View Full Version : 16" Carbine Gas System Heavy Buffers?

09-28-2010, 10:33 PM
I got a Stag 2T Carbine... I added a FSC556 and it helped a BUNCH, but im thinking of changing the buffer weight now to see if I can improve it further.

What would you guys recommend. H2, H3, someting else? Ive heard some using a 9mm buffer but that seems a bit heavy.

Right now the buffer tube, buffer, and spring is what came with the AR. I am going to use the existing stuff for a new build.

What would you do and why.

09-28-2010, 10:34 PM
Standard buffer for a carbine gas system. Any particular reason you went with a carbine gas versus a midlength?

09-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Standard buffer for a carbine gas system. Any particular reason you went with a carbine gas versus a midlength?

Because at the time I didn’t know any better. It was my first AR and I went with a complete Stag 2T.

I bought 2 more JD lowers since; I’m looking at a 14.5 or 16” BMC middy for my next build. Possible a 24” BB or a Mark 12 clone too. In the meantime, I’m just playing, learning, and fine tuning my Stag to my liking.

I just hear a bunch of positive things about the 14.5 with a H2 or H3 buffer and the system being very soft.

09-28-2010, 11:00 PM
Live and learn.

Anyhow, with a carbine gas system, use a standard buffer. Anything else and you might shortstroke with commercial .223 ammo. Not to mention that the various Stags I've seen (and owned) have different (inconsistent) diameter gas tubes making them pesky and unreliable.

14.5" and a MK12 is a good combo, but I'm not biased. ;)

09-28-2010, 11:53 PM
An H buffer will work well. I personally wouldn't go any heavier, but others use H2 or the Spike's ST-T2 buffer with no problems.

09-29-2010, 6:43 AM
I have a Spikes ST-T2 buffer in my M&P15 and haven't had any issues. I put the buffer in at the same time I put my battlecomp on and it shoots great. Haven't had any short stroking and pretty much all I shoot is the cheap federal bulk packs from Walmart.

Nathan Krynn
09-29-2010, 7:13 AM
Personally on a carbine gas system I like a standard carbine buffer but I do swap to a Tubbs spring.

09-29-2010, 2:00 PM
I have a H2 buffer, Sprinco blue buffer spring along with a BCM BCG (auto) in my Stag 2H.

Noticed a slight change in recoil after I swapped out these parts, recoil feels smoother and not as sharp of a jolt.
I've put 300 rounds thru it so far with no problems using Federal .223 value packs from Walmart.