PDA

View Full Version : Rosomond (AV) cleanup

Grim_Reaper_1
10-01-2010, 6:49 PM
:( If anyone reads this from the AV. I clean up the range just north of rosamond and could use some help. I am not the only shooter there but it seams that i am the only one cleaning up, sure there are guys who police there brass so thay can reload it but all the thousand of steel cartridge casings and shotgun shells not to mention the old TV sets and garbage that people bring to shoot as targets but then leave them behind is just out of control. People pick up everything you brought with you, that will be a big start all by its self. I am only one man and can only do so much before it turns into a garbage dump.

wAray
10-01-2010, 7:50 PM
Hey Grim Reaper, i have not actually shot at Rattlesnake Rd. but let me know when you are going back so i can help clean up that place. There are other CGNr's here who would be willing to do that, i bet.

dr_communist
10-02-2010, 2:13 AM
i just went shooting there today. a re loader picked up my brass and i brought my freon can back, but i do agree it gets pretty bad out there.

skymasteres
10-08-2010, 1:32 PM
Well heck, If I can find out where this is I'll help clean up...

professionalcoyotehunter
10-08-2010, 1:34 PM
I live about 20 mins from there and can help if I have time. also it is Rosamond.:D

wsmc27
10-08-2010, 3:07 PM
Well heck, If I can find out where this is I'll help clean up...

:iagree:

I'll be up at the track in November for a couple days...might have some extra time for shooting and clean up.

WHERE IS this range?? Like off of Backus...or where?

TIA!

professionalcoyotehunter
10-08-2010, 3:12 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=91355&daddr=34.892654,+-118.185446&hl=en&geocode=FV2DDQIdEnDu-CkPpehtpYDCgDHx_G9oPLgVQQ%3BFW5rFAIdGqL0-A&gl=us&mra=ls&sll=34.89269,-118.186347&sspn=0.006371,0.013937&ie=UTF8&ll=35.063163,-118.148346&spn=0.406911,0.891953&t=h&z=11

The big hill to the left is the backdrop.

jpparker88
10-08-2010, 5:15 PM
Never been there myself. But it's in my neck of the woods. I hope I can find it

tomdick
12-20-2010, 10:51 PM
great...........

professionalcoyotehunter
12-21-2010, 8:18 AM
So when is the cleanup?

tcd511
12-21-2010, 8:45 AM
count me in. just let me know a date a nd time. Not exactly sure where it is but im in Lancaster so it cant be that far.

Lost.monkey
12-21-2010, 9:34 AM
I've got some folks here that shoot out there, we'd love to help after the holidays (and definately when the rain quits). Most of us have trucks and strong backs, let's get this coordinated and done!

RangeIsHot
12-21-2010, 10:10 AM
I won't be back until after January 3rd, but I'd definately like to help.

chewy352
12-23-2010, 4:54 AM
I might be in if funds allow in Jan. I need to get up there again before Quail season ends.

chewy352
01-10-2011, 8:45 AM
I'll be up that way this weekend if someone want to set this up.

Dapflig
01-27-2011, 1:04 PM
Just shot out there for the first time a couple weeks ago, was pretty amazed how bad it was. We cleaned up after ourselves a picked up our general area. It seems it is going to be an ongoing problem, does anyone have any experience in ways to decrease this.

Does anyone know who owns the land? Maybe we can get permission to setup some semi-permanent or permanent targets. Maybe metal plates, spinners, etc. to hopefully decrease the urge of others to bring things for targets and leave them.

madmax10
02-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Let me know when, i am more than willing to help out.

PhoenixFury03
02-09-2011, 8:10 PM
Just shot out there for the first time a couple weeks ago, was pretty amazed how bad it was. We cleaned up after ourselves a picked up our general area. It seems it is going to be an ongoing problem, does anyone have any experience in ways to decrease this.

Does anyone know who owns the land? Maybe we can get permission to setup some semi-permanent or permanent targets. Maybe metal plates, spinners, etc. to hopefully decrease the urge of others to bring things for targets and leave them.

Both the mine and the area at the hill is owned by the same guy. The owner of Karl's Hardware in Rosamond is on pretty good terms with him. There have been a few complaints since I was last down there, and had some nitwit fire over the hill from the other side and it went through the driver side fender and bumper. Eric, the owner of Karl's Hardware had the roof of his mother's house embedded with bullets. There was talk of building a fence around the property but personally I don't see that happening. Swing bu Karl's if you want to pick up some ammo and ask about the guy who owns that area.

John Haberman
04-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Good place to shoot. Flat for the most part and wide open.
The only way we're going to be able to keep it open is by the people who use it to clean up after yourselves.
If your going to use the area you might want to bring out a couple of trash bags, garden rake and the maginet on the stick for the removal of some of the steel casings!
All help in these matters is appreciated..Thx John
P.S
I have a feeling that it's not the Cal Gunners that are leaving the big items out there, but the other people who use it..need I say more.....

GSwain
05-03-2011, 8:44 PM
If I head up there i'll definately be bringing some trash bags and a rake or two, plus volunteers. I'd like to take my girlfriend's family somewhere that isnt very busy to get them more comfortable with firearm saftey and firearms, think this would be an appropriate place? Or does it get busy on weekends?

Tom Slick
05-03-2011, 9:48 PM
Sorry this is off-topic but anyone ever stumble upon the secret test range that's west and slightly north of Rosamond? plug 34.928239,-118.532549 into google maps to see it.

justMike
05-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Yes, I would say it can get busy on Sundays anyway, but people come and go all day.
There are a couple of places slightly off to the South and West right close by to shoot there in addition to the 'main' shooting area.

Kokopelli
06-20-2011, 6:06 AM
I know this is an old thread but if anyone ever plans a cleanup and shoot at the subject location, let me know.

Me and my sons have gone there and always pack out trash when we leave. If we don't keep the place clean, it will be another AV site that is lost to us.

G-forceJunkie
06-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Interesting. The X's across the runways indicate they are no longer in use. I have an aeronautical sectional chart of the area, it does show a couple of private airstrips in the general area.Sorry this is off-topic but anyone ever stumble upon the secret test range that's west and slightly north of Rosamond? plug 34.928239,-118.532549 into google maps to see it.

Lost.monkey
07-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Ladies & Gents,

Headed out there today (July 4th), and "Keep Out - Private Property" signs were staked along the firing line. To boot, the local LEO chased us off.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Jawbone is only 30 minutes away.

Kokopelli
07-05-2011, 5:33 AM
Ladies & Gents,

Headed out there today (July 4th), and "Keep Out - Private Property" signs were staked along the firing line. To boot, the local LEO chased us off.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Jawbone is only 30 minutes away.

What Rosamond area? I was out there from 7AM to 8:30 with two of my sons. Two other shooter showed up as we were leaving.

Thomas1190
07-05-2011, 9:28 PM
Ahh man! I was planning on going out there this weekend :(

Well crap, where are there other places to shoot in the AV?

Lost.monkey
07-07-2011, 7:10 AM
What Rosamond area? I was out there from 7AM to 8:30 with two of my sons. Two other shooter showed up as we were leaving. We were north of 60th west and Sweetser.

Out past the mine on rattlesnake road (first turn past the 14 exit on Rosamond Blvd, head out and take a left at the big tire). From what the LEO said, people have been complaining of roof/auto impacts over the backdrop.

The last few trips I made out there there were a TON of "substandard" shooters out there, some of which trying to kill clays with AR's and AK's. No real surprise rounds have been making it over to the residential area.

Blk04SR
07-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Well now thats a bummer, now I have to find a new spot...

Datdarkness
07-15-2011, 1:26 PM
ahhhhh.... any other places nearby :/

animal661
07-17-2011, 9:28 PM
well I havent talked to anyone, except an LEO. yet but all may not be lost
The problem stems from trash, Illegal weapons and explosives
The area was set on fire 3 times this last month
3? cows were killed up there
If we use this area then we need to take care of it
I am going to try and talk with the owner but I will need real help from others here

we need to put together a REAL cleanup and get all that we can involved
tractors, trucks, trash dumpsters and a lot of people
we also need people to say something if thay are witness to the BS that is causing the problem

Let me know who's in
Thanks
Kelly

Decoligny
07-18-2011, 11:21 AM
I spoke with the owner the other day. This area was never set up by the owner as an open to the public range. It was just an area on his own land where he took his kids to shoot .22s

As far as "3 cows" being killed, as far as I know there are no cattle in the area. If anyone killed any cows, then they brought them out there to execute them, or it was a BBQ gone very wrong.

There are several issues that will keep this area posted as "No Trespassing".

The area has become a gang-banger/idiot magnet. The owner has seen individuals driving along the firing line shooting at targets, basically practicing "drive-by" shooting. There have also been several incidents reported of fully automatic weapons being used on the property.

His mother's house has been hit by rounds being shot over the hill at least three times.

People are hauling thier trash out there to use as targets, and leaving the shot up garbage there.

People are using Tannerite and also duct taping lit road flares to full propane tanks for the explosions.

The major issue is one of legal liability. All it would take is one idiot shooting another idiot and the land owner would be held responsible.

The "No Trespassing" signs show that at least due vigilance was taken to prevent anyone from being on the land in the first place. Anyone hurt on the land will be guilty of trespassing, which will hopefully mitigate any lawsuits.

Our best bet is to stay on public land (BLM) were we can shoot legally and not put a fellow firearms owner and local businessman at risk.

If you want to organize a volunteer clean-up effort, please coordinate it with, and get written permission from the property owner. He can be located through Karl's Hardware in Rosamond.

xSoCALx
07-18-2011, 2:20 PM
I don't have a truck but I do have a pair of hands that can help clean up!

Datdarkness
07-18-2011, 8:10 PM
maybe calguns can work out a deal with the owner?? set up some cheap fence and such, locks, ect..

Thomas1190
07-18-2011, 9:44 PM
Im in for the cleanup too. I have a truck as well as an 18 ft. utility trailor if needed. It would be nice if we can set an agreement with the owner so only Calguns members will be allowed on site.

animal661
07-19-2011, 2:26 AM
I was out there when 1 of the cows was rotting away so I personally can verify at least that one
The comment about 3 came from the LEO that I talked to.
I was planning to talk to the owner - he is out of Karls until Tuesday ( sunday and monday off)
I will be over there tomorrow and will let everyone know what I find out

animal661
07-19-2011, 3:10 AM
BTW:
"If you want to organize a volunteer clean-up effort, please coordinate it with, and get written permission from the property owner. He can be located through Karl's Hardware in Rosamond"

Thats what my message said in the first place

Blk04SR
07-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Anyone talk to the owner about a clean up? Let us all know, there is a good amount of people who are more than willing to help...I live in LA but im in for sure, if I dont have work...

jjmat3
07-27-2011, 6:28 PM
Im in to help if the timing is right.

GunJournalist
08-09-2011, 12:49 PM
it's actually a really big area, it's full of shotgun hulls, steel casings and .22 casings. i've even found some 30-06 re loadable casings up there, like a whole lot just in a neat pile (i grabbed those) i have video of my dad, brother, and i shooting there, here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDJpuBH4ReA

yes i am a bottle shooter, sorry >_<

but anyway. I'm willing to help clean up the mess i've contributed to. i'll gladly help out if there's a big range clean up.

to get there you have to go north from Rosamond on this little road if you're heading west on Rosamond boulevard it's off of Rosamond boulevard just after the over pass and just before the Albertson's it's a right hand turn. follow that road all the way up behind Rosamond hill until you see a dirt road with a big tire next to it. the tire supports a sign that says "Big Iron Mine" follow that dirt road about a mile west and you should come to the hill we were shooting at.

morfeeis
08-09-2011, 6:08 PM
I'm game for a Sunday clean up, just let me know.

Thomas1190
08-09-2011, 8:50 PM
I cant Sunday, im workin all day.

Totally off topic, about your signature, but I love the ladies at Safe Space Shooting! I have done a couple ffl transfers there. Really nice, super cool people.

BearsZx72
08-10-2011, 9:26 AM
I too have been out there many times. I'm down with helping clean up Rattlesnake Rd. Set up the date and time with Eric at Karl's and I'll be there with my truck and a trailer! :)

jpparker88
08-10-2011, 1:20 PM
I'm down for whenever. Just post something and I'll be there. I'll see if I can borrow the truck from my dad to get out there.

morfeeis
08-12-2011, 10:11 AM
I cant Sunday, im workin all day.

Totally off topic, about your signature, but I love the ladies at Safe Space Shooting! I have done a couple ffl transfers there. Really nice, super cool people.
had it not been for those ladies i might not have ever gotten back in the sport, they are freaking wonderful. have you been to their new shop?

Has anyone got in touch with the owner to start setting up a date?

Thomas1190
08-12-2011, 10:22 PM
There were two guys on the first page that were going to get in touch with the property owner. Havent heard anything yet on a big clean up date. Hopefully we can get something going soon. Maybe a big cleanup will influence the owner to open it back up. Now if we could just keep the idiotic shooters away from the area.

had it not been for those ladies i might not have ever gotten back in the sport, they are freaking wonderful. have you been to their new shop?
Their new shop on 6th St. West is really nice. I have been in a couple times since they moved. Its got to be the nicest FFL business i have ever been in, clean, organized and very professional.

animal661
08-13-2011, 3:51 AM
everytime I get overthere ha is out
Will try again today

calmedic
08-13-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm local, if someone puts something together pm me and ill be there.

morfeeis
08-13-2011, 8:23 PM
everytime I get overthere ha is out
Will try again today
From what i read on the first page he takes Sunday and Mondays off but i may have misread it.....

smokeless
08-16-2011, 11:13 AM
I was out there sunday and was informed by the loe and a man in a white truck that the hole area was closed. I thank all the #$@($&% fine gun toting folks!!!! that said , Im now retired, if I can help let me know:. I was the old guy in the white 4runner. I to saw the cow remains , it was no BARBE Q Brice

MultiCaliber
08-16-2011, 4:35 PM
Out past the mine on rattlesnake road (first turn past the 14 exit on Rosamond Blvd, head out and take a left at the big tire). From what the LEO said, people have been complaining of roof/auto impacts over the backdrop.

The last few trips I made out there there were a TON of "substandard" shooters out there, some of which trying to kill clays with AR's and AK's. No real surprise rounds have been making it over to the residential area.

Wait a minute, you're saying there were people stupid enough to try shooting at airborne clays with rifles?????

And knowing there were houses on the other side of the hill? Better yet -not- knowing, just as bad or worse, what was on the other side.

If that's what you mean, then all I can do is :facepalm:

animal661
08-28-2011, 8:32 AM
OK - I had a long talk with the owner and...

IT IS NOT GOOD

People are still leaving trash, blowing stuff up and even shooting up his signs

He said that he just finished replacing the "NO TRESPASSING" signs after they have been shot up.
He has had to put more than 30 of these "new" signs up

The 3 fires were very costly

His Moms house was hit 3 times

Illegal weapons fired out there

Animal carcases left to rot

This is private land - NOT BLM

It is bad enough that, not only are LEO's out there, there is talk of not allowing any shooting in Kern County at all

Because of this any shooting is Illegal and people will be fined

The small area around the corner is off limits also. I was out there about a week ago and it is nothing but trash too

I asked about doing a clean up and it is a no go at present - here's whats up

2 people promised to do this before - nothing happened
They expected HIM to pay for the trash dumpsters and haul off ?????
They NEVER showed up to do it

He did say that he would think about it and let me know

Between the idiots coming out there and broken promises we are dead in the water - for now

Sorry everyone - I did try

Fate
08-28-2011, 11:41 AM
http://theirontriangle.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/pogo-enemy-791213.jpg?w=210&h=320

Kokopelli
08-28-2011, 2:41 PM
Very sad. I remember a great place off of Mount Emma road. I think it was called Hunt Canyon. Slobs left trash everywhere and the place was permanently shut down.

Where I go now is not looking good, either. People shoot glass, old microwave ovens and leave their trash everywhere. I always clean up after myself AND pack out other people's junk when I leave but, it's an uphill struggle. There is always more each time I go. My Hunter Safety instructor drilled it into my head back in the 1980's....

"A GOOD OUTDOORSMAN ALWAYS LEAVES THE PLACE CLEANER THAN HE FOUND IT."

Maybe that should be printed on every box of ammo.

oakland1067
08-28-2011, 3:10 PM
People leaving trash, blowing stuff up, shooting up signs, fires, fools shooting at structures, houses, blindly in the air, Illegal weapons fired out there, Animal carcasses left to rot. All seem to be a symptom of how people are today and I see this every where. A lot of good hunting areas are closed because of this. Just look around Lancaster, Antelope Valley or any where in the desert and you'll see the same things. Trash, things shot up, burned cars, land scorched, bullet holes in street signs. The problems will persist, even if access is denied. Those that selfishly disobey the laws will continue. It's happening every where. We really need to step up and be our brother’s keeper to put a stop to this.

morfeeis
08-30-2011, 11:26 AM

IT IS NOT GOOD

He said that he just finished replacing the "NO TRESPASSING" signs after they have been shot up.

It is bad enough that, not only are LEO's out there, there is talk of not allowing any shooting in Kern County at all

The small area around the corner is off limits also. I was out there about a week ago and it is nothing but trash too

Between the idiots coming out there and broken promises we are dead in the water - for now

Well that sucks, but thanks for going the extra mile. if indeed he decides to let us do a clean up let me know as long as it's on a Sunday i'm game to help .

Blk04SR
09-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Well keep us updated, if the timing is right I am all in to help clean up even if we cant shoot there at all, people leaving all kinds of trash is not right...

IT IS NOT GOOD

roncrown
09-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Let me know. If i can get the day off more then willing to help out.

mydogsmonkey
09-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Yeah this place seriously needs helps. who seriously does this?
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/315916_214762178588541_100001642826141_600557_8158 40744_n.jpg
yes, its a dead cow or something
and yeah, theres like 8 hooves in there

SPIT
04-16-2012, 5:05 PM
Well, I'm glad (sic) I looked here before treking out there this weekend. At least I have some pictures from when it was more of a family friendly place.
It's looking more and more like retirement includes moving to AZ.