PDA

View Full Version : Sub sonic verses supersonic and accuracy

Ratso
09-30-2010, 2:55 PM
I have been wondering what all the hoopla is regarding subsonic 22 ammo and accuracy.Yesterday I shot a group average of .128" out of five five shot groups at 50 yrds. This was shot from a very tricked out 10/22 ruger, and using 1280f.p.s. ammo. The ammo shooting a 36grn.bullet never falls into the realm of subsonic out at the 100 yrd target, and is quit accurate. If your 22 bullet never falls from sonic to subsonic then it will not suffer the turbulance that is so often talked about regarding the need for subsonic ammo.Read the ballistic charts and use the supersonic bullet, in this case a 36grn. pushed at 1280 f.p.s. which does not fall into the velocities of sub sonic till after a hundred yards. With a 22 who cares what it does after a 100 yrds? Save yourself some money on ammo.By the way the ammo I shoot is remmington golden bullet at 18.90 for 525.Like I said in my gun it shoots in the .1 to.3 range consistantly at 50 yrds. and .25 to .50 at 100 yrds and never goes subsonic due to its velocity ,and bullett coefficient.

MongooseV8
09-30-2010, 4:01 PM
http://www.ruger1022.com/docs/22lrballistics.htm

This data shows that just about all 22lr ammo goes subsonic at or before 50 yards, including Remington Golds......

I know subs are much more accurate in my guns.

Ledbetter
09-30-2010, 4:06 PM
On what evidence do you conclude that the bullet does not fall below the speed of sound at 100 yards? A .22 bullet drops 6-8 inches at that distance.

Izzy43
09-30-2010, 4:16 PM
I have been wondering what all the hoopla is regarding subsonic 22 ammo and accuracy.Yesterday I shot a group average of .128" out of five five shot groups at 50 yrds. This was shot from a very tricked out 10/22 ruger, and using 1280f.p.s. ammo. The ammo shooting a 36grn.bullet never falls into the realm of subsonic out at the 100 yrd target, and is quit accurate. If your 22 bullet never falls from sonic to subsonic then it will not suffer the turbulance that is so often talked about regarding the need for subsonic ammo.Read the ballistic charts and use the supersonic bullet, in this case a 36grn. pushed at 1280 f.p.s. which does not fall into the velocities of sub sonic till after a hundred yards. With a 22 who cares what it does after a 100 yrds? Save yourself some money on ammo.By the way the ammo I shoot is remmington golden bullet at 18.90 for 525.Like I said in my gun it shoots in the .1 to.3 range consistantly at 50 yrds. and .25 to .50 at 100 yrds and never goes subsonic due to its velocity ,and bullett coefficient.

Me thinks your data is flawed. Check the charts on this link. http://www.gunsmoke.com/guns/1022/22ballistics.html. 22lr high velocity @ 100yds is definitely subsonic at that range and depending on environment is most likely subsonic @ 50 yds. I believe its more likely that your rifle happens to love the ammo that you are using, hence the accuracy you get is excellent. Buy the way all bullets whether supersonic or subsonic suffers turbulence as soon as it exits the barrel cause they are all pushing air. Slower ammo just pushes the air more slowly hence less turbulence than supersonic.

Ratso
10-02-2010, 8:31 AM
I stand corrected my wife and I used a computer program, and used the wrong ballistic coefficient for the bullet used. Any how the bullet I am using is definitely supersonic at 50 yrds. at 1117 f.p.s. and barely is in the subsonic realm by approx. 70f.p.s. which doesnt seem to be enough for any significant accuracy problems.If you want to spend all that money on subsonic ammo go ahead. check out some of the supersonic ammo that barely goes subsonic at or before 100 yrds you might be surprised as I was.I shot tuns of money on exspensive ammo then started to experiment with some cheaper s.v. ammo,and was quite surprised when I found one that out shot all my subsonics especially at 50 yards.Hold on My wife just got the ballistic coefficient from remmington ,when she runs it through quick "target demo program" on her computer with a ballistic coefficient of .202 on 36grn hollow point her graph shows a 100 yrd. velocity of 1092f.p.s. with a muzzle velocity of 1280 f.p.s. I'll be at the range today shooting .1-.3 50yrd. groups at 50 yrds. and quarter size groups at 100 and loving my $19.00 ammo. It cant possibly be bothered by going subsonic or it wouldnt shoot this good definitey competitive. Shooting an average shot from five /five shot groups of ..128" see ya at 50yrds. I'll be the guy shootin holes with money in my pocket. Never hurts to try new ammo, and possibly shoot good and save money, shooting is exspensive enough and I know you know what I mean.Peace to all. Ratso