PDA

View Full Version : How to soften the magazine spring for the Glock?

vincnet11
09-29-2010, 5:07 PM
Tried to load the mag on my new Glock 21, I could only put 8/10 rounds into the magazine because the spring is too hard to push. BTW Im using the speed loader too.

Will the spring soften up if I leave it on like that overnight?

OneSevenDeuce
09-29-2010, 5:09 PM
No, not really. Just use them a couple times. The springs moving up and down from use will loosen them. You probably wont need the speed loader after a few trips to the range.

Ultimate
09-29-2010, 5:13 PM
Hmm if you couldn't fill up the mag with the crappy factory speed loader it might be a problem with your technique or a round could be jammed in there.

It is my understanding that just leaving a magazine loaded will do very little to break in mag springs. Instead the spring needs to be compressed and uncompressed many times over.

On my glock 23 I used the mag loader with 9 rounds or so to push the rounds down continuously for a period of time. It did help weaken them just slightly. When I left mags loaded it did nothing.

Now that i have the maglula loader maybe I would consider loading and unloading it a few times every day for a week or so see if that does a difference. But it feels like a non issue for me to do that now with the maglula.

vincnet11
09-29-2010, 5:33 PM
Hmm if you couldn't fill up the mag with the crappy factory speed loader it might be a problem with your technique or a round could be jammed in there.

It is my understanding that just leaving a magazine loaded will do very little to break in mag springs. Instead the spring needs to be compressed and uncompressed many times over.

On my glock 23 I used the mag loader with 9 rounds or so to push the rounds down continuously for a period of time. It did help weaken them just slightly. When I left mags loaded it did nothing.

Now that i have the maglula loader maybe I would consider loading and unloading it a few times every day for a week or so see if that does a difference. But it feels like a non issue for me to do that now with the maglula.For now I will shoot 7 or 8 rounds at the range hopefully it might soften up by the time I used 100 rounds of ammo.

RollingCode3
09-29-2010, 5:34 PM
shoot more

OneSevenDeuce
09-29-2010, 5:34 PM
For now I will shoot 7 or 8 rounds at the range hopefully it might soften up by the time I used 100 rounds of ammo.

Maybe more like 500-600 rounds.

jtyner
09-29-2010, 5:36 PM
Use your MAN hands! :D

VictorFranko
09-29-2010, 5:42 PM
http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/P10718770.jpg

Grumpyoldretiredcop
09-29-2010, 5:44 PM
Might have to use it more than a couple of times... just got a G21SF and yup, getting that 10th round in there is really a PITA, seems like much more so than the .40 and 9MM 10-rounders.

Another possible solution - full cap rebuild kits (blocked to 10 rounds, of course). They'd probably be easier to load.

den888
09-29-2010, 5:58 PM
Load them up to 8-9 and keep them like that for a few weeks. Then, shoot them and load them up again. The springs soften over time.

Greg-Dawg
09-29-2010, 6:04 PM
Man up Sally!

vincnet11
09-29-2010, 6:14 PM
Man up Sally!Ok I could load the mag with 8 rounds, and I try jacking off the spring with my speed loader see if that will soften it up.

jdewolf
09-29-2010, 7:49 PM
They are stiff but after being cycled a few times it doesn't hurt.

I still don't understand how you couldn't load them with the factory Glock loader though :???:

I don't have Gorilla hands but even when new I never had a problem. Granted in the beginning it's not fun but you should be able to get 7-8 by hand even on a new mag.

Regardless just shoot them some more and they'll loosen up.

sequoia_nomad
09-29-2010, 7:57 PM
Greg-Dawgs solution x RollingCode3s solution = Final Answer

bohoki
09-29-2010, 8:23 PM
use the butt slap method

when you get in all you can slap the floorplate on your palm while pushing down on the top cartridge it should make enough room to get another in repeat till full

INJUNTOM
09-29-2010, 8:30 PM
I haven't had a problem with any of mine.

I was warned the other day by a gun shop that I shouldn't leave ten rounds in my magazines...was told the life expectancy of the spring in this situation would be about 2 weeks...

Spdjunkie
09-29-2010, 8:31 PM
Just takes some time for those springs to settle in. I'd rather have stiffer/strong springs than weak springs that = Malfunctions.

Here is THE Solution if you are not use to loading stiff spring mags:

Maglula UpLULA Universal Pistol Magazine Loader Polymer Black
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=952670

Spdjunkie
09-29-2010, 8:35 PM

I was warned the other day by a gun shop that I shouldn't leave ten rounds in my magazines...was told the life expectancy of the spring in this situation would be about 2 weeks...
IMHO: Dont believe them. Quality Springs/Magazines will NOT go south that easily . . . . At least in my experience Glock mags wont.

Factory Glock 10 Round Mags are pretty stiff. I have not had an issue to date with Glock Mags loosing tension. If they do, I'll stuff them with slightly higher rate Wolff magazine springs.

Munk
09-29-2010, 8:46 PM

I lol'd. They know nothing of metals and little of guns if they actually believe this.

Bill Steele
09-29-2010, 9:11 PM
I just shot one of the rental Glocks at my local range. I was having some difficulty with my own gun at the time. The thing that struck me most, other than I was shooting it pretty darn good, was how nice it was to load. Butter soft springs. I think if you keep shooting it, they will soften.

I recently brought a Beretta out that had been in storage for over a decade. Two of the mags were fully loaded for over ten years. They fed perfectly.

vincnet11
09-29-2010, 10:33 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/icons/icon14.gifder maybe I would consider loading and unloading it a few times every day for a week or so see if that does a difference. But it feels like a non issue for me to do that now with the maglula.[/QUOTE]OK I'll take your suggestion and try the maglula.http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/icons/icon14.gif

BlackViper
09-30-2010, 11:04 AM
The 10 round g21 mags are the worst - much worse than the g17s. For those saying to just man-up and shove the 10th round in you cannot. And if you do manage the 10th round, they're packed so tight the slide can't even strip off the top round.

Just shoot them as much as you can with loading 9 rounds. After a while, they will soften up enough to fit the 10th round but it takes quite a while. I actually mark mine by date so I know which ones are the oldest and most manageable.

loosewreck
09-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Maglula UpLULA is the best way to go, and lots of use. I use this product, but most of the time if I'm target shooting in a fixed position, I just load 5 rounds per mag. Makes it much easier to keep track of rounds, track group size, not to mention also lengthens the shooting experience.

pinwheels
09-30-2010, 4:14 PM
The Glock 10 rd mags are notoriously hard when new. Maglula and a half dozen boxes of ammo will help alot. If you're planning to do any IPSC-type matches, your thumb will be bleeding by the end of the day without a Maglula.

Prowler
09-30-2010, 4:45 PM
I load mine and leave them loaded for weeks. They'll loosen up a little, then I'll trim each spring by a 1/2 loop and try again. Trim a 1/2 loop at a time.

vincnet11
10-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the advice on the uplula:D. Damn thing really works like magic!

The spring has already loosened after 3 days with 8 rounds loaded in the mag, so I barely used any effort with uplula after receiving it in the mail.

dennab
10-03-2010, 3:38 PM
use it and it will soften

vincnet11
10-03-2010, 10:44 PM
use it and it will softenNever mind your advice.:D With the maglula I managed to fit 10 rounds in both the mags. Fired it for the first time today, no hiccups or jams from the mag or the gun. I fired 95 rounds.

1911su16b870
10-04-2010, 9:14 AM
Brand new Glock mags can be difficult to load, through use they get easier to load...so just struggle for a few dozen loadings and they'll be GTG

vincnet11
10-04-2010, 1:17 PM
Brand new Glock mags can be difficult to load, through use they get easier to load...so just struggle for a few dozen loadings and they'll be GTGI never struggled with the uplula, not with the first time using it. I struggled to put 8 rounds in both the mags with the crappy factory speedloader, just left it on like that for 3 days while I was ordering the thing, when I got my uplula I loaded the last 2 rounds without a hassle. Then I let the spring stretch overnight....then you know the rest, test fired my glock f.t.f.t, fit 10 rounds in the mag, had no jamming problems of any kind...