PDA

View Full Version : First Bolt Action Rifle Ė Tikka, Savage, Remington

ExtremeX
09-29-2010, 11:30 PM
I decided to step out of my AR comfort zone and have been looking and bolt guns on and off for a few months. I think I am pretty set on getting a .308 caliber. Tikka, Savage, and Remington are the 3 brands Iíve been looking at.

Type of use: Iím not a hunter, more of a plinker and target shooter learning the ropes of long range precision shooting. I am leaning more towards a varmint / heavy barrel setups since most of the time I will be shooting from a bench.

So many options, itís hard to really narrow it down. Tikka is top pick on my list, itís got glowing recommendations from many people and the performance to price ratio seems high. Unfortunately I canít find a vendor in the San Diego area that carries them.

Budget: I would like to keep it under $1000, preferably $700-800 without optics. I intend on getting some quality glass so I donít want to go overkill on the bolt gun, YET.

What are your recommendations, please be specific about make and model. At the end of the day Iím looking for an accurate out of the box shooter that wonít break the bank.

Rekrab
09-30-2010, 12:35 AM
Out of the box accuracy? From everything I've read, you want a Savage.

THT
09-30-2010, 12:42 AM
Buy the cheapest Remington 700 you can find. Put a 10x Super Sniper scope on it with a bipod of your choosing. Shoot it. A lot. Shoot it some more. That rifle will be more accurate than you for quite some time. Once the rifle becomes the weak link, start upgrading parts and take advantage of the fact that the Remington 700 has the largest aftermarket base of the bolt action rifles. But that's for another thread :)

Rekrab
09-30-2010, 12:44 AM
Remington is certainly the darling of the precision shooting world and has the most aftermarket options.

thevic
09-30-2010, 12:45 AM
I just sold my sps yesterday and getting a tactical or ltr at noon today woooo!

Dhena81
09-30-2010, 1:11 AM
Remington because you can buy cheap and build it into greatness if you have a budget of 1000 I'd look at the R700 5r next I would buy a good scope once like a Nightforce or USO.

Connor P Price
09-30-2010, 1:21 AM
For target shooting, especially if you ever intend to get into any competitions, Remington 700 is the way to go. The aftermarket is second to none, the accuracy is great, and the bolt doesn't bind up on you.

I see your located in SoCal, come on over to www.CAPRC.com and check it out. Were pretty much all calgunners as well, but you'll find a lot more concentrated precision rifle shooting information. Every three months we have a new precision rifle shooter intro to help new precision shooters get a feel for the sport. Our most recent one was this past Sunday and went wonderfully, all 12 brand new precision rifle shooters acquired a solid zero and gathered solid DOPE out to 600 yards. Every one was able to hit a 6 inch circle target at 500 yards by the end of the day, thats just over 1 MOA at 500. Come check it out.

swerv512
09-30-2010, 4:11 AM
just buy a Remington 700 and upgrade as you go...
though it will end up costing more than a custom rifle in the end, you wont have to break the bank all at one time.

erratikmind
09-30-2010, 5:57 AM
I am getting a Remy 700 SPS Tactical, as a base 308 platform project. Unlike my latest AR build, I will be able to enjoy and shoot the said, as I slowly change the stock, save for higher end glass, trigger work, etc.

The Remy itself is inexspensive, in the big picture, and I will be in no hurry to mod it. Well, that is the thinking, at this time. Gotta get through the current 1911 sickness, first.

When one is retired, one has too much time to spend hard earned monies. Help!

bjl333
09-30-2010, 8:26 AM
Buy the cheapest Remington 700 you can find. Put a 10x Super Sniper scope on it with a bipod of your choosing. Shoot it. A lot. Shoot it some more. That rifle will be more accurate than you for quite some time. Once the rifle becomes the weak link, start upgrading parts and take advantage of the fact that the Remington 700 has the largest aftermarket base of the bolt action rifles. But that's for another thread :)

Remington because you can buy cheap and build it into greatness if you have a budget of 1000 I'd look at the R700 5r next I would buy a good scope once like a Nightforce or USO.

For target shooting, especially if you ever intend to get into any competitions, Remington 700 is the way to go. The aftermarket is second to none, the accuracy is great, and the bolt doesn't bind up on you.

I see your located in SoCal, come on over to www.CAPRC.com and check it out. Were pretty much all calgunners as well, but you'll find a lot more concentrated precision rifle shooting information. Every three months we have a new precision rifle shooter intro to help new precision shooters get a feel for the sport. Our most recent one was this past Sunday and went wonderfully, all 12 brand new precision rifle shooters acquired a solid zero and gathered solid DOPE out to 600 yards. Every one was able to hit a 6 inch circle target at 500 yards by the end of the day, thats just over 1 MOA at 500. Come check it out.

just buy a Remington 700 and upgrade as you go...
though it will end up costing more than a custom rifle in the end, you wont have to break the bank all at one time.

I am getting a Remy 700 SPS Tactical, as a base 308 platform project. Unlike my latest AR build, I will be able to enjoy and shoot the said, as I slowly change the stock, save for higher end glass, trigger work, etc.

The Remy itself is inexspensive, in the big picture, and I will be in no hurry to mod it. Well, that is the thinking, at this time. Gotta get through the current 1911 sickness, first.

When one is retired, one has too much time to spend hard earned monies. Help!

I love my Savage 10LE rifle, but after all the testimonies of the www.Caprc.com guys I've decided to get a Rem 700 in 308. I really don't think what model I get is as important as getting good with it. As long as its one of the bull barreled 700s I think you'd be good to go. I've been looking at all the aftermarket stuff and the Remmy is the strongest. Then there is the factor of rebarreling the gun. The best guy around here to do it is AR15barrels.com . Or you can find him at the other site. Good luck and be safe.

ExtremeX
09-30-2010, 9:05 AM
Thanks everyone... I know Remmy has a huge aftermarket following, it’s kind of like the AR crowd in a way. But why no love for Savage or Tikka? I’m only concerned with a good out of the box shooter right now.

I’ll be honest, I’m not looking for a project rifle or something to dump money into, I just want a good out of the box bolt action to learn with that’s accurate and has a decent trigger. When the time comes, chances are ill drop some coin on something really nice.

I’ve heard Savage is an excellent out of the box shooter with a good trigger. I have nothing against the Remmy, I just don’t want to turn the next purchase into a money pit with endless upgrades.

bjl333
09-30-2010, 9:07 AM
Thanks everyone... I know Remmy has a huge aftermarket following, itís kind of like the AR crowd in a way. But why no love for Savage or Tikka? Iím only concerned with a good out of the box shooter right now.

Iíll be honest, Iím not looking for a project rifle or something to dump money into, I just want a good out of the box bolt action to learn with thatís accurate and has a decent trigger. When the time comes, chances are ill drop some coin on something really nice.

Iíve heard Savage is an excellent out of the box shooter with a good trigger. I have nothing against the Remmy, I just donít want to turn the next purchase into a money pit with endless upgrades.

Then the Savage 10LE would be a good choice. My 223 will shot 1/2" MOA all day.

glockman19
09-30-2010, 9:09 AM
My first choice would be Rmington, then Savage, then Tikka.

I have a Remington 700P w/26" heavy barrel in .308 that shoots a cold bore shot that is exactly on the cross hairs at 100 yards.

My other bolt action rifle is a Remington 700 CDL in .30-06. It is my hunting rifle. It is light and also shoots a cold bore shot exactly on the crosshairs at 200 yards.

Second would be a Savage FP10, then the Tikka.

I might also add Kimber rifle to the choices.

Dhena81
09-30-2010, 9:16 AM
Trust me a R700 will be plenty accurate for you unless your already an expert shooter do you reload? BTW being a shooter is a money pit if you want a safe queen get the savage.

ExtremeX
09-30-2010, 9:22 AM
In general, does a stainless barrel help with accuracy at all, or is it more of an aesthetics thing? Any added corrosion resistance spending a little more on a stainless barrel?

THT
09-30-2010, 9:38 AM
Stainless barrels are more accurate than chrome-lined however you trade barrel life for that accuracy.

doctor_vals
09-30-2010, 9:48 AM
Some additional info from other forums:

shootersforum - http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=11967

cabelas - https://forums.cabelas.com/showthread.php?t=5349

THR - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=242187

huntingnet - http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/294555-savage-110-vs-remington-700-a.html

turbosubie
09-30-2010, 12:08 PM
I have the Savage Edge .223 and it is an awesome gun. It was $379 at Turner's and has been great. It is extremely accurate and cheap and easy to shoot. It wasn't worth spending the extra money for the Rem as I am just shooting varmint etc.

ZX-10R
09-30-2010, 12:20 PM
My first bolt action was a Remington XR100 in .223...I regret selling it a few months ago. Great gun and I am partial to Remy.

Next bolt action is M700 easily. I like savage as well...A range regular has one that he has allowed me too shot but his is decked out and that thing is a shooter as well.

OutlawDon
09-30-2010, 4:22 PM
Out of the box accuracy...Savage is my vote. Remington is great and has a strong following/aftermarket, but you're dumping more money from the get-go and that's not a good path for a newbie just starting out.

For your needs, go with a long 24' or 26" stainless barrel. I would look at the 12FVSS. Got mine for about $750 and then threw on a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock for $240. Mine's .223 though, but has been precise enough to make consistent torso-sized paper hits all the way out to 1000 yards. No work done besides the stock and Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 scope.

http://healthbydon.com/savage12fvss1.jpg

damon1272
09-30-2010, 7:10 PM
I have owned all three. The savage shot good but just lacked that quality feel. The remington is good but still does not compare to my Tikka's. I love the Tikkas as they are a quality unit at a good price. If it came down to one I would go Tikka first savage second (great trigger) and then the remington

ExtremeX
09-30-2010, 7:14 PM
Tikka is my first choice. I want the TIKKA T3 VARMINT STAINLESS but cant find a single place in SoCal that has one in stock.

Where do you shop for your Tikka?

toby
09-30-2010, 7:16 PM
A Remmy is like an AR a money pit! get a Tikka or a Savage or even a T/C icon Precision. Yes I once was a Remington snob as well, then I realized they werent all that!

ExtremeX
09-30-2010, 7:44 PM
A Remmy is like an AR a money pit! get a Tikka or a Savage or even a T/C icon Precision. Yes I once was a Remington snob as well, then I realized they werent all that!

I already have a money pit and itís my ARs. I enjoy working on them and spending money making changes is just part of the game for me. Itís been my favorite rifle platform for a long time. My original idea was an AR-10 build for my precession setup, but I understand there are much better options out there for the money.

I donít plan on spending a single cent making changes or modifications to my first bolt gun; itís merely a stepping stone to something bigger and better. I picked .308 since itís a more affordable round to practice with, and I am going to join a club and learn the ropes with it first. While I appreciate Remmy has a strong aftermarket, itís actually has no bearing or influence on my decision as itís not something I am interested in. Iím looking for out of the box awesomeness + some good optics.

Not really relevant to this thread, but Iíve been eyeing the Accuracy International .338 Lapua, but it would be foolish to jump into something like this without some serious seat time on a bolt gun with some long range experience and a solid understanding of ballistics. I rather save money for something like this than constantly modifying my first bolt gun chasing that long range perfection.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
09-30-2010, 7:53 PM
I have owned all three. There all Great.

Arreaux
09-30-2010, 7:55 PM
Sako 75 in 30-06 was my first bolt rifle. Incredibly accurate 1/2" 3 shot groups with Winchester silver ballistic tip rounds. it was a little on the heavy side and I toted that thing all over the sierras.

I've seen a friends Remington that was that accurate, but it had a fat barrel on it.

Tikka would be the next best thing to a Sako imho.

ExtremeX
09-30-2010, 7:57 PM
Thanks, Ill check it out, haven’t looked at any Sakos yet.

aaronraby1
09-30-2010, 8:00 PM
Remington is certainly the darling of the precision shooting world and has the most aftermarket options.

this.

BigBamBoo
09-30-2010, 8:13 PM

pyro3k2
09-30-2010, 8:22 PM
Tikka's are the best out of the gun box imo, the only upgrade you really need is quality ammo and a quality scope. If you are a tinkerer and love to mess around with things and what not then a remington or a savage would be a better option. Better after market support for those two platforms, but the tikka guys (including myself) will say there is less aftermarket support because they dont need upgrades :cool2:

xibunkrlilkidsx
09-30-2010, 8:23 PM
Tikka is my first choice. I want the TIKKA T3 VARMINT STAINLESS but cant find a single place in SoCal that has one in stock.

Where do you shop for your Tikka?

that is the biggest down turn of Tikka. very very small aftermarket support. But they are great rifles.

when i was looking at a .308 bolt i looked at savage 10fp and Remington. I had shot both before i bought and i was more accurate with the remington. And the Action is waaaaaaaaaay smoother on the remington. dont get into this the stock on the sps varmit is crap, the savage one isn't much better. but i was still able to shot around 1moa with my Rem700 stock. but it in a bell and carlson stock and ive gotten a few groups under 1/2moa.

If you get your rifle by Mid october/nov im going out to a shooting spot of mine in ocotillo if you want to reach out to longer ranges.

BigBamBoo
09-30-2010, 8:36 PM

ExtremeX
09-30-2010, 8:38 PM
I just want to reiterate… I do not care about what aftermarket options are available for a particular rifle, or a lack of aftermarket. The fact Tikka doesn’t have a large aftermarket isn’t an issue at all.

I’m sorry Remmy guys, the large aftermarket parts base isn’t a selling point to me in this particular purchase.

I think at this point, Remington is out… I’m not interested in modifying my rifle in any way shape or form to make it shoot better, and this seems to be the general consensus of most Remmy owners, it’s a platform which is begging for modifications. The money saved is going to something high end, in the 3k-5k range when the time comes, and chambered in .338 Lapua.

BigBamBoom, thanks for the post, this info was most useful.
Pyro3k2, I had the same general consensus from many others I have spoken to in the past about Tikka, who have also owned remmys and savage rifles. I was more of less looking for some validation to their claims.

My biggest problem right now is the availability of Tikka at LOCAL stores… I like to look, touch, and feel my guns before buying.

xibunkrlilkidsx
09-30-2010, 8:45 PM
I just want to reiterateÖ I do not care about what aftermarket options are available for a particular rifle, or a lack of aftermarket. The fact Tikka doesnít have a large aftermarket isnít an issue at all.

Iím sorry Remmy guys, the large aftermarket parts base isnít a selling point to me in this particular purchase.

I think at this point, Remington is outÖ Iím not interested in modifying my rifle in any way shape or form to make it shoot better, and this seems to be the general consensus of most Remmy owners, itís a platform which is begging for modifications. The money saved is going to something high end, in the 3k-5k range when the time comes, and chambered in .338 Lapua.

BigBamBoom, thanks for the post, this info was most useful.
Pyro3k2, I had the same general consensus from many others I have spoken to in the past about Tikka, who have also owned remmys and savage rifles. I was more of less looking for some validation to their claims.

My biggest problem right now is the availability of Tikka at LOCAL storesÖ I like to look, touch, and feel my guns before buying.

stores are a hard one. what part of San Diego you in? Duncans Gunworks in san marcos has a big selection of rifles but cant say that they have Tikas.

BigBamBoo
09-30-2010, 8:46 PM

ExtremeX
09-30-2010, 8:46 PM
Sako 75 in 30-06 was my first bolt rifle. Incredibly accurate 1/2" 3 shot groups with Winchester silver ballistic tip rounds. it was a little on the heavy side and I toted that thing all over the sierras.

I've seen a friends Remington that was that accurate, but it had a fat barrel on it.

Tikka would be the next best thing to a Sako imho.

Thanks for the heads up on Sako, I wasnít considering them until now. Their product line looks very impressive... The TRG-42 caught my eye :D I will compare it to the Accuracy International when its time.

What product would you recommend from their lineup for direct comparison to the Tikka Varmint Stainless

ExtremeX
09-30-2010, 8:49 PM
stores are a hard one. what part of San Diego you in? Duncans Gunworks in san marcos has a big selection of rifles but cant say that they have Tikas.

Iíve heard of Duncans but never been to their shop, Iíll give them a call tomorrow.

Army
09-30-2010, 8:51 PM
Savage owns International F-Class.....jus' sayin'.

For Savage work, contact Fred at www.sharpshootersupply.com

I sold and gave away all other makes of bolt guns I owned, and shoot Savage only...........except for my very cool Browning T-Bolt .22.

BigBamBoo
09-30-2010, 9:00 PM

Pryde
09-30-2010, 9:02 PM
The money saved is going to something high end, in the 3k-5k range when the time comes, and chambered in .338 Lapua.

Even if you are a highly skilled long range shooter, you are still not going to want a .338 as a primary gun. .338 is going to be around $2 a round (if you reload your own) or $5 if you don't. In addition the recoil of the round, even in an AI rifle is enough that you will not want to shoot it anymore after 30 or so rounds. Your head is going to hurt from the shockwave, your shoulder is going to be tender and even the most experienced shooters will develop a recoil flinch. Realistically .338s tend to be people safe queens rather than guns you will take out and enjoy.

I understand a lot of people who are new to the long-range game think that the .338 is the end-all-be-all used by elite tactical snipers but its simply not practical as a recreational or even a competition caliber.

If you are planning on getting a high end long range rig now, consider an Accuracy International AE or a Sako TRG-22. You can rebarrel either gun in .260 or .243 which is more pleasant to shoot and has similar velocity/ballistic coefficient as a .338

verapakill
09-30-2010, 9:05 PM
Theres a reason why the police department swat teams snipers use the guns they do more then any other gun.

The Remington is kind of like a honda its not the best gun you will ever shoot but its reliable and user friendly.

ExtremeX
09-30-2010, 9:14 PM
Theres a reason why the police department swat teams snipers use the guns they do more then any other gun.

The Remington is kind of like a honda its not the best gun you will ever shoot but its reliable and user friendly.

Haha, I really like your analogy.

For this purchase, Iím not looking for a Honda, more of an Acura as its giving me everything I want off the showroom floor with a sports tuned suspension.
:D

Twystd1
09-30-2010, 9:46 PM

Brilliant piece of advice. And exactly right.
Add to that... If you ain't rolling your own ammo. You may NEVER see the maximum potential accuracy of any firearm you own.

I think the most difficult part of shooting is that the person behind the trigger and the ammo has to be as good as the firearm. And that my friend is a dam hard combination to master.

Did I say this can get expensive over time?
My last Remmy .308 with NF glass costs well over $2500 to assemble with a slightly used action, a left over jewel trigger and a second hand target scope. The stock and all the trick smithing and metal coatings don't come cheap either.

You can possibly build a BETTER than factory Remmy with kinda decent glass for around 1K if you search out used parts and spend time putting it together with the help of a good smith..
Hell.....maybe even a little less if you are a good deal maker and have goods to trade.
Think about starting with .308 and maybe later going to one of the PPC based cartridges for even more accuracy. (I like the 6 PPC Turbo cartridge these days)

The most important part is to have fun with ever you can afford.
Hell. A bone stock used savage in .223 and a half decent scope will take months to wring out the best of what accuracy is possible.
As the combination of you, the gun, the scope, the ammo and the weather conditions is a lifelong challenge to interpret and to execute.

Let us know how this comes out for you.

Cheers,
Twystd1

rksimple
10-01-2010, 6:59 AM
Out of the box accuracy is one thing. They all have it. Savages are dang accurate out of the box but suck in many other departments. Do you care about reliability? Ease of obtaining replacement parts? Working on it yourself? The savage is a tinkerers dream. Changing barrels in your garage is cake. But its extraction system is weak and not nearly as reliable as the rem or tikka. With the remington, you'll be able to find parts anywhere. Helps when you break an extractor and need one for your hunt tomorrow. The tikka is probably the nicest in the accuracy AND fit and finish department...smooth as silk bolt, accurate, etc. But parts may be harder to come by. It may not be a concern for you now, and it may never be, but when you're putting thousands of rounds through a rifle in a year, things don't last forever.

Being that you're in socal, come on out to a CAPRC event and you'll be able to get hands on with many different long range rifles and optics. Check the link in my sig.

Deadon
10-01-2010, 7:20 AM
I decided to step out of my AR comfort zone and have been looking and bolt guns on and off for a few months. I think I am pretty set on getting a .308 caliber. Tikka, Savage, and Remington are the 3 brands Iíve been looking at.

Type of use: Iím not a hunter, more of a plinker and target shooter learning the ropes of long range precision shooting. I am leaning more towards a varmint / heavy barrel setups since most of the time I will be shooting from a bench.

So many options, itís hard to really narrow it down. Tikka is top pick on my list, itís got glowing recommendations from many people and the performance to price ratio seems high. Unfortunately I canít find a vendor in the San Diego area that carries them.

Budget: I would like to keep it under $1000, preferably $700-800 without optics. I intend on getting some quality glass so I donít want to go overkill on the bolt gun, YET.

What are your recommendations, please be specific about make and model. At the end of the day Iím looking for an accurate out of the box shooter that wonít break the bank.
Go to the store and try the bolt on the guns listed.
You'll be blown away with the action of the Tikka. SOOOO SMOOOTH. With the other brands you have to spend 400+ more to get that action.