PDA

View Full Version : Benelli M1 Super 90

omtay606
05-30-2006, 9:38 PM
I just finish reading the California Firearms Laws 2006 from the CA DOJ Firearms division and didn't find any mention of the Benelli M1 Super 90 semi-automatic shotgun. Can I still buy this shotgun in CA? I want one with a pistol grip and ghost rings. Are there any special registration requirements? Thanks in advance for your replies!!

Josh
05-30-2006, 9:54 PM
I just finish reading the California Firearms Laws 2006 from the CA DOJ Firearms division and didn't find any mention of the Benelli M1 Super 90 semi-automatic shotgun. Can I still buy this shotgun in CA? I want one with a pistol grip and ghost rings. Are there any special registration requirements? Thanks in advance for your replies!!

nothing special for it, theres one sitting im my safe.

VeryCoolCat
05-30-2006, 10:52 PM
A semiautomatic shotgun having both of the following:
▪ a folding or telescoping stock;
▪ a pistol grip protruding conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, a thumbhole stock, or a vertical handgrip.

A semiautomatic shotgun with the ability to accept detachable magazines;

Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

Basically states.

Only semi-auto shotguns that can take detachable magazines
A Pistrol Grip/thumbhole stock shotgun that ALSO HAS a folding stock.

The revolving cylinder shotguns are mostly ancient so there arent many of anyways.

The state's law is the same as the ATF's law on how long a shotgun has to be.

rorschach
05-31-2006, 1:17 AM
Turners had them on sale about 2 weeks ago for 850. Regular price is 900.

They werent M1 Tactical, but they had a pistol grips, 18 inch barrels with a funky muzzle brake at the end. Kinda like a breaching muzzle.

Fatcat
06-03-2006, 10:28 PM
There's one available at the Norwalk Turner's as of this past Friday. I personally would look for an M1 S90 "Field" model. That barrel with the funky break is not threaded for chokes. That's where the field models have more versatility. Get an M1 if you can find one. The ribs are beefier on an M1 vs. the M2. The Comforfit stocks on the M2 aren't worth a damn. Just IMO, others will dispute - you have to try both models.

Dr. T
06-04-2006, 12:14 AM
Had the chance to shoot one recently, it was the best way of putting a lot of lead out there fast that I have seen. Recoil is very manageable. Haven't used Benelli's Comfortech stock, so can't comment. I did compare the M1 Super90 with a Remy 870 with Knoxx SpecOps stock. More recoil on the Benelli, but I shot it a lot better, and that' what would count.

omtay606
06-04-2006, 8:55 AM
Question re: Mag extension, I have heard that it is illegal to have a mag extension (7 shot capacity) on this shotgun but I've seen newer remingtons currently for sale with a pistol grip and a 7 shot tube? I asked the guy that worked at the gun shop and he had no idea? Any thoughts?

Josh
06-04-2006, 12:33 PM
benelli's are imported and thus subject the 89 import restrictions, they need to meet certain sporting requirements.

remingtons are made domestically and dont have those restrictions.

Its the reason ak and fal builders need to be aware of their imported parts count when building from a kit.

GW
06-20-2006, 1:49 AM
IIRC The mag extension issue only applies if you have pistol grips
If you go with the standard stock the extended mag tube is not an issue

50 Freak
06-20-2006, 2:05 AM
I love my M3

gose
06-20-2006, 11:12 PM
IIRC The mag extension issue only applies if you have pistol grips
If you go with the standard stock the extended mag tube is not an issue

Nope, putting a folding/telescoping stock OR a mag extension on an imported Benelli is a violation of federal import regulations and there is a letter from ATF saying just that.

I've posted the actual letter here earlier, a search should find it.

Yes, a lot of people still use the extension, but that doesnt make it legal....

ryang
06-21-2006, 7:51 AM
Nope, putting a folding/telescoping stock OR a mag extension on an imported Benelli is a violation of federal import regulations and there is a letter from ATF saying just that.

I've posted the actual letter here earlier, a search should find it.

Yes, a lot of people still use the extension, but that doesnt make it legal....I found your post, but I'm not sure of the following:
1. When was that enacted?
2. Does it retroactively apply to M1S90s purchased prior to enactment date?

gose
06-21-2006, 9:21 AM
I found your post, but I'm not sure of the following:
1. When was that enacted?
2. Does it retroactively apply to M1S90s purchased prior to enactment date?

Since the shotguns should be under the same non-sporting import restrictions as semi-autos, it was enacted in -89. However, Benelli imported and sold shotguns with the extension after that date and how the rules apply to those I don't know. I think the letter is a year old or so, which is about when Benelli stopped selling extensions and added the limiter to new imports, so at least its clear that its a violation to replace the mag tube on a new rifle.
When it comes to the shotguns that Benelli sold between those dates, I have no idea and I think no one else has either, so if you want an answer to this, you have to contact ATF.

Hunter
06-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Actually the clause for non-sporting rifles (922(r)) took effect November 1990. So the section on shotguns would not have been any earlier. In addition, M3 Benellis were imported (via H&K) and sold with folder and extension mags in 1992. So the ATF still considered them "sporting shotguns" then. I think the ATF stance that the Benelli with the pistol grip was not a sporting shotgun happened the summer of 1994 as that is when they (H&K) stopped importing the M1/M3s with pistol grips and extended mags (but that just could have been in prep for the 9/94 AW ban). In the end it all boils down to what ATF considers sporting or not. In the last few years there has been a change in hunting guns and many now are marketing the same type of pistol grips once only found on the Benelli, as turkey and deer guns in semi-autos. On top of that, there are many places to hunt birds/deer that do not limit one to 3 rnds. So having an extended mag is also considered sporting for certain seasons.

On the poster saying a barrel of 22" is not sporting, well I would disagree. Maybe an 18" barrel as my son's 11-87 youth model from remington and my upland game gun from Browning both came with 22" barrels.

Hunter
06-21-2006, 11:37 AM
Ok,
I found the recent ATF letter (see link). Now while reading this letter (which is directed at the M1014/M4 ) it appears that the ATF counts a total of 11 banned parts that include the magazine follower, buttstock and pistolgrip. So putting on an aftermarket US made follower (cheap) or buttstock or folder and pistol grip would allow you to have more than 5 rnds since it only would have 10 or less banned parts. Thus it will no longer fall under the 922(r) ruling. Californina laws would still need to be followed for folders/pistol grips.

Now the question: Does the ATF view the M1 shotgun in the same light as the M1014/M4 shotgun? I ask as the M1 is a sporting shotgun that is available in a tactical model. Where the M1014 is only a tactical shotgun from the go. Another question for the ATF branch.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=200567

gose
06-21-2006, 11:37 AM
Actually the clause for non-sporting rifles (922(r)) took effect November 1990. So the section on shotguns would not have been any earlier. In addition, M3 Benellis were imported (via H&K) and sold with folder and extension mags in 1992. So the ATF still considered them "sporting shotguns" then. I think the ATF stance that the Benelli with the pistol grip was not a sporting shotgun happened the summer of 1994 as that is when they (H&K) stopped importing the M1/M3s with pistol grips and extended mags (but that just could have been in prep for the 9/94 AW ban). In the end it all boils down to what ATF considers sporting or not. In the last few years there has been a change in hunting guns and many now are marketing the same type of pistol grips once only found on the Benelli, as turkey and deer guns in semi-autos. On top of that, there are many places to hunt birds/deer that do not limit one to 3 rnds. So having an extended mag is also considered sporting for certain seasons.

On the poster saying a barrel of 22" is not sporting, well I would disagree. Maybe an 18" barrel as my son's 11-87 youth model from remington and my upland game gun from Browning both came with 22" barrels.

Was the pistolgrip ever an issue? I thought it was only folders and mag extensions?

Hunter
06-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Was the pistolgrip ever an issue? I thought it was only folders and mag extensions?

Ok,
I looked up what 18 USC considers banned from importation and it states any of the semi-auto assault weapons of which includes :

a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of --
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of
the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

So it seems it is a combination of the items still.

gose
06-21-2006, 11:59 AM
Ok,
I found the recent ATF letter (see link). Now while reading this letter (which is directed at the M1014/M4 ) it appears that the ATF counts a total of 11 banned parts that include the magazine follower, buttstock and pistolgrip. So putting on an aftermarket US made follower (cheap) or buttstock or folder and pistol grip would allow you to have more than 5 rnds since it only would have 10 or less banned parts. Thus it will no longer fall under the 922(r) ruling. Californina laws would still need to be followed for folders/pistol grips.

Now the question: Does the ATF view the M1 shotgun in the same light as the M1014/M4 shotgun? I ask as the M1 is a sporting shotgun that is available in a tactical model. Where the M1014 is only a tactical shotgun from the go. Another question for the ATF branch.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=200567

Wow, that second letter was news to me... So you only need to replace one part to be in compliance. Hammers, magazine bodies, followers or triggers shouldn't take too much effort to produce in the US. Interesting, I think I might have to get a M4 after all...

Hunter
06-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Wow, that second letter was news to me... So you only need to replace one part to be in compliance. Hammers, magazine bodies, followers or triggers shouldn't take too much effort to produce in the US. Interesting, I think I might have to get a M4 after all...

I would think any 12 ga follower (Rem 870, ect) would work and that is all that would be needed.

gose
06-21-2006, 12:15 PM
Surefire fore end and a high visibility shell follower and you're under 10.

Don't see why it shouldn't apply to the M1 S 90 Tactical as well.

Hmm, does 'no more than 10' mean <= 10 or < 10?