PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive base AK for mallninja build?

Gundam
09-29-2010, 2:15 PM
I'm an AR guy, but now I'm getting the AK bug, especially since I plan on selling my SKS and I still have over 1k rounds of 7.62 sitting around. Now I'm not a fan of wood on my guns and will quickly replace the wood handguard with a MI railed handguard. I also plan on replacing the stock with a stock adapter that accepts milspec AR stocks. I'm not doing it to be tacticool, I just like the options available to me by going down this route. Plus, did I mention I hate wood?

So I'm looking for an AK that won't break the bank. I don't care about condition of the wood, as I will be replacing all the furniture on it anyways. I'm not expecting anything super accurate. As long as it's reliable and shoots fairly straight, I'm golden. I've looked at the Century AK's and WASR's by Henderson Defense. Are those decent?

munkeeboi
09-29-2010, 2:20 PM
those are at a good price point, but even better than that, they are one of the few resellers that will certify and warranty the Century products since Century won't.

C.W.M.V.
09-29-2010, 2:53 PM
those are at a good price point, but even better than that, they are one of the few resellers that will certify and warranty the Century products since Century won't.

:confused: Ive returned weapons to century under warranty. They were actually very easy to work with. THey only asked that since I was in California that I ship the rifle to them through an FFL.

I just got a WASR 10/63 through DD's ranch. Great, awesome, pleasure to shoot rifle.

C_1
09-29-2010, 2:59 PM
Saiga?

pyro3k2
09-29-2010, 3:06 PM
WASR 10/63 are going to be consistantly the cheapest all around AK with the side reciever optic mount. Also if you are going to be doing a lot of upgrades that may/may not require some modifications to the reciever itself, I think it's better to hack and beat up a cheap plaining Jane AK than a much nicer one like a SGL or a Krebs.

Gundam
09-29-2010, 3:10 PM
Saiga?

That would be ideal, but it sounds like getting and converting one will cost around $6-700 after it's all said and done? A little more than I want to spend. Now if I was looking for something with a monte carlo stock, then I would pick up a Saiga for sure.

Bigtwin
09-29-2010, 6:36 PM
That would be ideal, but it sounds like getting and converting one will cost around $6-700 after it's all said and done? A little more than I want to spend. Now if I was looking for something with a monte carlo stock, then I would pick up a Saiga for sure.

WHAT? Not at all! I picked up my Saiga from Norse Armory in Woodland for $429(now the seem to be $399), I don't know what is charged to convert yours but you can do it yourself for $100 or less I believe.

Others will chime in on that part!

Gundam
09-29-2010, 11:24 PM
WHAT? Not at all! I picked up my Saiga from Norse Armory in Woodland for $429(now the seem to be $399), I don't know what is charged to convert yours but you can do it yourself for $100 or less I believe.

Others will chime in on that part!

Hmm I may check them out if true

SJgunguy24
09-29-2010, 11:47 PM

No way, only buying the minimum of compliance parts, your talking 75-80$ over the price of the base Saiga. That's doing the work yourself.

norcal77
09-30-2010, 12:03 AM
I'd get the WASR from Henderson Defense, my friend has one and loves it.

Converting a Saiga looks pretty easy also.

There's actually a build party in Sacramento being staged right now..maybe go to that and build your own?