PDA

View Full Version : OLD article from LA Chief of Police Davis

stealthmode
05-29-2006, 12:13 AM
this is an interesting clipping I found dont know what paper it was or when it was written I think in the 70's. dont know if it belongs in general discussion or legal so i put it here.

chris
05-29-2006, 12:31 AM
great article of a by gone era of responsibility. but today political careers trump civil rights all the time especially here. this was once the great state of california. i wish we could have it back.

that statement has been said over and over again but the politicos disagree.

stealthmode
05-29-2006, 10:42 AM
i think i remember the guy dying just a month or so ago. too bad.

Charliegone
05-29-2006, 11:34 AM
We will have it back. One day people will realize that these so called "for the people" politicos are full of it and will demand change. It happened before and will happen again.

Oldtimer
05-30-2006, 6:05 AM
"Crazy" Ed Davis was my first boss when I joined the LAPD. He was from the "old school", but he had learned from the best....Chief William H. Parker. His "Crazy" tag was due to the way he handled the Watts riot, back in 1965. When the riot started, the Governor was out-of-state, so Davis contacted the Lt Governor, requesting that the National Guard be deployed to Los Angeles. The Lt Governor (don't recall who it was) told Davis that he wanted to see the situation first-hand, and would take a flight to L.A.

The Lt Governor DID get on a plane, but he made a "side-trip" to Hawaii before going to L.A.! When Davis heard that, he gave the order that looters would be shot! By the time the Lt Governor got around to sending in the National Guard, the LAPD had been able to keep the riot region relatively small, and the riot was almost over! I may be mistaken, but the story is that when the Lt Governor learned about the "shoot looters" order, he looked at Davis and asked, "Are you CRAZY?"

Davis' "Crazy" tag was also used when he jokingly said that there should be guillotines at the airport, for "instant justice" of skyjackers! He was also called "Crazy" when he was overheard telling someone that the LAPD needed a submarine!

The only negative that I had about Davis was that he wouldn't authorize short-sleeve uniform shirts for officers. He was worried about some officers who had tatoos on their arms! When Darryl Gates was promoted to Chief, one of the first things he did was to authorize the short-sleeve uniform shirts! Before that, the long-sleeve uniform shirts could only be unbuttoned and rolled up one roll...if the temp was over 90 degrees!