PDA

View Full Version : Seeking C&R information

pantera52
09-29-2010, 2:20 PM
Hello all-

Whats the rules and regulations for a rifle (sks yugo model 59/66 in particular) to be c&r. 50+ years old and

what else, if anything? Where do I find a stamped date? What needs to be done during the transaction (ie ID

check etc)?

Your help is well respected and much appreciated.

jtmkinsd
09-29-2010, 7:30 PM
Hello all-

Whats the rules and regulations for a rifle (sks in particular) to be c&r. 50+ years old and

what else, if anything? Where do I find a stamped date? What needs to be done during the transaction (ie ID

check etc)?

Your help is well respected and much appreciated.

The serial number is going to be your best bet to determine the age of the rifle. Guns in general rarely have a date stamp, and most times you can't rely on them because they are on the barrel or somewhere other than the receiver or frame (which is the part of the gun that matters). You may have to do a LOT of research to determine date of manufacture on an SKS...I'm not familiar with how much info there is on them. If it is truly a C&R gun, the transaction is cash and carry if you buy it private party...no FFL needed...BUT, you should be certain the gun is 50+ years old, and has not been modified from it's original configuration...it's ok to have newer parts on the gun, but they should conform to the original set up the gun was manufactured with. If it's shipped into CA you'll need to go through an FFL.

timdps
09-29-2010, 8:18 PM
Depends on which SKS you are talking about.
Russians have the date on the top cover, Romanians on the receiver side.
Have never owned and Yugo or Albaninan so don't know about them.
Chinese SKSs may well have a way to figure out the date from the markings, but no one in the US has ever figured it out, so you can't buy Chinese SKSs as C&R rifles.

tim

pantera52
09-29-2010, 8:59 PM
Ill be a little more specific:
Its a yugo model 59/66

Pthfndr
09-29-2010, 9:50 PM
None of the Yugo 59/66 are 50 years old yet. So no cash and carry PPT in within CA.

Some of the model 59 are.

Yugos don't have a date stamped on them like a lot of the old rifles. You have to go by the serial number and check when that run was produced.

dmax11
09-29-2010, 9:51 PM
Yugo's cannot be dated with certainty because the factory that produced them got bombed in the 90's and the records for them were destroyed.

BATFE has added the M59 and M59/66 models to the C&R list so they are C&R by federal standards but California requires that a long gun must be 50 years or older to be eligible for FFL free FTF private party transfers if that is why you are wondering so that is a def no go for 59/66's period as the first ones were produced in 1967 making them at the most 43 years old right now but production ended in 1989 so they can be a new as 21 years old.

here is a chart that lists roughly the years of MFG based on the SN that has been compiled by collectors. the letter prefix of the SN is the primary identifier of the year it was made for most 59/66's lower the letter the older it is except for the last 3 years they produced them they ran out of letters and reset at A but the year before they had updated them to the 59/66A2 that has the tritium vile night sights so its pretty obvious if you have a 59/66A2

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=81.0

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee148/beachbum762/yugochart.jpg

my Yugo is a P series and was made more than likely in 1979