View Full Version : Transfer question regarding deceased relative's shotguns

09-28-2010, 10:52 PM
My uncle recently passed away and my father wants to take possession of his two shot guns, we are in California and my uncle lived in Arizona. What is the procedure in transferring ownership to my dad? My uncle is my mom's brother.

Mssr. Eleganté
09-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Do you know if the firearms were left to either your father or mother as a "bequest" in your uncle's will? If not, does the executor of your uncle's estate want the firearms to go to your mother because of "intestate succession"?

Transfers by bequest and intestate succession are exempt from the Federal requirement that interstate transfers go through an FFL.

If there was a bequest to your father or mother then they can just go pick up the firearms or they can be shipped directly to them. The same goes if your mother gets them through intestate succession. (I'm pretty sure your dad can't get them through intestate succession, at least while other blood relatives of your uncle are still alive.

09-29-2010, 6:10 AM
Didn't your uncle give them to your grandpa or grandma while they were still alive and then grandma and grandpa give them to your dad? Hasn't he had them in the state since a long time ago? No? Then they need to come through an FFL unless they are bequeathed and all that jazz.