PDA

View Full Version : Camping in Sierra Nevada - Target shooting?

byteheed
05-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Greetings,

I'm going camping for a few days in National Forest land just south of the Yosemite Nat'l Park border. I know there are no firearms permitted within the parks, hence why I'm camping outside. Are there any places to target shoot in the area? It's Nat'l Forest land, so can I shoot anywhere, so long as it's safe and according to the standard guidelines (150yds from water, campsite, road, etc.)?

Sure would be a great excuse to pick up a .22 rifle before my trip. (:

Thanks

wolfsong
05-29-2006, 4:21 AM
As you stated, be safe first. have a natural backstop of some sort. And don't hang your targets on a tree. That can get you in hot water. Sounds like you're going to be in the Fresno Dome area. If so, there are lots of roads off of roads, and plenty of places to set up targets. Consult a map, if this is where you're going to be, as the park boundaries, run pretty close to some of the roads, such as the road to Star Lakes, and the back way into Fish Camp. Let us know how the deer herd looks, if you come across any. But DON'T use them for targets! It's a little early for that. Have fun and be safe. Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.