PDA

View Full Version : SBR

metalliman545
09-29-2010, 4:41 AM
i saw that Oberz mosin nagant pistol and thought it would be cool to make one. i understand getting a SBR or making one requires the paper work and its hard to get in cali.

well heres the good thing, i live in georgia as well, could i buy a full size mosin and make it into one with the proper paperwork and bring it back to california and have it be legal?

till44
09-29-2010, 7:45 AM
No. One, you need Fed permission to transport NFA firearms across state lines and two, CA laws rule when you're in CA, even if it is legal in another state.

And three and the most important point, why would you want to waste a tax stamp on a mosin nagant?

metalliman545
09-29-2010, 8:24 AM
the same reason i bought a harley, because i wanted to.

jtmkinsd
09-29-2010, 8:50 AM
the same reason i bought a harley, because i wanted to.

lol...understood...but till44 is right about NFA firearms. Dual residency doesn't exempt you from CA law. Another member outlines the law and procedures for SBRs in CA...good luck

www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=82693

technique
09-29-2010, 9:09 AM
What you can do is an AOW shotgun or AK/AK/Sig/FAL pistol AOW.

AOWs are approved for Ca. Buy it and tax it in your free state. Should you decide to move permanently to Ca. send the ATF a change of address form
and you shouldn't have an issue.

Since it is an AOW, I don't think you need a 5320.20 to travel across state lines with it. I think AOWs and silencers (so long as they're legal in the state you're traveling to/through) are exempt from .20s'.

metalliman545
09-29-2010, 9:09 AM
soo according to that i would be have to apply for my C&R mosin nagant to become a SBR through the ATF and once its approved i would be able to hacksaw it. because C&R SBRs are legal in california. and that method is approved. i have family in law enforcement so i wonder if they could help me out. i wonder if me being Active Duty army will help as well.

ke6guj
09-29-2010, 9:32 AM
Since it is an AOW, I don't think you need a 5320.20 to travel across state lines with it. I think AOWs and silencers (so long as they're legal in the state you're traveling to/through) are exempt from .20s'.correct, no need for a 5320.20 for an AOW. However, it is a good idea to file a 5320.20 for an AOW if you are moving it into CA. That way ATF can update the registry with the correct info, and it gives you some paperwork you can show the local cop that shows that it is legal in CA. that you have "permission" to own it.

soo according to that i would be have to apply for my C&R mosin nagant to become a SBR through the ATF and once its approved i would be able to hacksaw it. because C&R SBRs are legal in california. and that method is approved. i have family in law enforcement so i wonder if they could help me out. i wonder if me being Active Duty army will help as well.
ATF has now taken the position that if you SBR a C&R host gun, the resulting SBR is not a C&R SBR. Because it isn't a C&R SBR, you need the CADOJ Dangerous Weapons Permit first, which isn't gonna happen. And no, being .mil doesn't help in this case. There is a Military Assault Weapon Permit System, but there is no Military SBR Permit system.

metalliman545
09-29-2010, 9:40 AM
correct, no need for a 5320.20 for an AOW. However, it is a good idea to file a 5320.20 for an AOW if you are moving it into CA. That way ATF can update the registry with the correct info, and it gives you some paperwork you can show the local cop that shows that it is legal in CA. that you have "permission" to own it.

ATF has now taken the position that if you SBR a C&R host gun, the resulting SBR is not a C&R SBR. Because it isn't a C&R SBR, you need the CADOJ Dangerous Weapons Permit first, which isn't gonna happen. And no, being .mil doesn't help in this case. There is a Military Assault Weapon Permit System, but there is no Military SBR Permit system.

i meant being military would help me in my case when i send it to the chief.

average joe civilian i would feel has an even lower chance of getting something weapon related signed then compared to Prior Service or Active Duty

Nathan Krynn
09-29-2010, 9:49 AM
When you say "send it to the chief" if you are referring to the ATF form 1 I can tell you it is much easier to have a weapons personal trust, then you don't need anyone's sig but the ATF.

metalliman545
09-29-2010, 9:53 AM
i was loking into that i might see if JAG can make me one for free.

metalliman545
09-29-2010, 9:53 AM
it would be a living trust orrrr what? just so i can go and look it up

technique
09-29-2010, 9:56 AM
When you say "send it to the chief" if you are referring to the ATF form 1 I can tell you it is much easier to have a weapons personal trust, then you don't need anyone's sig but the ATF.

Chief as in Chief law enforcement officer or CLEO prior to ATF.
In free states, no, it's easier to have it signed off. Cheaper too.

technique
09-29-2010, 9:58 AM
it would be a living trust orrrr what? just so i can go and look it up

Revocable living trust. Set up by someone with NFA know-how. But if you're in a free state, just take to the Sheriff/CLEO of your county.

Nathan Krynn
09-29-2010, 10:02 AM
I have mine in Florida. It is much easier with a weapons personal trust. You do not need any law enforcement to sign off at all with it. You fill out the form 1, send a copy of trust, send $200 and wait. No need to ever have law enforcement sign anything at all. Heck a lot of sheriffs I know won't sign them at all around here, a trust gets around it all.

It is not a living trust or a regular personal trust. It has to be a weapons specific personal trust. It also protects your family as it states what happens to the weapons after you pass.

metalliman545
09-29-2010, 10:03 AM
i think ill check out some of that stuff out at the local shop when i get back to georgia (im in iraq atm)

Nathan Krynn
09-29-2010, 10:04 AM
That's the name revocable living trust, I got the name wrong.

EDIT: It must be where I live as the sheriffs won't sign them unless you know them.

metalliman545
09-29-2010, 10:11 AM
and this is for SBSs and AOWs? or just AOWs (referring to legality in california)

NiteQwill
09-29-2010, 10:16 AM
and this is for SBSs and AOWs? or just AOWs (referring to legality in california)

AOWs

Since SBR/SBS are not applicable to us in CA.

JAG, AFAIK, will not be able to do a weapon's trust, trust me, I've tried.

You will have to fork out the $400-600 and hire an attorney. With the deployment money, that should be no issue, right? ;)

metalliman545
09-29-2010, 10:18 AM
well it WOULDNT be such an issue if was getting E6 deployment pay instead of 6 months of E2 and 4 months now of E3 lol

metalliman545
09-29-2010, 10:19 AM
i should definantly look up some super crazy cool unique "evil" AOW and try to get one

NiteQwill
09-29-2010, 10:20 AM
well it WOULDNT be such an issue if was getting E6 deployment pay instead of 6 months of E2 and 4 months now of E3 lol

I feel you. ;) I was there once. Hell, I was an E1 for AGES due to "lost paperwork" issues. ;)

Now I'm commissioning.

We all start somewhere. Good luck and come home safe.

ke6guj
09-29-2010, 10:23 AM
you need a CADOJ dangerous weapons permit along with the CLEO sign-off (or trust), and CADOJ does not issue DW permits, except in special cases. A trust or CLEO sign-off is not good enough in CA to get a modern SBR. And ATF is apparantly taking hte position that a SBR Form 1 filed today on a C&R host gun makes it a modern SBR, not a C&R SBR.

metalliman545
09-29-2010, 10:25 AM
I feel you. ;) I was there once. Hell, I was an E1 for AGES due to "lost paperwork" issues. ;)

Now I'm commissioning.

We all start somewhere. Good luck and come home safe.

Yea and you made less as an e3 then i do now. a couple of my NCOs would tell us how when they were E1s they were pulling in 650 a month and thought it was big money.
oh well, pt test on saturday, if i pass, get my E4

DB2
09-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Buy a mosin. Demill receiver to federal standards. Do your barrel work. Manufacture receiver with the demilled parts. DO NOT INSTALL RiFLE STOCK!!!

Now you you have a completely legal Mosin Nagant pistol, that doesn't need any NFA papers.