View Full Version : DDM4v2 LW

09-29-2010, 11:50 AM
hey i'm probably gonna buy the DDM4v2 but noticed that there is a Light Weight one too. what is the difference other than it being lighter? which one would you guys prefer? thanks. p.s. I was also thinking about getting a Noveske complete lower receiver but can only find them stripped...does anyone know where i can find a complete one? btw, they are legal right? thanks

09-29-2010, 12:34 PM
It looks like the only difference is the barrel.

If you want something really light weight, you would look for a 16" lightweight mid-length barrel that uses standard hand guards instead of a rail system. I didn't see a rifle like that at DD.

I like a light weight but the weight difference isn't huge. On the negative side a light weight barrel will heat up faster and that will hurt accuracy if you are doing ~rapid fire for more than maybe 10-20 rounds without some cool down time.

Accuracy probably isn't your primary concern if you are forced to do that...

JD Machine makes Noveske lowers so unless you just want the name, look at JD Machine. Also pretty much all lowers are ~equal if they are in spec. Assembling a lower isn't hard either.

I would tell you where to buy a complete lower but I've never bought one and have no desire to buy one.

09-29-2010, 12:43 PM
thanks wash!!

09-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Oh, in the editing, I removed a sentence.

I prefer a mid-length gas system on a 16" barrel.

The DDM4v2 you listed is a carbine gas system.

09-29-2010, 1:01 PM
what's the difference?

09-29-2010, 1:03 PM
I have the DD M4...Love it. You will be happy to say the least. The gun is a shooter.

09-29-2010, 1:03 PM
i have another question. I'm thinking about getting the complete DDM4v2 upper receiver and a Noveske N4 lower receiver. what other parts do i need to finish the rifle other than the stock assembly kit?

09-29-2010, 2:17 PM
The mid-length gas system has the gas port closer to the muzzle of the barrel.

The carbine gas system was designed for a barrel shorter than 14.5". The rifle gas system was designed for a 20" barrel. The mid-length is in between, just like 16" is between 14.5 and 20". Mid-length is considered to be just about ideal for a 16" barrel because the gas pressure is lower than the carbine system but it still has sufficient dwell time so you get slower, smoother cycling of the action which is easier on the gun and potentially more reliable.

The other difference is that the handguards and gas block/front sight position are different. You get a slightly longer sight radius on a mid-length and more handguard to grip/more rail area.

To complete a stripped lower, you need an LPK, buffer assembly, and a buffer tube + stock.

If you want a collapsing stock, you need a carbine buffer, carbine buffer spring, carbine buffer tube (I recomend mil-spec), castle nut, buffer tube retainer plate and the stock itself (make sure it matches the buffer tube).

If you want a fixed stock, you need a rifle buffer tube, rifle buffer, rifle buffer spring and a stock.

You will also need to make sure it's California compliant, so add a Bullet Button or whichever mag lock/featureless configuration you choose.

09-29-2010, 2:57 PM
ok thanks!