PDA

View Full Version : Yugo SKS impulse buy

mcsoupman
09-28-2010, 7:09 PM
:confused:
Ok, so I swung by Big 5 they had a Yugo for $299. I know others are selling for $379. So I looked it over and bought it. This is my first SKS and I was looking for something fun.

Should I have waited?????

XDRoX
09-28-2010, 7:40 PM
A Yugo SKS is a great rifle and $299 sounds fair in today's market. You'll love it. Everyone should own an SKS. The 7.62x39 is a powerful little round. I need to take my SKS out more and show it some love.

Booshanky
09-28-2010, 7:44 PM
Got mine for 179. You won't be disappointed. Great guns.

PS. Mine is an m59, not the m59/66. Basically same gun minus the grenade launcher barrel attachment and sight.

dmax11
09-28-2010, 7:54 PM
great price, what kind of condition is it in? i got my unissued one from Big 5 about a month ago for 399

the only issue i have discovered and now hopefully have resolved but have yet to take it out to see if it fixed the problem is that the tack welded and screwed on muzzle brake was likely causing my yugo to shoot higher once the barrel heated up at the range. were talking a rise of over 1 foot at 100 yards maybe more, its hard to say because i was shooting open sights with no spotting scope so i was attempting to adjust for it shooting low at times etc.

i got the brake off by carefully grinding off the weld and unscrewing the brake with a dremel and a disc cutting wheel. it may also have been the cause for my bad grouping as well because it appears that it was crooked on the barrel to boot and i'm not the first person that has the threads on their yugo crooked from the factory, someone else had this issue and had to drill out his tapco muzzle brake to keep it from effecting his accuracy

mcsoupman
09-28-2010, 7:59 PM
yeah, I just read that the brakes are usually junk and the crown might need to be refinished. How do I know if that is the case or should I just plan on it anyway?

How much does that usually cost?

bob_e95482
09-28-2010, 8:01 PM
I paid $399 about a year and a half ago for a 59/66. Great rifle.

ridered55
09-28-2010, 8:05 PM
How recent was that price? Which store location?

Milsurps
09-28-2010, 8:07 PM

More like what took you so long ? ;)

Your going have fun, and more. I have a Yugo and a Romanian and their both fun shooters. Enjoy your new toy

mcsoupman
09-28-2010, 8:14 PM
ridered - blackstone yesterday. It sounded like there was another one. I know there was one in Selma, but for the $399 price. I am not sure why it was only $279. I looked down the barrel, looked at the bolt, worked the action and said, "mine please."

I was afraid I would not get that price again, so I bought. I spent like 2 hours looking at Youtube disassemblies and wish I would have taken at least some of it apart first. Cosmoline was evident but not as bad as some of the other mosin nagants I have handled.

Orcutt, Big 5 was out of stock of them for awhile. I was asking for like the last year or so about every month, took a few months off and then bam!

****UPDATE, when I picked her up the manager asked who I told, b/c they are getting lots of calls. I guess I got super lucky and this was the last one. It was clearance priced from their old stock. All the "new" stock is $399.

dmax11
09-28-2010, 8:57 PM
yeah, I just read that the brakes are usually junk and the crown might need to be refinished. How do I know if that is the case or should I just plan on it anyway?

How much does that usually cost?

take it out and shoot it quite a bit and you will find out if you have any issues with it, then if you do i would start by cutting the brake off or getting it cut down behind the brake and recrowned. if it shoots good enough for you as is then leave it :)

mcsoupman
09-28-2010, 9:35 PM
Thank dmax11

With stripper clips are all made equal? Best place to buy some?

dmax11
09-28-2010, 9:58 PM
unlike mosin nagant strippers i've never heard of any issues with SKS strippers besides having rounds fall out of them if they are well used or too loose, easily fixed by either bending them back to shape correctly or using a zip tie on one end to prevent rounds from coming off that end making the single sided i suppose.

i picked up a handful of strippers at the last gun show in my area, they were well used but all worked flawlessly, i really did pay too much for them though (2 dollars each, it was an impulse buy as i did not have any yet) i would recommend looking online you can get them cheaper or if you get real lucky you might find some surplus ammo that comes on strippers that is in fact where most of the strippers have came from anyways as i have yet to see any aftermarket made ones unlike the mosin nagant. i bought a pack of mosin repro strippers also at the gun show as an impulse buy against my better judgment and they really are junk and not worth the hassle, its easier to load a mosin round by round due to the rimmed cartridge and the cheap strippers do a poor job of keeping the rounds in proper alignment with the rims overlapped correctly to work all the time

bigthaiboy
09-28-2010, 10:10 PM
When I saw the $299 price in the OP, first thing I did was check the date the thread was posted. Thought it was a necropost because of the price. $299 is a good price for CA.

Stripper clips, I like the ones which have more of a dark blued finish. There is a little sheen to the finish (might be Chinese). Those load with ease. The clips that have more of a flat black parkerized finish seem to load with a lot more friction. Yugo stripper clips are a PITA.

mcsoupman
09-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Ok, anyone look at the shernic gun works "bullpup" conversion?

http://sgworks.com/contact-us/

Sorry if this is a repeat but they are CA based and it appears that they just started filling orders.

I don't even have my gun yet and I am asking about conversions :confused:

Sorry, but this looked so interesting and tacticool. I am reading a lot more around about SKS and it seems pretty split about conversions being good or not.

dmax11
09-28-2010, 11:06 PM
it looks promising, if you want to read more on new users experiences visit the thread on Survivor's SKS boards

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=60348.0

there is also lots of other great information on there on all SKS's as well as a neat chart that will tell you approximately when your Yugo was made based on its Serial number, mine is a P series and that sets it at 1979 mfg date. plus lots of very knowledgeable SKS owners and gunsmiths.

mcsoupman
09-28-2010, 11:29 PM
Thanks dmax11!!!!

dmax11
09-28-2010, 11:52 PM
Thanks dmax11!!!!

no problem, there is/has been a lot of garbage modifications out there for the SKS because its been such a popular cheap semi auto rifle for many years. best advice i can give really is to research anything for it before you buy it. i intend to use mine for plinking and target shooting for fun and to a lesser extent do some small game and possibly even try taking deer with it once i get a proper scope mount and scope installed and am confident with how it shoots. they are great rifles and generally speaking unless you want problems better to leave well enough alone with them when it comes to things like after market mags and cheap no gunsmith scope mounts. they are cheap for a reason and will only cause you problems.

the shernic bullpup stock conversion appears to be fairly well made and designed but the major flaw if you wanted such a weapon is that aftermarket detachable mags are pretty unreliable with SKS's for the most part, many cause jamming and without a modifcation to the bolt they will not accept the mags unless the bolt is held open either by hand or by using the empty mag hold open latch.

if you want a tacticool rifle you really are better off with the AR platform or something similar. if you want a bullet proof reliable semi auto close to mid range carbine then the SKS does suit this purpose very well from what i've read but they are not the most precise carbines built that is for sure but with some work they can do pretty well.

mcsoupman
09-29-2010, 12:19 AM
Yeah, I hadn't intended to do anything to it but make sure it was a good shooter. Been using a lot of time researching the rifle. And found the bullpup youtube video. Terrible video but the gun looked awesome!!!

That sksboard site is great. Thanks again.

stitchnicklas
09-29-2010, 12:35 AM
where was the purchase area at please.....:shrug::shrug:

Kerplow
09-29-2010, 12:35 AM
:useless:

i got mine for $179.99 about 7 years ago. first rifle, good stuff.

dmax11
09-29-2010, 7:58 AM
:useless:

i got mine for $179.99 about 7 years ago. first rifle, good stuff.

i would guess its still in cali jail so don't hold your breath

mcsoupman
09-29-2010, 9:04 AM
i would guess its still in cali jail so don't hold your breath

Yep, still have 8 days to go.

Noobert
09-29-2010, 9:07 AM
Everyone should own an SKS.

This phrase can be applied to everything :D

Reductio
09-29-2010, 9:48 AM
The Big 5 SKS's I've seen are actually pretty good quality from what I've seen. I have a M59/66, but the guy 2 owners ago took off the grenade sights and bayo. :( They're fun guns, enjoy it!

ckhb
09-29-2010, 11:52 AM
What are the legalities with removing the muzzlebreak on the cali yugo besides 922? Technically California already messed with it removing the grenade launcher so what law states the break has to be welded? I thought breakers had to be welded to ring the oal to 31 inches?

dmax11
09-29-2010, 12:28 PM
What are the legalities with removing the muzzlebreak on the cali yugo besides 922? Technically California already messed with it removing the grenade launcher so what law states the break has to be welded? I thought breakers had to be welded to ring the oal to 31 inches?

there are people selling 59/66's with screwed on tapco brakes at gun shows here in cali, i seen one just a few weeks ago and no it was not welded on.

nobody is sure why Century welded the brake they put on them. what i do know though is that century pretty much made these for Big 5 only, nobody else can get them so Big 5 might have asked they be permanently affixed to avoid any possible trouble from CA even though its not necessary to do so. kind of like how most stores now keep both rifle and handgun ammo behind the counter or locked up even though the new law only states that handgun ammo needs to be behind the counter.

adding a Muzzle brake does activate 922r, some have speculated that Century got a pass from the BATFE on this because they were removing only a device that was illegal in CA and replacing it with a part to keep similar finish to the rifle. if you were to take it off your not breaking 922r because it was not an original part anyways but putting a tapco on would break 922r but the thing about 922r is that it only makes the manufacture illegal not possession or sale of non 922r compliant rifles so in order to get in trouble you must be caught in the act if manufacturing a non-922r complaint imported firearm something that really is only enforceable on importers like century and the like. if you want to play it safe however there are many simple replacement parts that are made in the USA specifically for 922r compliance like triggers and various trigger group parts, gas pistons, operating rods and firing pins. plus aftermarket stocks and muzzle brakes that are made in the USA can also count as 922r compliance parts

New2guns
09-30-2010, 12:51 PM
:confused:
Ok, so I swung by Big 5 they had a Yugo for $299. I know others are selling for $379. So I looked it over and bought it. This is my first SKS and I was looking for something fun.

At that price heck no! 46 states can buy them at that price but I haven't seen a California price that cheap from a retailer. I paid $449 for mine but I have a control issue. I later got $100 back when it went on sale for $349 and still got a good buy. I don't think it had ever been issued. There were no signs of use other than the welded brake on it. It took me a whole day to clean it though. I have just learned to bite the bullet since California is my home I know I have to pay 25% higher than all other US citizens. It's a good buy and a good rifle (IMHO)

mcsoupman
09-30-2010, 2:05 PM
Thanks N2G! I am anxiously awaiting. I think I am more giddy about this rifle than I was with my first pistol a year and a half ago.

mcsoupman
10-11-2010, 1:56 PM
Here she is!!!

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l80/mcsoupman/sks.jpg

New2guns
10-11-2010, 2:32 PM
[QUOTE=mcsoupman;5107369]Here she is!!!

Beautifull, you love the way she shoots too.

Lucky Scott
10-11-2010, 5:08 PM
Good price, welcome to the club.

I love my SKS.
Shot it last saturday, tried 4 different ammo types and it loved them all.

Noxx
10-11-2010, 5:37 PM
These days, that's a good price. Sadly the days of the $150 SKS are gone.

What you get is an accurate-enough carbine that is reliable as the sunrise with about any ammo, and packs the most commonly available ammunition in the world, effective from medium game, to light vehicle.

Everybody should have a few, congrats on yours :D

IrishPirate
10-11-2010, 5:41 PM
YES YOU SHOULD HAVE WAITED!!!!!

until the went on sale for $279.00 :D

great buy man, I'm planning on getting one after i get my .308

Nor-Cal
10-11-2010, 5:50 PM
Enjoy your yugo sks, its a very fun rifle!

mcsoupman
10-12-2010, 3:25 PM
Not sure when I will be able to shoot her, but I plan on my cleaning her this weekend. Thankfully the wood is not gummed up too bad. The parts are all greased, but ask someone said, "cosmoline is your friend."

dmax11
10-12-2010, 5:39 PM
Cosmoline is only your friend if you do not intend to use it.

it is VERY important to get all of the cosmoline off the metal parts esp out of the inside of the bolt. Yugo's just like almost every other unmodified SKS uses a free floating firing pin, if the pin get stuck forward you get slam fires and full auto experiences.

its extremely important to clean the bolt very well, you can soak it in mineral spirits or boil it in hot water to get the cosmo out or do both to be safe, that is what i did but i never got any more out after i soaked it in MS for a few hours and worked the firing pin back and forth till the fluid stopped coming out cosmo stained. mine was unissued though so i had no concern there was anything else in the channel besides cosmo.

if it appears it was used before and this is easy to tell just check the rails the bolt carrier rides on, on the receiver for wear in the bluing on the metal. if there is virtually none its unissued. if it has some wear its not and you really should dismantle the bolt and clean the firing pin channel out with some pipe cleaners to make sure there is nothing else in there that can get the pin stuck on.

as for the rest of the metal parts, mineral spirits work great or boil them your choice :)

for the stock a black garbage back tied up and hung from a tree in the hot sun will get a ton of cosmo out, or the dashboard of a car works as well if you don't mind the stink of cosmo for a week after.

Vanilla Gorilla
10-12-2010, 5:49 PM
Nice buy just remember it is a sks not a sniper rifle I just can't stand it when people mount a 3x9 scope on them and think they are a super sniper as long as you just remember it is a sks and just have fun with it you can't go wrong

ElectronWrangler
10-12-2010, 8:07 PM
Also be aware of the firing pin spring mod, prevents any possible slam fire doubles. Parts are cheap from Brownells and super easy to install.
EW

mcsoupman
10-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Hey thanks guys. I plan on complete dis-assembly, including the firing pin channel to clean. I have looked over the rifle and have not found any markings other than the serial numbers. I thought I should see the armory markings somewhere.

Ah-ha! I found another site linked from sks boards that dmax sent me to. Mine is an "I" serial so it is from 1972. Pretty sweet.