PDA

View Full Version : Excel password recovery (Excel 2003)

Diabolus
10-05-2010, 8:57 AM
I have a legitimate reason to recover a password on an Excel 2003 document. It's password protected when attempting to open the file.

I'd rather find a free program to do this, but I am willing to pay as well, but there are so many out there I don't know which one will work.

Anyone know, or have experience with this?

Much appreciated.

sfwdiy
10-05-2010, 9:04 PM
I like a challenge. How sensitive is the data? Is it something you'd be comfortable emailing me?

--B

WTSGDYBBR
10-05-2010, 9:29 PM
http://www.petri.co.il/excel-password-recovery.htm

blakdawg
10-05-2010, 10:53 PM
I haven't used their Excel program, but I have used software from Elcomsoft (www.elcomsoft.com) and it did what it was supposed to do, and they didn't do anything evil with my credit card number.

Diabolus
10-06-2010, 6:04 PM
The data is confidential so I cant forward it to anyone. Good news is I found a recovery program, bad news is it has been running for two days solid now =)

I'll keep everyone posted on how it turns out and thanks for the help!!

Corbin Dallas
10-12-2010, 7:34 PM
Did you get this working? I think I might still have an excel password bypass in my server somewhere.

badandy
10-13-2010, 3:56 AM
do it the easy, and instant way... open it with Open Office, free download and install... Awesome office solution, save it as .ODS ( I believe doc spreadsheet), remove protection for each sheet of the file, or file as a whole, and then save back to MS extension, xls/xlsx... done.

It is for this reason... I will never protect sensitive data in a Microsoft product. Open source software is the way to go.

zeus45c
10-13-2010, 9:12 AM
I had a similar problem and used the following macro within excel. It gave me a pass within five minutes.

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html

ExtremeX
10-13-2010, 9:43 AM
I haven't used their Excel program, but I have used software from Elcomsoft (www.elcomsoft.com) and it did what it was supposed to do, and they didn't do anything evil with my credit card number.

+1

Elcomsoft is the way to go. Good company.

They also support GPU acceleration / CUDA.

snypr
10-21-2010, 8:04 AM
+1 on elcom