PDA

View Full Version : Android is number one OS among US phone buyers over the last six months

JDay
10-05-2010, 2:44 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/10/10x1005oun234aandroid.jpg

BlackBerry OS? Dead! iOS? Dead! Symbian? Never stood a chance. Android's exponential growth has today been illustrated by Nielsen's statisticians who present us with the above chart of recent US smartphone purchases. It shows that over the six months leading up to August 2010, 32 percent of American new phone buyers had grabbed themselves a device with Google's OS on board, which is comfortably ahead of RIM at 26 percent and Apple at 25 percent. These results corroborate NPD's figures on the matter -- which peg Android at 33 percent of new US purchases -- and reiterate the idea that Android is headed to a place whose name starts with D and ends with omination. One more chart showing total market share can be found after the break (hint: BlackBerry still reigns supreme overall).

dchang0
10-05-2010, 2:55 PM
Not too surprising, since Android is free to the handset makers. And because iOS is closed to any other handset makers, what choice do any of the makers other than RIM and Apple have? Windows Mobile is expensive and crappy, and Symbian has no real app developer base.

I switched from an iPhone to an Android phone and am never going back.

Exile Machine
10-05-2010, 3:00 PM
My next smart phone will be an Android. I was an apple kool-aid drinker evangelista for 17 years. Dumped Mac OS X for Ubuntu back in '05 and never looked back. Will not voluntarily place myself in Steve Jobs' reality distortion field ever again.

The Motorola R2D2 Droid looks interesting...

-Mark

odysseus
10-05-2010, 4:03 PM
Just bought a couple of Android phones myself. More ticks on that metric. Great phones BTW for the money.

Apple's iPhone is a good product, but not perfect nor best for the price - especially currently with ATT (but Verizon's data plans at $30/mnth added for unlimited are nothing to sing about either when they get the iPhone).

Apple will continue to lose market share as they are not able to turn around and innovate a better product as fast to the market as the more diverse Android producer's competition is right now. The iPhone is a closed loop product, and sure - it is best for "technical-averse" people whom want a "smart phone". I don't have a big problem with it, just I get a better deal and product (in my eyes) with my Androids.

sfwdiy
10-05-2010, 9:30 PM
My next smart phone will be an Android. I was an apple kool-aid drinker evangelista for 17 years. Dumped Mac OS X for Ubuntu back in '05 and never looked back. Will not voluntarily place myself in Steve Jobs' reality distortion field ever again.

The Motorola R2D2 Droid looks interesting...

-Mark

I still run OS X as my primary OS and will continue to do so, but my Droid Incredible beats the crap out of the various iPhones I've owned. Android is SOLID.

--B

dadoody
01-02-2011, 2:45 PM
My old phone was BlackBerry. I hated it.

Droid 2 is decent. I don't like Apple, so didn't even consider an iPhone.

http://www.newgadget.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/smartphone-users-723x1024.jpg

dw33b
01-02-2011, 2:50 PM
That comic is great! I've got an iPhone as a personal and a blackberry as a company phone... but I want an Android phone. I'm a mess!

ocabj
01-02-2011, 3:31 PM
I've been on the iPhone for the better part of 3 years and I don't anticipate switching.

I see that Android devices are great for consumers, but from what I've personally experienced as far as getting into mobile development, Android sucks for those actually trying to monetize app sales.

There was a story about the Angry Birds' developers which iterate my opinions (and my colleagues opinions) regarding Android App Sales: http://technmarketing.com/iphone/peter-vesterbacka-maker-of-angry-birds-talks-about-the-birds-apple-android-nokia-and-palmhp/

It's actually a bit frustrating from the developer's standpoint.

I do hope Google evolves the Android Marketplace ecosystem soon, because Android will hold a very good size of the smartphone market share due to their model (licensing the Android OS, ala Microsoft Windows for home computers) and from a developer standpoint, monetizing that market share will be key.

People like to talk about open source and free software. But I'm a Republican and I want to make money off my software.

Baconator
01-02-2011, 6:47 PM
I had a blackberry for years at work before opting for an EVO, which I hated and then an Epic, which I also hate. Just went back to my Blackberry and don't anticipate switching any time soon.

safewaysecurity
01-02-2011, 7:08 PM
From EVO Android. Can't stand Apple. That comic is so damn accurate.

FreedomIsNotFree
01-02-2011, 7:47 PM
Apple does a great job with their hardware/software integration...no doubt. The trade off is the closed OS. Android, with an open OS has a much tougher job with the integration, but Google is making huge strides in a rapid fashion.

Personally, I use Android and can't see using iOS anything due to the limitations and control Apple exerts. Not happy about the locked boot loaders that Motorola has introduced as of late. If that trend continues, Android will lose it's openness.

lorax3
01-02-2011, 7:50 PM
My old phone was BlackBerry. I hated it.

Droid 2 is decent. I don't like Apple, so didn't even consider an iPhone.

Haha. I like how the Apple "fanboy" depiction in the top right is basically a female version of my avatar. :D