PDA

View Full Version : hunting rifle ??

1 SIG fan
09-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Need help from hunters. I've never hunted, but want to be able too with friends, SHTF etc...Maybe (deer, pig etc....) 3 questions:

1) I know 30-06 etc is popular, but any serious drawbacks to .308 (7.62x51)

2) what power optic would you recommend. Can I get away with 1-4 or do I need 2.5-10 (looking at Nightforce) I know range varies but I don't know what range I'd be shooting at.

3) I want a steyr Scout, maybe not the ideal hunting rifle but it's really light, box magazine fed and I like it as a good travelable dual function shooting/hunting rifle.
http://www.glossover.co.uk/blog/images/ts-small.jpg

Thanks!

DirtRacer151
09-30-2010, 11:47 AM
I just bought a tikka hunter in 30-06 for a general purpose hunting rifle. Ill post pics when it gets out of jail next week.

glockman19
09-30-2010, 11:57 AM
My hunting rifle is a Remington 700CDL in .30-06. Why? The cartridge can be loaded to many different specs and can take any game in Norht America. Why the rifle. Great rifle, light enough to carry all day.

sevensix2x51
09-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Im not an expert by any means, but I have lugged a rifle looking for critters a time or two.
My observations...
keep it as light as possible.
For magnification, less is more. Its nearly impossible for me to break a shot offhand at 10x.
.308 will drop any game I plan to take in the foreseeable future.

So my one goto hunting rifle is a 600 mohawk w/ a vx1 2-7x32.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=62103&d=1279334427

Sheepdog1968
09-30-2010, 12:28 PM
A Styer Scout was a concept Jeff Cooper pushed as the all around purpose rifle. It is definately a good hunting rifle if you can afford one. In terms of scopes, I use either a 2.5X or 4X fixed. That is more than adequate for hunting and any reasonable distance you are likely going to want to shoot (I've shot a few times at 300 yards with a 4X and felt it was more than adequate and felt I could still shoot a few hundred yards more before I'd want more scope). In terms of 30-06 vs 308. It's a great campfire debate that never will be resolved. The only down side to the 30-06 is that it is a longer round requiring a longer receiver which then makes for a heavier rifle.

Another handy fun rifle is a lever action 30-30. With the new Hornady LeverEvolution ammo, I can definately shoot confidentally at 200 yards and if needed to shoot for self-defense I could shoot out to 300 yards (I have a tough time imagining any realistic situation where I'd need to shoot that far for self-defense). It would be great for deer, social plinking with your friends, and self-defense.

1 SIG fan
09-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Great info, thanks guys... Guess a Scout is in my future...

no surprise sevensix2x51 hunts with .308 :)

gun toting monkeyboy
09-30-2010, 3:41 PM
You know the Steyrs are super expensive, right? And that the lightweight barrel doesn't really contribute to it being a tack driver? There is a reason that most hunting rifles look the way they do. That is the form that hundreds of years of firearms evolution has lead to. If you are intent on spending that much on your rig, you would be better served getting a Remington 700, are REALLY nice scope, and lots of ammunition to practice with.

As for the .30-06 vs. .308 debate, that one has been going on almost as long as the .30-06 vs. .270 debate. And both are likely to go on long after we are all dead. .30-06 can kill anything you will run into here in North America. I wouldn't use it for hunting big bears from the ground, but aside from that... The .308 will do almost exactly the same thing. And it is a bit more accurate due to it's shorter powder column. They figured that one out back in the 1960's, but there are still -06 fans that refuse to believe it. The only down side to the .308 is about 100 fps less velocity than the same bullet weight out of a .30-06. Aside from the accuracy, it has a few other advantages over the -06. Those being more cheap surplus is available, and will continue to be, even as the supplies of .30-06 surplus dry up. And it uses a short action instead of a long action.

If you are just starting out with bolt guns, look at Savage, or their off-brand, Stevens. You can normally pick up the latter for around $300 and the former for $400-450. Learn what you do or don't like with those, and if you feel that you want something better later, trade up for it. Or you could just cut out the first step and go straight to a Remington 700 and be done with it. Just remember to avoid the Reminton 710 and 770, and they are low-priced junk.

BamBam-31
09-30-2010, 3:50 PM
Great suggestions so far. I'd go with the Tikka T3 (super accurate, smooth bolt, detachable mag, all at an affordable pricepoint). If not that, then the ever-popular Rem 700. I'd also go with .30-06, as you have the additional option to go to a heavier bullet w/ the -06, if needed.

As for scopes, the 3-9x is probably your best bet. It's probably the most popular magnification range for hunting (for good reason), hence all the great deals out there for them. You'll probably leave it on 3x or 4x anyways for the improved field of view.

Good luck!

aaronraby1
09-30-2010, 4:02 PM
i have two hunting rifles.

out to 700 yards i use my browning A-bolt in a 300 win mag. leupold 4-10x50 vari-x III.

for anything further, i use my remington 700p in 338 lapua mag. leupold mark 4 6.5-20x50.

some people will argue all day that a .308 is a better round. im not convinced. making a good shot is what really matters in the end. i would actually choose the '06 over .308 any day! thats just me though. as far as what power of scope i would recommend, it depends on the environment really. you gotta be adaptive.

deadcoyote
09-30-2010, 4:09 PM
I just bought a Savage 10FCM, which is their Scout knock off. Paid $635 new, with accustock and accutrigger. Put a NC star 7x EER scope on it and I'm shooting .5-.6 moa consistently at 100 yards. That's with handloads but it's just Remington factory brass with a CCI #200 primer, SMK 175 grain HPBT's over 38 grains of IMR 3031.
You'll save a lot of money over the Steyr but the mags only hold 4 rounds and spares run for about $50! Just letting you know your options.:D

deadcoyote
09-30-2010, 4:13 PM
PS, i know the NC star is a cheapo scope. Paid $43 shipped with rings. I thought I'd buy it to shoot until I could afford something better. It's working so good thus far I might just buy another while it's on sale for a back up. Of course I've only shot it out to about 220 yards so far. I'll try it out to 500 this weekend and we'll see if I change my mind!:D

1 SIG fan
09-30-2010, 6:29 PM
The nc I have on my 22 is cool but wasn't sure it'd hold zero on a .308.

I'm over the savage. Had a bad taste from a misdrilled rail factory defect. It was Nice but I still pissed about it. I know the steyrs expensive but it's worth it. I guess the bull barrel of a 700 would be nice but I don't expect a Lot of follow up shots. Not hunting ground squirrels. Hope it'll be ok...

drunktank
09-30-2010, 7:14 PM
1) No big drawback from the .308. For hunting in California, I (and probably the majority) like the .30-.06, .270, .308, and .243. Personally, I've always stayed away from a .308 in a bolt action hunting rifle. I reload and there are more options available for hunting bullets as far as the .30-.06 is concerned compared to the .308. Military surplus ammo is going to differ from the ammo you use for hunting. The 100fps difference is almost a wash, but for full house loads, the .308 will lack a bit compared to the heaviest .30-.06 bullets. That being noted, I prefer the .270win due to it's flatter trajectory and the fact that the largest animals I'll be harvesting with said rifle is the anemic So-Cal whitetail. The .243's are fun to shoot due to very little recoil and even flatter trajectories than the .270. Can't really go wrong with either choice.

2) For optics, I like around 4x in the field where I hunt. I also won't take shots 400+ yards. However, I buy 3x9 scopes because I like the 9x setting while at the range.

3) If you like the Scout and don't mind spending the coin for it, I'd say get it! I personally like Savages for the price to value ratio. Might want to take a peek at some Tikka T3's. Their actions are great and are great shooters out of the box with factory ammo. Their box mags are expensive, but there are deals on the internet.

Good luck with your decision.

Dave A
09-30-2010, 8:30 PM
I'm with drunktank and prefer two rifles for different game. A .270 Win for California sized animals and if you want to go after bigger game get a .300 Win mag, or a .338 if you don't mind the recoil. Prefer a Leupold 3x9 so can tailor the magnification to what I need at the time.

Nothing at all wrong with a .30-06, or a .308 and I have both, but just like the .270, so that is what gets used.

CoyoteHunter555
10-09-2010, 11:24 AM
I've got a 7mm Rem Mag for sale, link in my signature. 7 mag is a great all around North American Big Game round, as well as 30-06

Fjold
10-09-2010, 12:40 PM
The 30.06 get about 100 - 150 fps over the 308 using the same bullets. Inside of 60o yards or so, no animal is going to know the difference.

I would recommend the 2.5-10X for typical California hunting as it gives you a little more range and more amplification to find your targets amid the brush, etc.

I wouldn't recommend a scout rifle for a first hunting rifle. Since the scope is mounted far foward of the receiver you must use an intermediate eye relief scope which rules out the higher end scopes, Nightforce, et al.