PDA

View Full Version : DROS question

Tacit Blue
09-29-2010, 11:14 PM
Hi everyone,

Me and my friend were discussing procedures for registering a long arm in CA.

On my paper work next to my thumb print, they hand wrote down my Serial number for my AR15? I thought in California Long Arm's aren't supposed to be registered with a serial number ;just the DROS and back round check?

jtmkinsd
09-29-2010, 11:28 PM
Long guns are not DROSed with a serial number...there can be no other reason they wrote down the serial number but for their own reason. If it ever came back on them they would be able to put the gun, with the DROS, with the person. Keep in mind this is their procedure...not required by law. I just keep serial numbers, along with the corresponding DROS number and the person in quick books when I build the receipt.

That copy of the DROS you put your fingerprint on does NOT get sent to the state by the way...that paper stays with your "packet" at the dealer's business, or in storage (we have to keep the records for 20 years)

Mike's Custom
09-29-2010, 11:32 PM
The DROS the FFL has goes nowhere and can be destroyed after 3 years. The FFL puts the serial number on it so they can trace/track it internally. It really depends on how a FFL stores their 4473s and DROS froms. I actually make a copy of the receipt on the back of the DROS with all the buyers and firearm information. It is just a quick reference if I need to look up receipts and the firearm. I also put the print on the back with the buyers ID. A FFL has to keep records of the CA approved gun lock and that is on the receipt also so it will show the date of purchase. Most people have no idea of how many copies of things a dealer has to make and keep. Just the 4473 is now 5 pages plus a DROS, Handgun safety Affidavit, Poroof of CA legal lock and/or CA gun safe as well as Proof Of Residency and a copy of hte DROS to go to the buyer or PPT seller and copies of the buyers CA ID.

Tacit Blue
09-29-2010, 11:38 PM
Thanks guys, thats what i was thinking also.