PDA

View Full Version : Springfield emp owners "Please Advise"

Gun Nerd
10-05-2010, 7:58 AM
Well I'm looking to purchase a new firearm for ccw. I've had g26,xd9sc,p250sc,kahr p9, now I'm thinking of an emp in 9mm.

What I would like to know is how they shoot and feel in hand, and more importantly how do they do when feeding jhp ammo??? I hear they have some problems and that's the only thing holding me back...

Please advise thanks

nazgulnarsil
10-05-2010, 8:17 AM
what did you dislike about the p9?

johnny_22
10-05-2010, 8:25 AM
Love the way it shoots. Feels great in the hand. Controls where my smallish hands can reach them easily. The wood grips and the stainless steel makes for a very attractive firearm.

The only concern is you can't limp wrist it. Have a good firm grip and you are fine.

I don't use JHP ammo for SD (EFMJ for all my SD guns). So, no comment on that.

MIDWAY USA had a sale on magazines for the EMP 9mm just last month (I stocked up).

Gun Nerd
10-05-2010, 8:36 AM
It was very thin, and when I shot it hurt my hand really bad!! It was cutting the skin on my thumb knuckle I want to say "great gun but not for my small hands"

Are we talking limb wrist like a glock problem?? I don't plan on shooting with two fingers, but is it really sensitive to that??

dfletcher
10-05-2010, 8:36 AM
I haven't had any problems shooting JHPs through it although I tend to use Hornady TAP. I did have, as have a few others, a problem with the gun requiring repair by Springfield. Short version is under certain circumstances the primer can flow into and plug the firing pin hole in the breech face. I sent the gun to Springfield, they acknowledged the problem and made a fix that eliminated the problem - basically switched the titanium firing pin for steel which, since that's one of the "not same as 1911" parts, couldn't be had from an on line vendor. This and a lighter firing pin spring have eliminated the problem for me and others I've read, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Although the smaller frame & grip area may seem minor it does make a difference. I have large hands and long fingers, using a two hand hold the gun is pretty much swallowed up. I replaced the ambi safety with a single sided Nighthawk because the paddle is higher and the finish matches exactly, my hands and very high hold habit had the off side paddle getting in the way.

BTW, there's a fellow on the 1911 forum who replaces the plastic bumper with a flush finish floor plate - I think it's a much better choice than having 1/4" plastic bumper hanging off the magazine. He does excellent work, looks all factory. IIRC his name on the 1911 forum is Logman.

johnny_22
10-05-2010, 8:43 AM
I was very thin and when I shot I hurt my hand really bad!! It was cutting the skin on my thumb knuckle I want to say "great gun but not for my small hands"

Are we talking limb wrist like a glock problem?? I don't plan on shooting with two fingers, but is it really sensitive to that??

Too much flex in my wrist. My niece, who had only taken First Steps before shooting the EMP, shot it perfectly, so, the problem is me, not the gun.

zman
10-05-2010, 9:06 AM
I just started the break-in on my new one last Sunday. I was making one raggedy hole at 10 yards. A fellow shooter recognized I had the EMP and he asked if he could shoot it. On his first shot, he was aiming for a 14"x14" steel plate out to 75 yards. HE HIT IT! :) (6 of 9 actually)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/zandrolouie/Guns/DSCN2694.jpg

rudeboy3
10-05-2010, 10:40 AM
EMPs dont come in all stainless do they?

9mmepiphany
10-05-2010, 2:22 PM
I've been very happy with mine and it has not problems feeding hollowpoints (127gr +P+)

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/9mmepiphany/DSC_1676.jpg

or shooting them into a cluster at 7 yards

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/9mmepiphany/DSC_1719.jpg

it is about the same size as my Kahr CW9

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/9mmepiphany/DSC_1646.jpg

EMPs dont come in all stainless do they?
the .40 models come with a steel frame, but it isn't on the roster

SpringfieldEMP
10-05-2010, 2:29 PM
I love mine. Shoots great and looks awesome.
My only complaint is that the ejector is not secured in place with a pin. It is just secured with Loc-Tite. (sp?)
Mine is working loose. I will send it back to SA and have them drill and pin the ejector.

7anthony7
10-05-2010, 5:30 PM
I have owned mine for a few years now and have about 1500 rounds down it. Never any issues ever. No failure to feed, eject, etc. When you buy the gun you can purchase extra mags from the factory at a reduced price. (At least I was). I have had a Kahr and had nothing but problems and am not a fan of any of their guns. A guy I work with had an issue with 147 gr and sent it back to Springfield who polished it up and now feeds fine. I have used everything from 117 to 147 jhp and ball. Never any problems.

plan-b
10-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Mine feeds Speer Gold Dots and Winchester Rangers fine. I have some older Winchester Super X 147gr subsonic hollowpoints that wont feed in it. Haven't tried other hollowpoints yet.

Gun Nerd
10-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Well thanks guys for all the advise I picked mine up from gunbroker today !!!!

Any suggestions on a place to get grips for it and a good clip on holster ???

johnny_22
10-06-2010, 9:02 AM
I got the kit, that included the Kydex holster and double mag pouch.