PDA

View Full Version : About to be a New AK Owner - GIVE ME THE SKINNY!

mwt1980
09-28-2010, 9:55 PM
About to purchase my first AK... Give me the skinny.

How often do i clean it?

Can i really shoot Wolf ammo through it? i have always been told wolf = bad

Anything else i need to know?

tomd1584
09-28-2010, 9:58 PM
Answers in Red!

How often do i clean it? NEVER..seriously.

Can i really shoot Wolf ammo through it? i have always been told wolf = bad WRONG.. Wolf is fine.

Anything else i need to know? NOPE. Shoot away!

bigthaiboy
09-28-2010, 10:03 PM
I clean my AKs when I remember to do it or when it gets very dirty. There really isn't much maintenance required.

Wolf ammo is made in Russia, home of the AK. The AK was designed to shoot steel cased ammo.

Finally, buy lots of ammo, and enjoy.

mwt1980
09-28-2010, 10:09 PM
That's what I thought ...SWEET!

SJgunguy24
09-28-2010, 10:10 PM

How often do i clean it?

Everytime you shoot corrosive ammo through it.

This is not your pet AR that needs to be coddled and fed super exotic ammo. Shoot the dirty crappy commie ammo through your dirty crappy commie gun.

That is the enemy's gun, you should know your enemy as well as your best friend, that rifle will be your best friend.

iareConfusE
09-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Don't forget to point and laugh when an AR shooter next to you jams :D

nicoroshi
09-28-2010, 10:28 PM

ROFLMFAO!

I love it!

Just read the quote in my siggy from AnimalK.

It sums it up nicely.

tomd1584
09-28-2010, 10:38 PM

cuz AK's never jam. Riiiiiiight......

iareConfusE
09-28-2010, 10:43 PM

Lacking a sense of humor are we?

MrPlink
09-28-2010, 10:50 PM
As long as you know which end to point down range I think you are good. Along with feeding it the crappiest ammo you can find, don't forget to feed it a lot of mud and dirt ;)

tomd1584
09-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Lacking a sense of humor are we?

Nope! :p

SJgunguy24
09-28-2010, 10:58 PM

The only failure with an AK I've seen was with an unconverted Saiga 308.

A pin fell out of the FCG and took that gun out for the day. One more reason to convert any and all Saigas

Zonie
09-28-2010, 11:07 PM

[QUOTE]How often do i clean it?

If you live in a humid climate, clean and oil every time you shoot or your bore will rust out. If you live in a dry climate, clean it whenever the hell you feel like it.

Can i really shoot Wolf ammo through it?

Yes.

i have always been told wolf = bad

The AK was specifically designed to stand up to bad ammo and other abuse that would destroy most other rifles. That's one of its main virtues. Shoot any ammo you want in it, as long as it's non-corrosive. (Last time I checked, Wolf was labeled non-corrosive.)

Zonie
09-28-2010, 11:08 PM

http://www.mouseguns.com/compare.htm

C.W.M.V.
09-29-2010, 12:15 AM

Love that

Mac
09-29-2010, 3:47 PM
[Russian voice]
Opulence. I have it. This one. Mmmnm I like zee best, but I also like savings zee money. So when FFL tell me have AK pekage for less. I jump in it. [/Russian voice]

C.W.M.V.
09-29-2010, 4:19 PM
[Russian voice]
Opulence. I have it. This one. Mmmnm I like zee best, but I also like savings zee money. So when FFL tell me have AK pekage for less. I jump in it. [/Russian voice]

:rofl2:

pyro3k2
09-29-2010, 5:21 PM
Recoil often used to relocate shoulders thrown out by the previous shot.

nrgcruizer
09-29-2010, 5:50 PM

How often do i clean it?

1. If you use corrosive, clean it right after your range trip with windex/ammonia solvent, or you'll wind up with rust on parts of your AK. Other than that, stick it in the river for a couple of weeks. Don't clean it. Slap a 10/30 mag in it and fire.

2. Wolf makes non-corrosive now, I believe. I have non-corrosive silver bears....But MFS has brass you can reload now for $6.99 a box @ Cabela's.

3. Don't buy the Tapco Black Polymer stock furniture set for it. After firing 10 consecutive rounds, you'll feel the heat emitting from the barrel. Get K-Var, or keep it stock.

Greg-Dawg
09-29-2010, 6:03 PM
Make sure that the public range allows Wolf...most likely not.

ZX-10R
09-29-2010, 6:19 PM

How often do i clean it? I clean every other range visit. I shoot ~100-150 rounds a sitting. The rest is with AR and PSL. It is an AK pattern not an AR.

Can i really shoot Wolf ammo through it? i have always been told wolf = bad. The person who told you this is an idiot. You can shoot anything in there. Some AKs are picky about round type...My old WASR in WA would not like HP rounds while my new WASR here will shoot anything and everything.

Anything else i need to know? Make sure to get a AK sight tool and change the muzzle device for recoil...Noticeable when I swapped the 45 degree one for a AK74 style. Get a scope mount they are a great way to add optics and red dots.

Join AK Files...That is where you will find some great info on AK pattern rifles. Too much hearsay here IMO.

Bigtwin
09-29-2010, 6:25 PM
I have a Saiga Ak and treat it like every other gun I own. Shoot and give a regular cleaning(I have read many times it isn't nessasary for AK's ) but it is what I do. My Saiga will eat any brand/type of ammo I feed it and I am happy with that.
Remember the conditions they were designed to work in!

Mac
09-29-2010, 7:40 PM
Lets get the Wolf ammo thing set on a straight path for the newer AK guys. It is fine. Reliable and cheaper (Relatively speaking). In the old days you could buy it for a song.

I have used it a lot over the years. I just moved on to a different Russian Flavor from a different plant. So at times I find myself hating on it when I really should not cuz it is basically the same steel cased Russian ammo.

I dunno - Brand loyalty I guess. [Russian voice] I also like to saves zee money. [/Russian voice]:D

GoingPro
09-29-2010, 11:46 PM
i love my arsenal SGL-21

Scott Connors
09-30-2010, 12:17 AM

Classic! :rofl2: