PDA

View Full Version : .45 Shotgun loads - CA legal...?

DannyInSoCal
10-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Wanted to buy a Taurus Judge for home defense but it's not on the DOJ list.

Is it off list because of the .410 loads it can shoot?

Found these for my .45 : http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=653594

Are they CA legal...?

Thanx, DISC

nn3453
10-05-2010, 11:34 AM
The Judge is a SBS. It is not just off list, it is just not legal, even for exempt individuals. A handgun that is approved by the manufacturer to shoot shotgun shells is a SBS and illegal in this state, plain and simple. A shotshell is not a shotgun shell. Those are legal.

1911Luvr
10-05-2010, 11:36 AM
If you are looking at shotshells for home defense, I would suggest an alternative solution. Shotshells are better suited to shooting snakes or rodents at close range rather than stopping someone intent on doing you harm. If your idea was using shotshells to avoid over penetration through walls in your home, you would be best served using Glazer Safety Slugs. Glasers provide maximum energy transfer while keeping the rest of your family safe from stray bullets.

sevensix2x51
10-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Thank god the judge is illegal. Those things are ugly as hell. If you want something totally lopsided and front heavy, get you a colt's dragoon! I use a katana if I want to avoid overpenetration. Mwa ha ha...

Droc101
10-05-2010, 11:47 AM
The Judge is a SBS. It is not just off list, it is just not legal, even for exempt individuals. A handgun that is approved by the manufacturer to shoot shotgun shells is a SBS and illegal in this state, plain and simple. A shotshell is not a shotgun shell. Those are legal.

How is it considered a SBS? It is a 45lc revolver capable of accepting .410 shells. It wasnt made from a shotgun and then modified down to under legal limit.

CPC12020, Article 2: (c)(1) As used in this section, a "short-barreled shotgun" means any of the following:
(A) A firearm which is designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell and having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length.
(B) A firearm which has an overall length of less than 26 inches and which is designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell.
(C) Any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if that weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length.
(D) Any device which may be readily restored to fire a fixed shotgun shell which, when so restored, is a device defined in subparagraphs (A) to (C) inclusive.
(E) Any part, or combination of parts, designed and intended to convert a device into a device defined in subparagraphs (A) to (C) inclusive, or any combination of parts from which a device defined in subparagraphs (A) to (C), inclusive, can be readily assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person."

ke6guj
10-05-2010, 11:57 AM
How is it considered a SBS? It is a 45lc revolver capable of accepting .410 shells. It wasnt made from a shotgun and then modified down to under legal limit.it doesn't have to be be made from a shotgun to be an SBS under CA law.

12020(c)(1) As used in this section, a "short-barreled shotgun" means any of the following:
(A) A firearm which is designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell and having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length.
(B) A firearm which has an overall length of less than 26 inches and which is designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell.
(C) Any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if that weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length.
(D) Any device which may be readily restored to fire a fixed shotgun shell which, when so restored, is a device defined in subparagraphs (A) to (C) inclusive.
(E) Any part, or combination of parts, designed and intended to convert a device into a device defined in subparagraphs (A) to (C) inclusive, or any combination of parts from which a device defined in subparagraphs (A) to (C), inclusive, can be readily assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

12020(c)(A-B) cover the judge. That language is not in the federal SBS regs, so federally, in order to be an SBS, it must first have been a shotgun. CA law doesn't require that it be a shotgun first.

Swoop
10-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Judge is not all it's cracked up to be anyways. Shot shells in a 45 often do not cycle well from what ive been told.

sniper4usmc
10-05-2010, 12:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FUmOaaZW1E

judge,but in rifle config

ke6guj
10-05-2010, 12:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FUmOaaZW1E

judge,but in rifle config

illegal in CA as well because it is a shotgun AW.

hammerhands32
10-05-2010, 12:03 PM
I read an article about "Duke" Venturino (I think) loading multiple blackpowder balls into 45lc shells. Interesting stuff

Found it online
http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMGPublications/AmericanHandgunner/AHSO10/?Page=43

it takes a second to load so be patient

quig
10-05-2010, 1:07 PM
Here is my report on the shotshells.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=305006

DannyInSoCal
10-05-2010, 3:20 PM

Kool - Thanx for the report.

Guess I'll stick with the incendiaries for home defense then...

:43:

MasterYong
10-05-2010, 3:27 PM
I had read somewhere on CalGuns that by putting shotshells in a handgun you were "somehow" manufacturing an SBS.

Is that not correct?

odysseus
10-05-2010, 3:28 PM

Yeah, that looks like it would just pepper annoyance against a human aggressor.

WTSGDYBBR
10-05-2010, 3:34 PM
Funny how you cannot have a short barrel shotgun but you can shoot a clip of snake shots whats the differences ?

CSACANNONEER
10-05-2010, 3:39 PM
I have not had much luck with shotsells in a semi auto. They tend to make the gun into a single shot and the cases tend to jam in many chambers. However, I do take a lot of rattlers with .38 special shotshells which I load myself.

CSACANNONEER
10-05-2010, 3:41 PM
Funny how you cannot have a short barrel shotgun but you can shoot a clip of snake shots whats the differences ?

Shotshells are not shotgun shells.

WTSGDYBBR
10-05-2010, 3:50 PM
It depends on the brand i can cycle CCI out of my sig P220S believe it or not.

I have not had much luck with shotsells in a semi auto. They tend to make the gun into a single shot and the cases tend to jam in many chambers. However, I do take a lot of rattlers with .38 special shotshells which I load myself.

CSACANNONEER
10-05-2010, 3:55 PM
It depends on the brand i can cycle CCI out of my sig P220S believe it or not.

I've only used CCIs in semis. However, all of mine (old) had pastic shot cups. I've never tried any of the ones like the one pictured. They (CCI) may have improved them. Of course, I'm too cheep to buy them now. I can reload .38s and .44mags for about 10-15 cents each, less if I go old school and don't use plastic shot cups.

rromeo
10-05-2010, 5:11 PM
Judge is not all it's cracked up to be anyways. Shot shells in a 45 often do not cycle well from what ive been told.

I agree with your first statement, but your second has me confused.

morfeeis
10-05-2010, 7:19 PM
illegal in CA as well because it is a shotgun AW.
sometimes this "state" just pisses me off so much......