybe you're not gripping the gun tightly enough?

dousan
10-07-2010, 4:13 PM
Glock 22 hit me in the head until I improved my grip
Shooting left handed (I'm a lefty) hit my shoulder as I improved and now I have no problems
Was a turn off to get a glock when I was shopping but now I know it was me, I'm thinking of picking one up
Right handed (what I shoot now-due to eyes) is no problems at all

fullrearview
10-07-2010, 4:22 PM
You just got GLOCK SLAPPED!:eek::D

huck
10-07-2010, 7:08 PM
This is how Im holding my gun. When Im shooting, my index finger around the trigger I wasn't pulling it using my fingertip like a pro. Note- this is not my hand on the pic but just an example on how I hold the gun.

First off, you need to clip your nails.

and from what I've seen, only old NRA instructors use the weaver stance.

loosewreck
10-07-2010, 7:21 PM
Are you a lefty?

loosewreck
10-07-2010, 7:36 PM
Reason I asked is because, some lefty 1911 shooters sometimes encounter this problem. Angling the pistol slightly to the right when you're shooting is the easiest fix. YMMV

vincnet11
10-07-2010, 8:36 PM
First off, you need to clip your nails.

and from what I've seen, only old NRA instructors use the weaver stance.Didn't you read the bold text.:D

mif_slim
10-07-2010, 8:44 PM
Yes I believe it was limp wrist.
My sister in law and my bro n law did the same thing. When ever we shoot the gun shoots fine until they shoot the same gun. When they do the brass hits their face. I noticed that and told them to hold it proper... Problem solved.

You can hold it right but not firm and you can still get brass in your face.

vincnet11
10-08-2010, 7:04 PM
Yes I believe it was limp wrist.
My sister in law and my bro n law did the same thing. When ever we shoot the gun shoots fine until they shoot the same gun. When they do the brass hits their face. I noticed that and told them to hold it proper... Problem solved.

You can hold it right but not firm and you can still get brass in your face.Limp wrist like this? http://forum.philboxing.com/images/smilies/lol_88.gifhttp://forum.philboxing.com/images/smilies/lol_88.gifhttp://forum.philboxing.com/images/smilies/lol_88.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh9T01Gu5Jk

She was lucky she didn't get hit but the shells were flying towards her.

ThePhantomGT
10-08-2010, 8:15 PM
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge spent shell casings:26:

evolixsurf
10-08-2010, 9:04 PM
these guns are designed to use brass. get rid of the aluminum and 99% sure your problem will be solved. Let us know!

vincnet11
10-08-2010, 9:10 PM
these guns are designed to use brass. get rid of the aluminum and 99% sure your problem will be solved. Let us know!I bought the same ammo they used to test fire my Glock.(Blazer aluminum)

chim-chim7
10-09-2010, 5:43 AM
I shoot Blazer aluminum out of my Glock all the time. Never had a problem with vertical ejection. Brass and aluminum eject the same distance in my pistol. When my wife shoots my Springfield XD45 I notice that the brass comes back at her sometimes, but never with me. I am going to agree with the others about a limp wrist. Have someone else shoot your gun. See if the problem persists. What city are you in? I could meet you at the range for a demonstration. I am in San Diego.

vincnet11
10-12-2010, 9:45 PM
I shoot Blazer aluminum out of my Glock all the time. Never had a problem with vertical ejection. Brass and aluminum eject the same distance in my pistol. When my wife shoots my Springfield XD45 I notice that the brass comes back at her sometimes, but never with me. I am going to agree with the others about a limp wrist. Have someone else shoot your gun. See if the problem persists. What city are you in? I could meet you at the range for a demonstration. I am in San Diego.Update, I shot my Glock with a PMC brass 230 gr and its no longer hitting my face.:D

silversix
10-12-2010, 10:02 PM
It's normal, quit being a wimp.

Just kidding.

tiko
10-12-2010, 10:04 PM
I agreed with BAM BAM, you should try to file lightly your ejector, I did on my SP GI 1911, good result, 45 degree to the right now (4 o'clock)

vincnet11
10-12-2010, 10:53 PM
I agreed with BAM BAM, you should try to file lightly your ejector, I did on my SP GI 1911, good result, 45 degree to the right now (4 o'clock)No nothing wrong with the ejector after shooting brass.
BcNCZ-oRgyQ

G-forceJunkie
10-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Your flinching/anticipating the shots bad, thats why they are all low and left. Do you have a .22 pistol you can use/rent/borrow? They are fantastic on working on the fundamentals. A hard hitting .45 is about the worse. It just takes practice!